Film recommendations, underrated films

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Not a film but I just rewatched The People vs OJ Simpson. Great miniseries, amazing acting all around with the exception of Cuba Gooding Jr.

Imager

Making fun of women is my bit
adaptation. Same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich. It's a mindfuck of a movie once you realize what you're actually watching. Nicholas Cage plays a nervous, sweating writer who wants to adapt a simple book into a movie, without all the typical Hollywood nonsense.
I saw Adaptation at the theater and did not get it. Please inform me of what I watched. (I did understand the evolution slant of adaptation referenced in the movie a few times, but that was about it)

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

Reginald VelPenis
It may not be underrated per se, but no one seems to have seen Out Of The Furnace. Check out Good Burger if you haven't seen it. I watched something the other day that I was gonna recommend to McGowan but I can't remember what it was... wet brained fuck.

Edit: Filth. The movie I was gonna tell McGowan about was Filth. Someone already mentioned it.

Last edited:

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

Reginald VelPenis
I love You Phillip Morris. It's a movie based on a "true story" about a con-man's escapades, including his multiple successful escapes from prison. It stars a very out-of-character Jim Carry, and I believe his only other movie where he isn't completely "Jim Carry" He plays a gay man, and there are a few scenes of softcore buttfucking and some deep mouth kissing so be careful if you're so homophobic you don't wipe your own bootyhole. I say "true story" since the movie apparently completely mixes up the timeliness events on purpose.

adaptation. Same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich. It's a mindfuck of a movie once you realize what you're actually watching. Nicholas Cage plays a nervous, sweating writer who wants to adapt a simple book into a movie, without all the typical Hollywood nonsense.

I'm on the fence with Lucky Number S7even. I'll say it tries way too hard to be Tarantino but still worth a watch just to judge it.
I remember watching I Love You Phillip Morris and pretty early on you see Jim Carrey all sweaty just pounding a dude in the ass. I knew what the movie was about going into it but that was honestly a hilariously jarring sight and I stopped watching it not long after.

DiarrheaDick

Get up here and shut up!
I saw Adaptation at the theater and did not get it. Please inform me of what I watched. (I did understand the evolution slant of adaptation referenced in the movie a few times, but that was about it)

Charlie wanted to adapt a book about flowers exactly how it was written, without the Hollywood "touch" that would involve unnecessary drama and action that producers and directors usually want to put in to make the movie more interesting and driven to the audience they're attempting to target. Charlie keeps trying to write a script but keeps getting stuck and ultimately keeps tossing drafts. His twin brother out of nowhere decides he's going to write some kind of nonsense predictable thriller Charlie says is really dumb, but his brother apparently gets the script picked up anyway despite how lame Charlie thinks it is.
That being said, what seems to happen is Charlie gives in to Hollywood and writes the very movie we're watching, complete with action, car chases, and drugs, where the main character gets the girl in the end; all the things he said he loathed about all modern Hollywood movies. The whole movie adaption. is Charlie's adaptation of the book he was trying to script. One also has to wonder if his twin brother actually physically existed, or if it was just Charlie manifesting the person he wished he was (confident, successful). It's a common theme of most if not all of Charlie Kaufman's films.

Check out another of Kaufman's movies, Synecdoche, New York if you want to be really confused and walk away with a different conclusion each time you watch it. It's a long rough watch, but really interesting nonetheless. I also have no idea why the formatting wouldn't let me put most of this post without it looking like it's quoting you.

DiarrheaDick

Get up here and shut up!
I remember watching I Love You Phillip Morris and pretty early on you see Jim Carrey all sweaty just pounding a dude in the ass. I knew what the movie was about going into it but that was honestly a hilariously jarring sight and I stopped watching it not long after.
...so you don't wipe your own booty hole then?

Raymond

You will never see my penis
I really liked "Shattered Glass"

Might rewatch it with Seth in mind later.

G

Margin Call. I worked in corporate finance from 2003-2018 ish, through the whole '08 housing crash, and this movie is far and away the most realistic film set in that world that I've seen. The Big Short was well done and entertaining but kind of a "for dummies" approach. Margin Call is more muted and way more what that job is actually like. Nearly every character, I was like "oh, that's Mike" or "that's Neil." I don't know if the writer or director worked in finance but they nailed the mood of that shitshow in '08 and the various types who work in investment banking - the showboat traders, the earnest but self-interested analysts, the above it all managers - perfectly. Simon Baker especially. I knew 2 dozen of that exact guy. He nails that guy.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
Wanna see an author play the very character he created - and kind of pull it off?

Mickey Spillane played Mike Hammer in a British production called "The Girl Hunters". It's early 60's, so technically post-noir. It's also nowhere as good as "Kiss Me Deadly" (even "My Gun is Quick" is better), but it's WAY better than "I, The Jury" with Armand Assante... What a piece of shit that is.

Anyway, check it out, kind of a cool concept even if he was an amateur actor.

G

Yeah, I wipe my ass, dummy. I blast water up it with a bidet too. Something about seeing Ace Ventura having hard anal sex with a man was weird to me.
Yeah, that was a pretty funny scene in retrospect. Especially knowing that Carrey is a total piece of shit cunt hound who gave his ex herpes and she killed herself

[MEDIA=youtube]EVu40O_Lib4[/MEDIA]

Raymond

You will never see my penis
Yeah, that was a pretty funny scene in retrospect. Especially knowing that Carrey is a total piece of shit cunt hound who gave his ex herpes and she killed herself

The other gay saying "Do it, man. Come in my ass." is funny to me without any context.