• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Final Beatles song comes out next week

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
I agree with your point but…
and its always "he didn't overplay when everyone else was getting crazy",
Yes and he should honestly be praised for this. Nick Mason from Pink Floyd is the same way, an amazing drummer not for his technical skill but ability to feel a song.
"he was left handed so his fills were backwards",
Unironically Ringos most impressive feat. Even regular left handed people don’t play fills backwards but he was playing on a right handed kit. It allowed him to develop a really unique sound people still try to replicate.
"he followed what George was doing in here comes the sun", "he played really tight to the tempo" and "OMG! A day in the life!".
Agreed this is all nonsense.
He wasn't a genius, he was just a good solid drummer who did a couple of fills with weird counts in three or four of the 200 something songs the beatles made. I feel like a faggot even arguing this point.
And I agree. He wasn’t some genius he was just a good drummer. Saying he was a genius is just the far reaction to the equally far point of “Ringo did nothing for the band and any other drummer would be better!” which just isn’t true either.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout
To be fair they were right for that because that song fucking sucks.
fuck yeah they were and fuck yeah it does. Can you imagine having written "All Things Must Pass", gotten the Beatles to work on it, and then it gets shoved aside for some bullshit about some faggot ass and his gay hammer? George must have been fawkin seeeeeeething and brooooooding simultaneously.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
fuck yeah they were and fuck yeah it does. Can you imagine having written "All Things Must Pass", gotten the Beatles to work on it, and then it gets shoved aside for some bullshit about some faggot ass and his gay hammer? George must have been fawkin seeeeeeething and brooooooding simultaneously.
Because in my opinion Paul Mccartney is a fucking corn ball. The guy can only write about childish subjects or love. I hate John Lennon but the guy at least pretended to be deep no matter how superficial it was. And then Harrison was ACTUALLY deep.

Mitch Weaver

Wave bye bye, staIker
Forum Clout
To be fair Paul was the only one that tried to help George out with ATMP but George looked to Lennon for validation and that junkie gave zero fucks.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout
To be fair Paul was the only one that tried to help George out with ATMP but George looked to Lennon for validation and that junkie gave zero fucks.

I mean, maybe, heyeyeyey, Paul might have been doing George a favor on purpose letting him hold on to some of that shit for is eventual solo album

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
I don't hate ringo Starr, genuinely, I'd tell you if I did but i dont buy the weird unnecessary pushback against everyone saying he was the shittiest beatle for so long. Now he's the topic of gay clickbait articles titled things like "x reasons why Ringo Starr was ackshually a GENIUS", and its always "he didn't overplay when everyone else was getting crazy", "he was left handed so his fills were backwards", "he followed what George was doing in here comes the sun", "he played really tight to the tempo" and "OMG! A day in the life!". He wasn't a genius, he was just a good solid drummer who did a couple of fills with weird counts in three or four of the 200 something songs the beatles made. I feel like a faggot even arguing this point.

It's a running gag to always rag on Ringo - has been since I was even a wee lad. But you join a band yourself, and you're not the drummer? Even a modicum of talent is still impressive once you see how involved it is. You take my guitar away and throw me behind a drum set, I'm looking for the nearest gun to kill myself.

As for the song... I'm taking to it after several listens. My issue is the haze I'm hearing from John's voice, which is unavoidable considering the source. It gives me Wall of Sound vibes in a slight way, which I never liked.

It doesn't help that this is a first draft being published, either. You can tell it's lyrically weak. And don't get me started on the Harrison guitar, I'm a massive fan of him, you can tell what's Paul on this.

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
I guess that's why Phil Collins is a household name.

4e383acc058bc936099120d480a1c68f.jpg

.... unapologetically masculine.

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
Nice 6 failed marriages and a catalogue of Disney soundtracks, stupid. Imagine being one of the best drummers ever and trading that to be only the 2nd best Genesis singer.

In Phil's defense, Peter WAS the better singer in my mind - but Phil's era made way, way more money.

I won't defend the Tarzan soundtrack though. Or the "Can't Hurry Love" cover.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
In Phil's defense, Peter WAS the better singer in my mind - but Phil's era made way, way more money.

It makes me very sad, Ray.

Peter Gabriel era Genesis…EVERYONE was on their game. Tony Banks is one of my favorite prog Keyboardists, Steve Hackett is up there with Steve Howe (IN MY OPINION…) When Peter left they still produced some great albums musically up there with the Peter era like Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering…but after Steve Hackett left? Sayonara…Now Tony and Mike are left to write all the simple pop songs with 0 challenge.

They wasted such immense talent to make a shit ton of money. Nothing any member played on any album past “And then there were three” ever even came close to what they performed on previous albums.

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
It makes me very sad, Ray.

Peter Gabriel era Genesis…EVERYONE was on their game. Tony Banks is one of my favorite prog Keyboardists, Steve Hackett is up there with Steve Howe (IN MY OPINION…) When Peter left they still produced some great albums musically up there with the Peter era like Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering…but after Steve Hackett left? Sayonara…Now Tony and Mike are left to write all the simple pop songs with 0 challenge.

They wasted such immense talent to make a shit ton of money. Nothing any member played on any album past “And then there were three” ever even came close to what they performed on previous albums.

Steve has shared some great stories with me - and several very personal anecdotes that I will never repeat - but I can say that he knew how special that time was. Frankly, Mike and Tony told me the same things.

But hearing all their sides, slant/bias and all, what I came away understanding was it was never going to sustain itself.

First off, for as brilliant as it was, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway should have never worked. It was a Frankenstein monster, and Peter was the mad scientist. He was adamant that only he could write the lyrics (Tony, Mike and Steve's stories about how he argued this point were all very similar, so I believe them), which left the rest of them to "fill in the blanks" by creating the music together. That's not a healthy environment.

Not to mention the prog market was cooling, and while Peter sounds like the kind of fella who always wants to do his own thing, I think the rest of them (short of Steve) wanted to ultimately go mainstream. You can hear it in certain tracks of "Wind and Wuthering", how they were working towards "... And Then There Were Three".

They still created great music - "Duke" is an excellent blend of their prog skills and attempts at mainstream music. The Shapes album is pretty great in my eyes too. And I liked Abacab.

Yeah, I know there were two albums after that, we're not going to talk about them.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
Because in my opinion Paul Mccartney is a fucking corn ball. The guy can only write about childish subjects or love. I hate John Lennon but the guy at least pretended to be deep no matter how superficial it was. And then Harrison was ACTUALLY deep.
George was my favorite Beatle, Paul and John were very different when it came to songwriting which is why they worked so well together. Paul on his own can be corny, he needed John to tell him “what the fuck is that?”

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout

Very true, with Phil they went into a more commercial sound which resulted in lots of album sales and hits. It’s almost two different bands with the Gabriel era vs the Collins era since the Peter years was progressive rock and songs being at least 7-8 minutes long. I like the Phil stuff though, especially the Duke album. Calling All Stations isn’t bad, maybe would have been bigger if it was done under a different group name and not Genesis. Then again at the time Van Halen was also on their third singer so the idea of a third singer wasn’t crazy.

Mitch Weaver

Wave bye bye, staIker
Forum Clout
George tended to over play at times and insist on inserting his “call and answer” licks, I can hear that in the rhythm guitar on the new track.

Paul told him a few times to quit that shit and George would throw a bitch fit.

Here’s an example

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
Calling All Stations isn’t bad, maybe would have been bigger if it was done under a different group name and not Genesis.

So, a little story there: Tony let it slip one time that he did suggest that after Phil left. Mike was the one who shot it down immediately.

Mike's reasons were twofold: he had the Mechanics to do his own thing with, and he didn't want to start over. Both reasons were valid, but Tony just wanted to keep making music, period, and never had the solo success Phil or Mike did. Keeping the name would open more doors but I don't think it was as much of a deal breaker for him.

Genesis or not, getting to know the guy, I'd have worked with Tony no matter what. You have to get him, but once you do, he's a good man.