• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW Hollywood losing half a trillion in 2022

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
I don't understand this. Why does he get credit for the success of "Top Gun" and not the existing franchise value? If his other movies without IP power don't generate the same revenue, it suggests he doesn't have the same draw he used when he got huge returns on new characters/films.

Hell, people in this thread are saying Will Smith can't draw, but the live action "Aladdin" topped a billion worldwide. Are we going to give him credit or (rightfully) suggest it has more to do with Disney and the pre-existing fan base?
Will Smith had a good run of at least a decade where anything you put him in was a hit. Around the 2010’s this stopped and also his wife made him look like a weak bitch to the public. No wonder he lost his shit at the Oscars, dude is all kinds of emotional

HH Brother

I wanna fuck you up the ass, funster.
Forum Clout
I don't understand this. Why does he get credit for the success of "Top Gun" and not the existing franchise value? If his other movies without IP power don't generate the same revenue, it suggests he doesn't have the same draw he used when he got huge returns on new characters/films.

Hell, people in this thread are saying Will Smith can't draw, but the live action "Aladdin" topped a billion worldwide. Are we going to give him credit or (rightfully) suggest it has more to do with Disney and the pre-existing fan base?
I see what you're saying, but he alone is the component that people associate with the series, brother. Val Kilmer too, but he's not in a position to be anything but a cameo now.

The film wouldn't get anywhere near the money it did without him. Disneyshit always makes money, even if it bombs domestically brother.

Cruise keeps shitting out Mission Impossible since it's his license to print money, so of course he'll continue to do those. At least their harmless action films and people want that and they want familiarity. It's why newer films for the most part all take a shit. Black Adam for example is a bomb and the Rock has been looked at as a big draw for years.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
He was the worst choice for Reacher (he bought the rights so chose himself.) The character is a giant in the books. The guy in the Amazon series was a much better fit.

As others have said, Cruise is really the last movie star. No one else is on his level for global brand recognition. I don't think I've seen a MI after the first or second one, but he has kept that franchise going single-handedly. Maverick was also a welcome popcorn flick without any woke shit. Personally, I'd like to see him do more dramatic work. He should have won an Oscar for Born and was great in Magnolia, Jerry Maguire etc.

Whatever you want to say about the guy, you've got to love him for stuff like this

The guy is a lunatic, but talk about commitment to the job

Plus they shot Top Gun 2 in like 2018 and had it set for Memorial Day weekend 2020. Of course Covid knocked that off but they stuck to their guns and refused to just have it go to some streaming service and waited for Covid to be over They knew they had a hit for the theater and they were right, I think that was in theaters for like 6 months still making money.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
I see what you're saying, but he alone is the component that people associate with the series, brother. Val Kilmer too, but he's not in a position to be anything but a cameo now.

The film wouldn't get anywhere near the money it did without him. Disneyshit always makes money, even if it bombs domestically brother.

Cruise keeps shitting out Mission Impossible since it's his license to print money, so of course he'll continue to do those. At least their harmless action films and people want that and they want familiarity. It's why newer films for the most part all take a shit. Black Adam for example is a bomb and the Rock has been looked at as a big draw for years.
Great example is how Independence Day was a huge hit and the sequel - without Will Smith - was a huge flop. I think with The Rock he’s been over exposed, he’s got a NBC sitcom about his life which I see hasn’t been doing as well as they hoped in the ratings. He’s a likable guy which helps but too much and people get tired.

HH Brother

Forum Clout
Great example is how Independence Day was a huge hit and the sequel - without Will Smith - was a huge flop. I think with The Rock he’s been over exposed, he’s got a NBC sitcom about his life which I see hasn’t been doing as well as they hoped in the ratings. He’s a likable guy which helps but too much and people get tired.
I forgot that sequel even existed, brother.

Black Adam's budget isn't clear on wiki, but it's something near $260 million. It got back a little under $400 million. Between marketing and distribution, it's a bomb. They want these things making five times at least the budget. All this capeshit nowadays just does just enough to break even and then some.

JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS

DMANIAC
Forum Clout

The Rock needs to become more selective about his roles, which is hard to do when they offer you $15-20M per film. Once you’re overexposed, people just aren’t going to embrace you as much.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Everyone is famous now because of social media. A random whore or soccer mom can get a million hits on whatever social media site. Back in the 90s the only famous people were basically athletes and actors. Now anyone can hire a PR firm and blast advertisements everywhere on social media. Some random faggot eating liver and roiding himself out can become an international news story because social media has no filter. Everyone is now famous so being famous has no more meaning. And you can be famous for anything now because there is no filter keeping degenerate and pathetic content out from the masses (it is pushed instead).

People are willing to watch someone be famous on their phones or computers. Like some dumb tiktok whore shaking her ass in a bikini for a few million hits. But will anyone see her carry a movie about Shakespeare? No. But the (((morons))) who run Hollywood think that if someone is famous anywhere....that they can be famous in the movies. Famous singer? Let's have her star in some movies. Famous model? Make her a lead in a movie instead of an actual actress. Famous closeted gay wrestler? Let's have him be the lead in a comic book movie.

The other problem is that no one cares about actors more than they do about the characters. The stars of Star Wars are the lightsabers not the actual actors. The stars of capeshit are the costumes and names. They have had like 20 actors now play Spiderman and Batman because it doesn't really matter who plays them because the name 'Superman' is the real draw.

You can still make money with unknown IPs like how HBO or Netflix make original shows. Barry or Succession on HBO are good shows. But they will never be billion dollar blockbuster IPs like Hunger Games or Game of Thrones or whatever.

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
I wanted to see it. I just remember that it was gone before I realized it finally came out. I enjoy going to the movies and am desperate for decent content. I saw the fucking Dragonball Z movie in theaters this year.

Wokies got upset because it whitewashed characters that were supposed to be Japanese, and that was that. Nobody was allowed to enjoy it anymore.

HH Brother

Forum Clout
I think the medium in general has changed and the industry itself is well aware that their are better paths to revenue than the now antiquated "throw some big names on the marquee" -- we simply have too much constant access to celebrity to be drawn in by that element.

I'm not saying Tom Cruise isn't a movie star, in fact his ability to stay relevant without resorting to the desperate mediums of social media are a testament to his natural charisma, but I just find this "Tom Cruise is the LAST movie star" works too conveniently as an advertisement companion piece for it not to be heavily orchestrated. It plays not only on the nostalgia of the specific franchise but also "what it was like to go to the movies back then" and gives audiences a familiar straw to grasp at, but I don't think it's backed up by much when you really look at his career. Is he really that much more of a sure thing than Vin Diesel or Tom Hanks (that list of luke-warm results I gave for the last decade suggest not) or does it just suit the movie industry to have audiences conditioned to think that when they see the poster for his next movie?
I think it comes down to a combination of elements, brother. The actor, and the film. Given Cruise has had his fair share of shit in the past, but put him with the familiar series and he'll make money. Mission Impossible has been printing money since it started with him.

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
Forum Clout
I’m at work so I can’t write a novel at the moment but:

The Rock comes off as a shit person and it’s reflected a lot in his acting and roles. Don’t know, maybe I’m looking too much into that?

Will Smith did a lot of shit after ID4 and MIB. But dumb shit like live action Disney movies still make a lot of money in China. Or did pre covid.

Movies since the phantom Menace have mostly been remakes, reboots, parts 4 and 5 or whatever. Hollywood learned really quit that all you have to do is rehash old shit and brings In people and again, sales in China.

Also, Netflix made a huge dent in movies, and along with company’s focusing on streaming projects.

Woke shit sucks and even leftist are not going to movies any more to support thier commie shit.

Feehan's Fart Box

DEAD HEAT! You die, you come back to rife!
Forum Clout
I've checked out with a lot of mainstream blockbuster type movies. There are few things that come out now that make me want to go to a theater and I'm fine with just waiting a few months. I refuse to watch capeshit. I think the last thing I watched like that was Logan in 2017. It was one thing thing early on seeing classic, big name characters adapted to movie form (I'm talking like Raimi Spider-Man movies, Nolan Batman yada yada), but it's run its course and now they're scraping to bottom of the barrel material that no-one cared about and it all follows the same formula and is carefully micromanaged by studios. Who the fuck is Black Adam? They don't want to take any risks anymore and care about having a milquetoast product that checks all boxes (gotta throw in the funny quips!) and is easily palatable to wide international audience.

I do kind of want to check out Top Gun: Maverick though, although I'm not a huge fan of the cheese-dick original. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but maybe a throwback fun action movie, which is something I haven't seen in a while.

Udders

Great food
Forum Clout
I watched an interesting video along these lines recently. I'll link it below because the whole channel is really good.

And in regards to the Jack Reacher discussion, I love the movies and the series. The perfect Reacher is Tom Cruises attitude and swagger with the size and physical intimidation of Ritchson. Ritchson comes off as a little smarmy and weasely instead of the cool, confident, seen it all before demeanor of Cruise.

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
Guys like Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and even Johnny Depp used to sell but they're old and nobody is following in their footsteps. The guy who was in the last Batman movie and the twink in Dune are about all that exist and I can't even remember their names.

You're not paying a buck and quarter to see a flick for an evening of entertainment with your best gal like the old timey days. Going to the movies is like going to a theme park, so naturally it only attracts the kind of people who like that shit. Erock, comment? For everyone else it's a loud and annoying experience filled with other faggots who can't behave.

The industry can die and nothing bad will happen.