• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

The Departed (2006)

TomFromNawlins

Forum Clout
It’s an odd movie and was different than I expected when I first saw it. It’s disjointed and cartoonish and seems like it was made by someone with ADHD. Plus it was one of the seemingly endless Boston movies that came out during that time, so that’s a strike against it.

Still I like it and watch it when it comes on.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
It’s an odd movie and was different than I expected when I first saw it. It’s disjointed and cartoonish and seems like it was made by someone with ADHD. Plus it was one of the seemingly endless Boston movies that came out during that time, so that’s a strike against it.

Still I like it and watch it when it comes on.
Grew up in the Boston area and couldn't believe how many movies were shot in the area from from the early 2000s. I watched them shoot Mystic River and The Departed right behind the lines.

G

Grew up in the Boston area and couldn't believe how many movies were shot in the area from from the early 2000s. I watched them shoot Mystic River and The Departed right behind the lines.
What’d you think of the Irish-PR dude? I appreciated the comic relief.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
What’d you think of the Irish-PR dude? I appreciated the comic relief.
They filmed that scene across from the PPC in Chelsea MA on Lower Broadway and that character says "I shouldn't even be in this side of Worcester." I got angry because I knew it was shot nowhere near Worcester, but 2 minutes from Boston.

I liked him in Grounded for Life.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Boston accents in movies make me cringe. They're always so bad and the vast majority of people here don't talk like that.
It is embarrassing. Real people in Boston usually have marbles in their mouths and mumble all the time. People in the movies talk clear and concise, but just make sure not to pronounce the R at the end of a few words and they have their Boston accent.

Remember in Gone Baby Gone they had some random local rapper play someone in a scene? He was white, I believe heavy set, and had one or two speaking roles? He sounded like a Boston guy and that's why they didn't use him much.

G

They filmed that scene across from the PPC in Chelsea MA on Lower Broadway and that character says "I shouldn't even be in this side of Worcester." I got angry because I knew it was shot nowhere near Worcester, but 2 minutes from Boston.

I liked him in Grounded for Life.
Are there a lotta Ricans in that part of town? In case I need to score an 8 ball (whatever that is). Not trying to be racist.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Are there a lotta Ricans in that part of town? In case I need to score an 8 ball (whatever that is). Not trying to be racist.
Are you talking about Chelsea? Not so much these days. It's all Central Americans for the most part now. In the 90s it was FULL of Puerto Ricans and the city was going through receivership at one point. Hilarious time to live there. At one point they needed the national guard parked in certain neighborhoods because the police force collapsed and needed help that bad.

G

@CQ_1 have you watched Mystic River?
I watched the beginning with the kid being kidnapped and kinda noped out at that. Not like it brought back any freaky personal memories or anything. I’m just kinda squeamish like that.

Also, I really don’t like Sean Penn. I mean normally I don’t let how I feel about an actor’s behavior influence how I watch their movies but I really want to shove him into a meat grinder alive like that scene in Rumble in the Bronx.

Would you recommend?

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
I watched the beginning with the kid being kidnapped and kinda noped out at that. Not like it brought back any freaky personal memories or anything. I’m just kinda squeamish like that.

Also, I really don’t like Sean Penn. I mean normally I don’t let how I feel about an actor’s behavior influence how I watch their movies but I really want to shove him into a meat grinder alive like that scene in Rumble in the Bronx.

Would you recommend?
Lol I was there when they shot that scene. Condor st in East Boston and it was after school.

It's worth checking out. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years but it's not the worst movie.

I'd like your breakdown if you end up watching it.

Then you can watch other Boston movies like the cringe fest The Town and Gone Baby Gone.

G

Are you talking about Chelsea? Not so much these days. It's all Central Americans for the most part now. In the 90s it was FULL of Puerto Ricans and the city was going through receivership at one point. Hilarious time to live there. At one point they needed the national guard parked in certain neighborhoods because the police force collapsed and needed help that bad.
Did you guys play ‘football’? I used to work with this older Puerto Rican dude who would talk about Latino drug dealers in NYC chucking bags to each other when ever cop cars showed up. I didn’t grow up anywhere close to that but I found that kinda funny.

The National Guard. Of all the outrageous things...

G

Lol I was there when they shot that scene. Condor st in East Boston and it was after school.

It's worth checking out. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years but it's not the worst movie.

I'd like your breakdown if you end up watching it.

Then you can watch other Boston movies like the cringe fest The Town and Gone Baby Gone.
That’s interesting. The Town I actually have watched and found it overwrought as fuck. It may have been on account of the glut of Boston mob flicks at the time but I just never really liked Ben Affleck.

I’m not saying he’s a bad actor but I just don’t enjoy his acting. It’s kinda like someone else in this thread talking about DiCaprio and not seeing them in a gangster flick. At least Leo doesn’t cry constantly in all of his films. I’m just too light on closets as a man to watch that.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Did you guys play ‘football’? I used to work with this older Puerto Rican dude who would talk about Latino drug dealers in NYC chucking bags to each other when ever cop cars showed up. I didn’t grow up anywhere close to that but I found that kinda funny.

The National Guard. Of all the outrageous things...
Just Baseball. Soccer was for the Hondurans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and then the Bosnians who came in the mid late 90s from the war.

Yeah was a bad few months. There was even a garbage strike that happened during all of it.

Old episode of 60 minutes talking about some of the issues back then.