• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW getting rid of subscription services and buying physical dvd’s/CDs again?

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
I can’t be fucked with it anymore, there’s so much choice and it’s all shit anyway.

I bought a blu ray player and a vinyl player and I’m buying the physical copies of things I want again. It’s just better.

It’s not even the money part of it, it’s the principle of it and the fucking bullshit involved, you need about 15 different subscriptions, and you need a VPN to get round country restrictions.

I bought a box set of band of brothers and I can’t believe how much pleasure I had putting the discs in, pressing play and just enjoying it.

Or putting a physical album into a music player and listening to it as a whole thing I bought.

It’s the same with games, I miss just buying it at full retail price - owning it and it worked from day 1. No subscriptions, battle passes, loot boxes, cosmetics, DLC to buy, they never work at launch, you can’t select lobbies from a browser anymore. You get put into lobbies strictly designed to make you lose a lot so you keep playing.

ALLOW ME TO RETORT

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
Have you never heard of the pirate bay?

Of course but I can’t be bothered with that either, the torrents and private trackers and ratios and seed boxes and just all the fucking shit.

I only have a work laptop at home now, and I’m not using it to torrent.

I got rid of my set up because I realised games are designed to keep you on them longer now, not to be enjoyable. For example, I used to play destiny for hours on end and I never actually enjoyed it once. So I got rid of it all and just bought a PS5/Switch instead for gaming. They play games and that’s it.

EraGodless

Forum Clout
I can’t be fucked with it anymore, there’s so much choice and it’s all shit anyway.

I bought a blu ray player and a vinyl player and I’m buying the physical copies of things I want again. It’s just better.

It’s not even the money part of it, it’s the principle of it and the fucking bullshit involved, you need about 15 different subscriptions, and you need a VPN to get round country restrictions.

I bought a box set of band of brothers and I can’t believe how much pleasure I had putting the discs in, pressing play and just enjoying it.

Or putting a physical album into a music player and listening to it as a whole thing I bought.

It’s the same with games, I miss just buying it at full retail price - owning it and it worked from day 1. No subscriptions, battle passes, loot boxes, cosmetics, DLC to buy, they never work at launch, you can’t select lobbies from a browser anymore. You get put into lobbies strictly designed to make you lose a lot so you keep playing.

ALLOW ME TO RETORT
That's all I buy.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
How about reading a nice book

Yeah that too, I spend a fortune on books. When I finish work I’ll post my book shelf if anyone is interested, though there might be a thread for people to discuss books I could use.

I stopped getting audiobooks and using my kindle, they are convenient and bla bla bla but they defeat the enjoyment of books for me, I want to set aside time where my phone is another room charging and I’m just sat reading patiently. I stopped doing it and was listening to audiobooks at 1.5x while working and stuff, it’s a bad rotten habit.

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
Buying the physical stuff is way better for posterity as well. The streaming sites have taken to censoring some episodes of various shows. So in the event they go overboard with that, you’ll still have the real thing.
Not always the case, because of guaranteed short term licensing deals services have the potential to have the genuine article more often than physical copies when it comes to the original soundtracks of television shows. Anyone who has tried watching DVDs of their favorite animated MTV shows and thinks they seem different, its not that you got older, you did, but they also swapped all the music out for cheaper shit.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
People made fun of me because I still have a huge collection of blu rays but I rather have a physical copy of things I like and want to watch over streaming services. I lost count of how many times I’d be in the mood to watch something only to see it JUST left whatever streaming service I’m paying for. Plus for whenever an older film is deemed now inappropriate and is removed from streaming services.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
Buying the physical stuff is way better for posterity as well. The streaming sites have taken to censoring some episodes of various shows. So in the event they go overboard with that, you’ll still have the real thing.

That’s another thing yeah, I’ve streamed shows and they’ve cut episodes, edited out things and stuff. It’s fucking stupid.

I also considered getting a personal laptop again, and I think you literally need to rent Microsoft office now, you used to buy it and it was yours and now you need to subscribe for basic word processing tools? (Yes I know there are alternatives and I can steal it but I’m not a million miles away from 40 and I don’t give a fuck about buying these things anymore, I’m old and gay)

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
Not always the case, because of guaranteed short term licensing deals services have the potential to have the genuine article more often than physical copies when it comes to the original soundtracks of television shows. Anyone who has tried watching DVDs of their favorite animated MTV shows and thinks they seem different, its not that you got older, you did, but they also swapped all the music out for cheaper shit.

What would you recommend is the best way to get original source material?

Is pirating literally the only solution?

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
What would you recommend is the best way to get original source material?

Is pirating literally the only solution?
I actually don't know, but pirating usually gives you an option between a WebRIP and a BlueRay rip if the thing is popular enough. Certain things are just completely lost to time, like you're never going to see Daria with the original soundtrack to it ever again unless you taped it on VHS, then dubbed it over to another VHS, pausing at commercial breaks, cuz you're clever like that. But who the fuck wants to see Daria anyways.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
I'm all in with physical media and always have been. I do the streaming shit too though, of course. I've personally put time into ensuring movies I've worked on got stellar 4K releases. The peasants who can't appreciate it can tongue my balls if you'll pardon my French.

I grew up watching DBZ and loved it, when I was 20 or something I bought the box set of it, then I got rid of all my physical media stuff when I moved over the years because it was online anyway.

I can’t find the original show with the original voices and music anywhere anymore, I wish I kept them. It’s the same with a bunch of other stuff I had, a lot of old movies and BBC shows my grandpa left me. You simply can’t find it online anymore. Presumably you can if you find the right torrents and forums but in terms of going online and buying it from prime or whatever, it’s gone.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
I actually don't know, but pirating usually gives you an option between a WebRIP and a BlueRay rip if the thing is popular enough. Certain things are just completely lost to time, like you're never going to see Daria with the original soundtrack to it ever again unless you taped it on VHS, then dubbed it over to another VHS, pausing at commercial breaks, cuz you're clever like that. But who the fuck wants to see Daria anyways.

I listen to Peter Hitchens a lot, he gets a lot of shit for being his brothers stupid god fearing brother but he’s awesome.

He used his influence to get the BBC archives to let him watch this show, which is banned from being distributed anywhere.

This is just going to be normal in 100 years for literally everything because it’s all digital and centralised.

TorqueWheeler

An enormous amount of muscle.
Forum Clout
I grew up watching DBZ and loved it, when I was 20 or something I bought the box set of it, then I got rid of all my physical media stuff when I moved over the years because it was online anyway.

I can’t find the original show with the original voices and music anyway anymore, I wish I kept them. It’s the same with a bunch of other stuff I had, a lot of old movies and BBC shows my grandpa left me. You simply can’t find it online anymore. Presumably you can if you find the right torrents and forums but in terms of going online and buying it from prime or whatever, it’s gone.
I think British stuff is really difficult to find like that. One of my grandpa's was also British which is why I've always loved soccer but most of the TV stuff is long gone as far as I'm aware. My wife grew up loving DBZ and is really amused that American's are into it: Especially when it comes to the niggers. I just know that when I got the Married With Children DVD set and they didn't even have the theme song I realized that I had to preserve anything important. The cost of the rights to these songs would blow your mind honestly. The 80's was apparently a way more fun place.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
This is very true, streaming services have already removed “problem” episodes of the Simpsons and 30 Rock.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
I think British stuff is really difficult to find like that. One of my grandpa's was also British which is why I've always loved soccer but most of the TV stuff is long gone as far as I'm aware. My wife grew up loving DBZ and is really amused that American's are into it: Especially when it comes to the niggers. I just know that when I got the Married With Children DVD set and they didn't even have the theme song I realized that I had to preserve anything important. The cost of the rights to these songs would blow your mind honestly. The 80's was apparently a way more fun place.

What’s really fucked is those ridiculous rights payments don’t even go to the people who actually made the music, or they get scraps of it, the lions share go to (((some executive or producer))) who couldn’t play a single chord or write a single line of dialogue.