• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW movies we should watch since new movies suck

Easily_Remembered

"And young. So young."
Forum Clout
Despite his huge success with the Toby Maguire Spider-Man 1 and 2, Raimi had a rough time after Spiderman 3 rightly flopped. If you turn into a fan of his, though, seeing him do the most recent Dr. Strange movie was awesome. Lots of his signature pacing and style, frenetic and original camera work, and even some self-referential callbacks to his Evil Dead work. Major spoiler, but zombified Dr. Strange in that movie essentially looks like a deadite. Critics and audiences were lukewarm on it, because I think it was more-Raimi than typical Marvel by-the-numbers stuff and it is kind of it's own thing. I thought that it was an enjoyable throwback to classic, eye-popping Raimi.

He's also just a great guy; he wears a suit every day on set, because he wants to show respect to the craft and his crew and act like a professional and he reveres the cinema history that came before him. Made his first movies with tons of hustle and scrappiness, and by all accounts is obsessed with filmmaking but isn't a jerk to work with.
He made Drag Me to Hell after Spider-Man 3 and I thoroughly enjoyed that one

G

Despite his huge success with the Toby Maguire Spider-Man 1 and 2, Raimi had a rough time after Spiderman 3 rightly flopped. If you turn into a fan of his, though, seeing him do the most recent Dr. Strange movie was awesome. Lots of his signature pacing and style, frenetic and original camera work, and even some self-referential callbacks to his Evil Dead work. Major spoiler, but zombified Dr. Strange in that movie essentially looks like a deadite. Critics and audiences were lukewarm on it, because I think it was more-Raimi than typical Marvel by-the-numbers stuff and it is kind of it's own thing. I thought that it was an enjoyable throwback to classic, eye-popping Raimi.

He's also just a great guy; he wears a suit every day on set, because he wants to show respect to the craft and his crew and act like a professional and he reveres the cinema history that came before him. Made his first movies with tons of hustle and scrappiness, and by all accounts is obsessed with filmmaking but isn't a jerk to work with.
For years, his Spider-Man movies were the only ones I'd seen. I wish I hadn't waited so long on Evil Dead. I watched the Swallowed Souls documentree about the second one and he seems like a good dude. Very dedicated and talented, but not an asshole. It's kinda nice to see someone in that industry who isn't a jaded prick and enjoys what they do.

WheelchairFred

Bug bawx?
Forum Clout
There was another thread where Danny Boyle's name popped up, and everyone knows Trainspotting, but I really liked his mid-2000's movie "Sunshine". Totally stupid premise, we need to use a nuclear bomb to reignite the failing Sun, but the pacing and the decent into madness for the characters is riveting. The visual touches make the experience: the blinding brightness and the claustrophobic compartments are evocative. The eventual antagonist is filmed in such a way that it feels like looking at the sun, you can never quite see him, he's never quite in focus, it's physically difficult, even a little painful to look at. The film has it's flaws and it should have been named something better than "Sunshine", but it's one that has always stuck with me.

IDidThisForYou

Posting in the bakowza
Forum Clout
State of Grace is always a go to for me. Any movie or show that is from early 90s NY shows what a dreary place it was. Even when the suns out it looks like Ireland during the Troubles. Penn, Oldman and Harris are great in it. And, not a bad score either.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
There was another thread where Danny Boyle's name popped up, and everyone knows Trainspotting, but I really liked his mid-2000's movie "Sunshine". Totally stupid premise, we need to use a nuclear bomb to reignite the failing Sun, but the pacing and the decent into madness for the characters is riveting. The visual touches make the experience: the blinding brightness and the claustrophobic compartments are evocative. The eventual antagonist is filmed in such a way that it feels like looking at the sun, you can never quite see him, he's never quite in focus, it's physically difficult, even a little painful to look at. The film has it's flaws and it should have been named something better than "Sunshine", but it's one that has always stuck with me.
Yeah, it's pretty good. It feels like it should've been a way shlockier movie but the direction makes it all feel so gripping.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
There’s something about John carpenters cheesy low budget way of making movies that I enjoy a lot.

In the mouth of madness fucking rules. So does:

The thing
The prince of nigger darkness
Escape from NY
They live
Ghost of Mars (guilty pleasure)
Christine
Big trouble in little china
Starman
The fog
Assault on precinct 13

That’s in no order. I’m aware that ghosts of Mars sucks nigger dick. But wwaw with old jonny carp?

Is there anything im missing? Are there any other directors who make similar kind of movies. Idk how to ask the question. But movies that have a sense of low budget-ness to them but are dope AF.

The only other director that comes to mind (they have nothing in common) is William Friedkin.
Cruising is an all time favorite of mine. I haven’t seen as many of his movies but the ones I’ve seen. I’ve loved.

The exorcist
Cruising
The French connection
To live and die in LA
Killer joe
Sorcerer

I’m not sure what it is but aside from us all being hilarious. We tend to have good taste. I’ve found many good films here. I also found out about the Arctic monkeys and the strokes from here. I’d like to hear about some good books from you guys too.

So post some of your favorite movies.. they can be newer movies idgaf thanks in advance Niggers!
I watched replacement killers again last night. That movie fucking rules and needs to be watched asap.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout

I kinda enjoyed MoM but it felt more like a movie with a Raimi paintjob rather than an actual Raimi film. Might be an extreme example but another one would be how modern Burton films feel compared to his earlier ones.