• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

True Detective season four

G

I still watch season 1 once a year or so. I find the claims that it's "all plagiarized" a little dubious after looking into it. Pizzolatto definitely stole some dialogue, but it gets murky after that. And regardless of how much is stolen, it still works amazingly well. Fwiw, he also openly admits to being influenced by Thomas Ligotti.

Season 2 is far better than it was originally treated and I'm glad to see so many of you appreciate it. Rachel McAdams plumps me up.

Also like so many of you, I barely remember a second of season 3 and have no urge to revisit it. I'll watch the new season. I like that box muncher Jodie Foster. It'll be interesting to see what they do now that Pizzolatto is gone.

Udders

Great food
Forum Clout
Maybe it was mediocre but it was definitely memorable. There's no scene from Season 3 I remember.
The scene I specifically remember is the main character being haunted by people he's killed and it was a hoard of gooks from Vietnam and one white guy in a suit whose face we couldn't see. I thought it was done really well and set up a lot of anticipation to see it play out later.

I also liked the partners' relationship with each other. Season 3 was really good. Two can suck an egg. Maybe better on a rewatch but I don't think I have it in me.

TehSamurai

Forum Clout
Season 2 was a mess. Pizza saw people bitching about the ending of season 1 being "too happy" and did a retarded course correct.

Season 3's plot is just Gone Girl. There was no narrative reason to have so many different timelines.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Wasn't Westworld already dogshit during the first season?
First season of Westworld is as good as the first seasons of Sopranos or Boardwalk (as long as you are into science fiction). It could have ended right there and been the greatest miniseries of all time. Instead it was killed, set on fire, pissed on, buried, then dug up again for another few seasons to the point where it is a joke. And now is considered one of the dumbest shows of all time.
I still watch season 1 once a year or so. I find the claims that it's "all plagiarized" a little dubious after looking into it. Pizzolatto definitely stole some dialogue, but it gets murky after that. And regardless of how much is stolen, it still works amazingly well. Fwiw, he also openly admits to being influenced by Thomas Ligotti.
Nearly every existential line uttered by Rust is plagiarized. And Pizzolatto initially denied he had ever read or heard of Thomas Ligotti. It was not until the show premiered and journalists kept asking him about Ligotti did he even acknowledge him. And the lines from Ligotti that Rust uses were literally the only reason HBO made the show. Without them the show never airs. Rust also uses a ton of lines from Alan Moore comics that barely fit into the show and sound like he is playing another character.
Season 2 was a mess. Pizza saw people bitching about the ending of season 1 being "too happy" and did a retarded course correct.
Season two is based off of old Noir stories where the detective always dies. A lot of old "Pulp" stories or like Lovecraftian detective works had the main character die. They basically solve the case but die in the process before they can reveal the truth to the world. Ever seen the movie Angel Heart? That is a classic example of the detective solving the case and it ending horrendously bad for him. Same concept.
Season 3's plot is just Gone Girl. There was no narrative reason to have so many different timelines.
It was originally written as a West Memphis Three story but it was changed. You can see the references to the WM3 in the first episode then they just move into a plot that is different for whatever reason.

JamieConway

Still Serchin' 4 Da Truf
Forum Clout
I watch season 2 EVERY year because it's criminally underrated. Farrell and Vaughn are amazing. Mcadams and that John Carter kid more than hold their own as well. People wanted another fucking sex murder story instead of this one about city and corporate corruption. I might actually enjoy it more than season 1.
But Season 3 was nothing. And season 4 is looking to follow in it's wake.

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

4943738515_display.jpg

Prince Bvstin

Forum Clout
At least Jodi Foster can act. Season 2 bombed because Vince Vaughn is a ham. Season 1 I'd have no problem admitting it's one of the best tv shows I've ever seen, 3 is pretty nice. First I've heard about season 4, hopefully a good plot and a meaningful character study and not just a couple Mary Sues busting the crooked spiral first try with no help.

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
Forum Clout
At least Jodi Foster can act. Season 2 bombed because Vince Vaughn is a ham. Season 1 I'd have no problem admitting it's one of the best tv shows I've ever seen, 3 is pretty nice. First I've heard about season 4, hopefully a good plot and a meaningful character study and not just a couple Mary Sues busting the crooked spiral first try with no help.
It's Fargo but in snow! You heard it here first

G

"Kali Reis" is apparently a boxer, as well as an actress. She's a Red Indian and supports some charity for murdered and missing native American women and girls. Pretty good bet what the plot will be.

BigBeanFatty

The Official Hungry Bean.
Forum Clout
I always liked season 2, but as time goes on I like it more and more. I lived in the area the fictional city was based on (Ventura County), so there was a bit of that influencing it as well. The problems I had with S2 and 3 (and 1 to an extent) was that they set up a grand conspiracy and it just turn out to be pretty much nothing of any real consequence.

I vaguely remember reading something about S2 being about a large conspiracy involving the Department of Transportation in a kind of "deep state" story that got changed abruptly. Sounded cool, but I can't remember where I read it.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Only thing I really remember about season 3 is that some retard at HBO spoiled it which made the entire thing feel like a dud to me.

If I remember correctly, on HBO's official Facebook account they put up behind the scenes pictures after episode 2. And one of the pictures showed the missing girl in a location that completely spoiled who had done it. I think her clothes also spoiled what had happened.

People freaked out and they took it down but it really fucked with my enjoyment of the show.