• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

New James Bond Movie

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Bond works best when it is played more serious than as a straight comedy
Hard disagree. The old Bond movies work best when they embrace the inherent silliness of the concept which, as others have pointed out, is a trust fund aristocrat's self-insert power fantasy. The goofy shit is what makes the franchise unique and entertaining.

The new ones are boring precisely because they're so fucking dour and take themselves too seriously, and try to make everything 'realistic'. The end result is that nu-Bond has been stripped of anything fun and just looks like any other action spy flick, which is one of the blandest genres around.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
Hard disagree. The old Bond movies work best when they embrace the inherent silliness of the concept which, as others have pointed out, is a trust fund aristocrat's self-insert power fantasy. The goofy shit is what makes the franchise unique and entertaining.

The new ones are boring precisely because they're so fucking dour and take themselves too seriously, and try to make everything 'realistic'. The end result is that nu-Bond has been stripped of anything fun and just looks like any other action spy flick, which is one of the blandest genres around.

I've read the books and enjoyed them immensely - I respect your view but don't agree myself.

I think depending on the actor, you're right. Moore's first two films struggled to find the right balance and weren't very good. Spy Who Loved Me embraced the silliness and was great for that very reason - it's the right tone for Roger. Sean, meanwhile, had his serious moments interrupted with dry quips. It worked, but I still prefer Dr. No for being a little more serious.

Craig, and also Dalton, needed to play it straight with a little humour to break up the seriousness - something Craig handled better than Dalton. Tim's first film had too many silly moments that he couldn't do very well, while his second film was way too serious. Craig's five films, minus that piece of shit SPECTRE, stayed very consistent in their feel. Skyfall had its dry wit and tension breaking when needed, and mostly it worked, but it took the seriousness being played off well enough for those moments of humour to work properly.

The beauty of a character like that is he can be played in multiple ways, similar to Batman with Adam West or Micheal Keaton. I just like mine a little darker.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout

The other problem is that Bond movies are too over the top to take seriously anyways. The weapons technology is more fantasy than science-fiction. The fights are absurd. And nothing is realistic in terms of the actual espionage but the tone for the modern Bond movies is still so serious. I always felt deflated after watching modern Bond films because none of the characters, including Bond, are likeable. And the villains come across as generic as well.

The problem is that the trust fund aristocrat who made Bond is long dead. And now a bunch of pretentious Hollywood fags run James Bond. Run the series into the ground.

A great spy movie is Breach. About the catching of Robert Hanssen. No guns in that movie, no explosions, just catching a guy with phone tapping, email intercepting, and following him around on foot. Even something like Shattered Glass is almost a spy movie in that they are investigating a type of infiltrator. In that case a reporter who is making up hoaxes and reporting on them. And they catch him by literally making him retrace his steps and contacting his sources and exposing him as a fraud.

Igrewuppoorina6brhou

Some great Iced-Tea
Forum Clout
You're not far off. Bond is already retired and the new 007 is a butt ugly black woman.

220px-Lashana_Lynch_interview_2019.jpg
Who is dis bitch