• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What’s the last good book you read?

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
I'm the opposite. I didn't really know anything about the Marx Brothers until I read the book, and now I want to see all their stuff.

I did the same thing after I read Charlie Chaplin's autobiography.
You'll be blown away at how a lot of the humor holds up and would even be considered edgy now. The misogynistic shit wouldn't even fly today. They'd be canceled. The movies are all great but you can probably skip Coconuts. It was their first movie so there's a lot of singing and dancing and shit. Duck Soup is widely considered the classic and would probably be a good place to start.

Easily_Remembered

"And young. So young."
Forum Clout
You'll be blown away at how a lot of the humor holds up and would even be considered edgy now. The misogynistic shit wouldn't even fly today. They'd be canceled. The movies are all great but you can probably skip Coconuts. It was their first movie so there's a lot of singing and dancing and shit. Duck Soup is widely considered the classic and would probably be a good place to start.
Yeah it was interesting to read about how much of their initial act revolved around singing and dancing. And I also enjoyed reading about their "off stage" personalities. Chico is about who you would think he is, but to read about how quiet and bookish Groucho really was interested me.

fricklefrackle

Forum Clout
71-4vj4w-EVL-SL1360.jpg

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
I didn’t get into the Marx Brothers until a couple years ago (I watched Laurel and Hardy growing up - they were my grandfathers favorites) and it’s interesting how you had Groucho who had a machine guy quick wit that was incredible and his brother Harpo who was probably one of the best physical comics off all time who didn’t need to speak. There’s a great “I Love Lucy” episode with Harpo that’s really funny.

ミスタースパーコル

I'm a nasty cockslut.
Forum Clout
I did the same thing after I read Charlie Chaplin's autobiography.
You've reminded me of the actual greatest book aout old Hollywood.
lunches%20with%20orson.final.jpg

I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man... He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.... Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.