• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW Hollywood losing half a trillion in 2022

HH Brother

I wanna fuck you up the ass, funster.
Forum Clout
Guys like Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and even Johnny Depp used to sell but they're old and nobody is following in their footsteps. The guy who was in the last Batman movie and the twink in Dune are about all that exist and I can't even remember their names.

You're not paying a buck and quarter to see a flick for an evening of entertainment with your best gal like the old timey days. Going to the movies is like going to a theme park, so naturally it only attracts the kind of people who like that shit. Erock, comment? For everyone else it's a loud and annoying experience filled with other faggots who can't behave.

The industry can die and nothing bad will happen.
Leo has really one really big film under his belt and his career kinda floundered after with a few I guess "big hits" if you can call them that.

I never understood the appeal of Matt Damon. He did those Bourne films and I never seen a one, brother.

Johnny Depp can only do big budget bombs when he's not a pirate.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
Leo has really one really big film under his belt and his career kinda floundered after with a few I guess "big hits" if you can call them that.

I never understood the appeal of Matt Damon. He did those Bourne films and I never seen a one, brother.

Johnny Depp can only do big budget bombs when he's not a pirate.
There was a time when you would hear people say “oh I went and saw that new (insert actor name) movie” where the actor was so big people just saw whatever movie they put out. Now it has to have a built in audience to get someone to leave their house. I think a good portion of the current box office is older boomer types who have been going to the theaters for years and will just go see whatever is new that week but they won’t be living much longer. When I was younger / teenager going to the movies was something to do since you really couldn’t do much when you’re young. I don’t see that crowd still going to movies and the 18-40 are all streaming unless it’s an “event” picture. Right now it’s kids movies (they almost always make money since the parents have to go too) and the superhero ones will keep theaters floating but I don’t see how these huge 15-20 screen theaters survive the next 5 years. Theaters were worried about streaming but Covid really sped it up and make people comfortable with waiting for movies to end up on a streaming service.

HH Brother

Forum Clout
There was a time when you would hear people say “oh I went and saw that new (insert actor name) movie” where the actor was so big people just saw whatever movie they put out. Now it has to have a built in audience to get someone to leave their house. I think a good portion of the current box office is older boomer types who have been going to the theaters for years and will just go see whatever is new that week but they won’t be living much longer. When I was younger / teenager going to the movies was something to do since you really couldn’t do much when you’re young. I don’t see that crowd still going to movies and the 18-40 are all streaming unless it’s an “event” picture. Right now it’s kids movies (they almost always make money since the parents have to go too) and the superhero ones will keep theaters floating but I don’t see how these huge 15-20 screen theaters survive the next 5 years. Theaters were worried about streaming but Covid really sped it up and make people comfortable with waiting for movies to end up on a streaming service.
All theaters are shutting down and it's become a novelty, brother. They like scapegoating covid but they were already losing a lot of money anyway. Capeshit is finally dead, and there's nothing there to replace it.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Besides top gun 2, and 1917 , I can’t think of a good movie in like 10 fucking years.
I can name quite a few in the first five of those ten but after 2016-17 the drop-off is staggering. Take a gander at the past few years' Academy Awards and you're lucky to find a single title in the entire line-up you've even heard of in passing.

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
Forum Clout
maybe I should have worded that better; there are decent films here and there, but those two are the only ones that really stood out for me.

I like OUATIA but don’t know if I could sit through it again. Same with the Lady Gaga / dice clay movie as well.

HeyItsVos

Forum Clout
Capeshit is finally dead, and there's nothing there to replace it.
I think Hollywood will try with video game films if that Mario movie does well. Those Sonic movies did alright. Just keep them geared towards family-friendly so parents have to go and target stuff from the early 90s so the man-children that watch capeshit can shift to this. Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid. Neckbeards will eat that shit up.

HH Brother

Forum Clout
I think Hollywood will try with video game films if that Mario movie does well. Those Sonic movies did alright. Just keep them geared towards family-friendly so parents have to go and target stuff from the early 90s so the man-children that watch capeshit can shift to this. Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid. Neckbeards will eat that shit up.
Video game movies are never gonna be a thing, brother. For every good one, there's like twenty bad ones. I don't think that Mario one is gonna be anything. Sonic was a fluke that was purposely bad in trailers and then they molded it to appease fans of that shit.
I wanna see The Northman.
I heard that was pretty good, brother.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout

Isn't Netflix taking a shit too? I do believe the future is APPS

Cptbaldopie

Forum Clout
I think it's looked at the way it is from the simple fact it didn't try to be anything but an action movie, brother. I watched it again recently and it didn't have the same impact. But it's still pretty good for a long after the fact sequel when you look at other attempts.

Jennifer Connelly's chin tuck or whatever was distracting, brother.
I got to see it in an early release in san diego and the colective what the fuck? When they did the sailing scene and it was san Francisco was kind of funny

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
I wanna see The Northman.
I got a viking on my house!

bTrHLuXS_400x400.jpg

Forum Clout
Something that hasn't been mentioned that I think is important:

Technology has made making movies cheap. That seems to have bisected the movie industry's output into films that can be made for less than 500 thousand and films that can't be made for less than 200 million.

So there's no path to becoming a movie star. You are either in an arthouse dialogue film or capeshit, but there's no way to progessively climb into larger and larger productions. You just ace the capeshit audition and go from E list to A list.

[EDIT: I was just thinking about two films that came out the same year, same budget. No Country For Old Men cost the same as There will be Blood! 25 million. But you could easily make the first for a million. There Will Be Blood's opening scene with the gusher and the oil fire probably cost at least 10 million to do. Does Paul Thomas Anderson get that kind of money for his character driven horseshit today? Maybe, but not for too much longer, I bet.]

Last edited:
G

As a proud white man, I was told that I should like it, but I thought it stunk.
Watched up to the first Berserker fight. Was tired, went to bed and never felt the need to rewatch it. And I say that as the literal direct ancestor of Vikings who raped and pillaged the North East Coast of England.

Saddam Hussein

Forum Clout
I can name quite a few in the first five of those ten but after 2016-17 the drop-off is staggering. Take a gander at the past few years' Academy Awards and you're lucky to find a single title in the entire line-up you've even heard of in passing.
Good observation brotherman, you’re right. I think Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a lot of the responsibility. That movie did better than Avatar domestically and changed the business model to almost exclusively pre-existing IP