• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Worst scene in The Sopranos.

RobertMewler

Forum Clout
The first dinner party scene with Melfi and her friends had such terrible acting it takes you out of the scene. I know it's supposed to establish the characters but it's so hamhanded and clumsy.

There was one time someone (I think either Janice or AJ) was visiting Livia and Livia's hair part would be different (it'd move from left to right) at each cut. I love spotting flubs like that.

(((Meadow))) trying to dance sexy for her boyfriend but being all stiff and prudish was laughable.

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
WOKE UP THIS MORNING! GOT YOURSELF A GUN!
WOKE UP THIS! GOT YOURSELF A GUN! GOT YOURSELF A GUUUN!
REEWAARRRKAWARRKAWARRRKDOOOWWW!

the-sopranos-hbo.gif

Monk

Forum Clout
The scene where Vito is killed, because Phil was hiding in the motel room closet. Everyone thinks they are clever for saying Phil came out of the closet! and then speculating that he must hate Vito because he is gay as well. It's one of several things in the last season that were way too on the nose and not as clever as the writers thought.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't paying attention when they watched the show. Phil was probably bisexual and to a lot of people, that is just as bad as being gay. One of the only times in the show where Phil is shown in a good mood is when he's about to fuck his Ukrainian maid but Benny blows up the wire room as they're walking in. Phil's whole gay complex probably stems from discovering in prison that he could bust a nut from performing sex acts with another man.

the worst being the televised debate moderated by Montel Williams. The Italian guy saying "My ancestors braved the Middle Passage" was so stupid and historically inaccurate. And Montel's bug-eyed "Wha wha what?" response was so corny. Also the injuns protesting, one saying "Mussolini was Hitler's bitch." Why would that be offensive to the average Italian American like Artie Bucco? And Mussolini hated the mafia, especially since American intel agencies were using them against the Axis Powers in WW2, so that wouldn't bother the mobbed up guys either.

It's hard to say for certain without Imperioli explaining this stuff but you're making some leaps and assumptions that don't necessarily make sense. The whole point of the Middle Passage thing was that it was supposed to be a stupid thing for the guy to say and the entire interaction was pretty typical of what you might see on some shitty TV debate show including Montel's reaction. As far as the Mussolini insult, one of the recurring themes of the show is that the characters are all Italians and they center their entire identity/belief systems around that fact but at the same time, none of them know a fucking thing about actual Italians. The entire episode where they go to Napoli is just one scene after another of them showing how ignorant they are of real Italian culture. Artie Bucco not knowing Mussolini hated the mafia is part of the point.

Last edited:

Monk

Forum Clout
Also, the worst scene in the show is the one where Carmella visits the idiot kike shrink because everyone interprets the whole scene completely wrong. The shrink's advice about leaving Tony is incredibly idiotic as is the babbling nonsense about Tony reading Crime and Punishment in his jail cell after turning himself in. People just like that character/scene because he rips Carmella. The character who gives Carmella actual good advice comes a few episodes later when she talks to the African priest. One of the recurring themes throughout the show is that all of the white collar characters are incredibly ignorant of what a pathological criminal like Tony is capable of. It takes Melfi years to finally figure it out and she only does so after someone points out a very specific study by criminal psychologists.

G

Anyone who thinks that wasn't paying attention when they watched the show. Phil was probably bisexual and to a lot of people, the is just as bad as being gay. One of the only times in the show where Phil is shown in a good mood is when he's about to fuck his Ukrainian maid but Benny blows up the wire room as they're walking in. Phil's whole gay complex probably stems from discovering in prison that he could bust a nut from performing sex acts with another man.

It's hard to say for certain without Imperioli explaining this stuff but you're making some leaps and assumptions that don't necessarily make sense. The whole point of the Middle Passage thing was that it was supposed to be a stupid thing for the guy to say and the entire interaction was pretty typical of what you might see on some shitty TV debate show including Montel's reaction. As far as the Mussolini insult, one of the recurring themes of the show is that the characters are all Italians and they center their entire identity/belief systems around that fact but at the same time, none of them know a fucking thing about actual Italians. The entire episode where they go to Napoli is just one scene after another of them showing how ignorant they are of real Italian culture. Artie Bucco not knowing Mussolini hated the mafia is part of the point.
Too much assumed nuance and credit for bad writing. I like the show and that episode has other parts that are funny and entertaining, but those particular moments stink. The Howard Zinn (who is a complete agenda-driven hack) reference in the episode should be another clue that Hollywood dopes like Imperioli wanted to push this corny "Durr, Columbus bad" narrative. It is true that most jersey wops wouldn't have a firm grasp of their own history, but I'm not buying that some theater kid like Imperioli was even cognizant of the points being brought up to weave them into the storyline.

HomeRunCumia

Forum Clout
Too much assumed nuance and credit for bad writing. I like the show and that episode has other parts that are funny and entertaining, but those particular moments stink. The Howard Zinn (who is a complete agenda-driven hack) reference in the episode should be another clue that Hollywood dopes like Imperioli wanted to push this corny "Durr, Columbus bad" narrative. It is true that most jersey wops wouldn't have a firm grasp of their own history, but I'm not buying that some theater kid like Imperioli was even cognizant of the points being brought up to weave them into the storyline.
Now that i'm thinking about it, that entire Hollywood plot was garbage. Tony jacked Chris up about being a writer in like the 1st episode, and he told him in another that he had to either pick the Mob, or trying to go Hollywood, and that he never wanted to see him again if he chose the latter. I know Tony was supposed to have this new outlook on life after Junior shot him, but even a guy like him wouldn't dare take the chance of being exposed in any way by one of his guys. Besides all that, the Hollywood shit felt like an entirely different show, and adds nothing. That stuff I do skip.

HomeRunCumia

Forum Clout
Also, the worst scene in the show is the one where Carmella visits the idiot kike shrink because everyone interprets the whole scene completely wrong. The shrink's advice about leaving Tony is incredibly idiotic as is the babbling nonsense about Tony reading Crime and Punishment in his jail cell after turning himself in. People just like that character/scene because he rips Carmella. The character who gives Carmella actual good advice comes a few episodes later when she talks to the African priest. One of the recurring themes throughout the show is that all of the white collar characters are incredibly ignorant of what a pathological criminal like Tony is capable of. It takes Melfi years to finally figure it out and she only does so after someone points out a very specific study by criminal psychologists.
WHAT? That fucking scene is awesome! The guy wasn't being serious about the Crime and Punishment thing, he was just saying that Tony's crimes were so bad that he could MAYBE find redemption after years and years of self-reflection and guilt. He was telling her that the crimes of her husband would also infect Carmella and their children if she stayed. The only way she could wash herself of it was to leave that lifestyle entirely. She couldn't live on the blood money and stay married to Tony, while also trying to find a way to be an innocent bystander. She had to leave him, leave the house, and stop living on Mafia income if she wanted to be free. She ended up accepting it, and loving it, but like that shrink said, "One thing you can never say, is that you haven't been told."

Udders

Great food
Forum Clout
Now that i'm thinking about it, that entire Hollywood plot was garbage. Tony jacked Chris up about being a writer in like the 1st episode, and he told him in another that he had to either pick the Mob, or trying to go Hollywood, and that he never wanted to see him again if he chose the latter. I know Tony was supposed to have this new outlook on life after Junior shot him, but even a guy like him wouldn't dare take the chance of being exposed in any way by one of his guys. Besides all that, the Hollywood shit felt like an entirely different show, and adds nothing. That stuff I do skip.
Nobody could play a ruthless hard-hearted prick than the guy who played Ghandi.

I think the worst scene is Tony's fathers old goomah singing Happy Birthday Mr. President, but it's supposed to be cringe and uncomfortable.

G

I can see why some of you have problems with the scenes mentioned, but I don't think most of them are too egregious. It's what, 86 episodes? The overall level of quality throughout is untouched. The last season does get a little ridiculous at points, but I still enjoy most of it.

The only really indefensible scenes to me are CGI Livia and some of the nonsense in the Columbus day episode. The CGI Livia scene is so uncomfortable. Even Gandolfini looks dumb there. You know he's not playing off of anyone and the dialogue is so stilted. Awful. Just kill her off camera, no one's gonna be mad. She died, so (deep nasal inhale) whaddya gonna do, huh?

The first dinner party scene with Melfi and her friends had such terrible acting it takes you out of the scene. I know it's supposed to establish the characters but it's so hamhanded and clumsy.

There was one time someone (I think either Janice or AJ) was visiting Livia and Livia's hair part would be different (it'd move from left to right) at each cut. I love spotting flubs like that.

(((Meadow))) trying to dance sexy for her boyfriend but being all stiff and prudish was laughable.
That dancing is atrocious. She acts like she's doing it at gunpoint.

Monk

Forum Clout
I'm not buying that some theater kid like Imperioli was even cognizant of the points being brought up to weave them into the storyline.

He had a co-writer on that episode named Maria Laurino who has written extensively about Italian-Amercian culture and history. She wrote a companion book for a PBS series called The Italian Americans: A History. Imperioli might not know some of that shit but she absolutely would.

G

He had a co-writer on that episode named Maria Laurino who has written extensively about Italian-Amercian culture and history. She wrote a companion book for a PBS series called The Italian Americans: A History. Imperioli might not know some of that shit but she absolutely would.
Would she?

Anyway, I don't really care enough to debate it. I just think some of the scenes in that episode are poorly written and poorly acted, although I still enjoy the episode overall.

[MEDIA=youtube]h16DmdQvxB0[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:

Monk

Forum Clout
WHAT? That fucking scene is awesome! The guy wasn't being serious about the Crime and Punishment thing, he was just saying that Tony's crimes were so bad that he could MAYBE find redemption after years and years of self-reflection and guilt.

He wasn't joking. What he said is exactly the type of unrealistic pseudo-intellectual bullshit people like him would spout off. It's the writer's way of highlighting Krakower's utter ignorance of who Tony is and what he's capable of. Tony might as well be a fucking martian to him. People like him and Melfi and Cusamano and every other sheltered, white-collar character lives in a totally different world than Tony does.

He was telling her that the crimes of her husband would also infect Carmella and their children if she stayed. The only way she could wash herself of it was to leave that lifestyle entirely.
Would infect them? His crimes already had infected them. Meadow is an adult by that point and AJ is almost out of high school. If she had just up and left Tony without explanation like Krakower suggested, do you honestly think Tony would have just been fine with it and let her go? She would have had to leave her kids behind too and on top of that, Carmella had zero ability to support herself in the real world and no one to turn to.

On top of all that, Krakower's advice was just a cheap way out which would have let Carmella off the hook. Carmella didn't deserve to just up and escape the situation without consequence. Krakower was right in one instance when he called her an accomplice because that's what she was. She deserved to reap what she had sewn.