RIP Fez

WhereWeAt

Mal shared a theory once, after the Bruce Vilanch Unmasked post-show, about her thoughts on Fez. It was very in-depth, and I can't remember all of it - I doubt I'd do it justice anyway.

But the gist of her point was this: here was a man who lived a character for decades on the air and to fans, and was a different man in his own personal life. The former, Fez, was a boisterous queen, campy, charming, controlled a room and an equal to Ron. The latter, Todd, was quiet, riddled with anxieties (keep in mind, this was a man who after the 9/11 tower strike turned to Ron and said "why do these things always happen to ME?"), and reclusive. Then one day, Todd realizes he was much more like Fez than he cared to admit, especially in being gay. That caused a crisis of conscience, as all of the flaws and anxieties of the private Todd came to the surface through the public persona of Fez. The happy-go lucky, Fezzitorial-spewing second mic became Mr. Quiet In The Corner because, at this late point in his life, he struggled to come to terms with who he really was.

He was too set in his ways and too comfortable being two separate people that he probably couldn't figure out how to make it as one whole person. Now that he couldn't be an act anymore, all there was to be was himself, and he didn't know who that was anymore.

Christ, remembering all of that made me sad again.
What I wouldn't give for Fez to have locked Todd in a cage so the Fez could've taken total control.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
This is one of the few Ron and Fez clips that I fucking adore but Mal cannot listen to after the one time. Cringe humor is rough for her. I'm 50/50 on it, but I love that bit.

And you're right... He'd have loved to see this new Batman. He could've if the pandemic didn't Fuck movie scheduling up.

I'm still hoping for this bitch to get absolutely blitzkrieged. Seriously, who in the hell would be criticizing you guys for going after her? You're defending a deceased gay man. It could be the greatest double turn in history since Austin/Hart (I hate that I know that, but my point stands).
We’re called all kinds of awful things by Pat and his creepy SFWA friends like Nazis, Bigots, Racists, Criminals, Felons, Terrorists, Rapists and Rape Apologists (Seriously, Pat called us that) but here we are in agreement this bitter cunt needs to shut her stupid mouth over a deceased beloved gay entertainer. We’re called the scum of the earth by a group of creeps that has convicted pedo’s as members but want everyone to think we’re the bad guys.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
he was fez in public too

he met ron as fez, he was fez in private life a lot

i think todd was the character he got lost in

when fez was at rons house he was fez

i think he got tired of always being “on”

so he created a character to retreat into

i really dont think fez was as emotionally messed up as much as he was tired and just wanted to do the behind the scenes stuff more

ron literally knew he needed fez and kept him on at all costs, and fez just let ron do whatever he wanted to him to keep him happy

i dont think fez needed money after the dc gig, and that probably effected his mindset and drive like it did to opie ant and jim once they got f u money

look at how hicks gets shit on and earl gets shit on

ron can only operate with a funny person who is also subservient

this shit goes much deeper and ron is the actual insane person fez had to deal with

Hmmm, you make an interesting point I never really thought about.

And I probably didn't think about it because I'd have to look at Ronnie in a less positive light. Yet, what you say has validity.

Showing Mal what you wrote, even she questioned her long-held opinion. Her response was "If it was the opposite all along, that makes this even sadder, because it wasn't himself he was trying to make happy - it was Ron."

UnPRePared

Listened to the whole thing - besides Gale stepping on people and making it about her, I thought it was a great show.

Hick's stories I had never heard before. Of course Earl never paid him. And Ant drunkenly called in, enjoyed the dig Ron got in on him.

Still feel we should go after that bitch on Twitter.

G

Ron doing a trust and will live-read during the Whatley memorial show made me laugh. I liked hearing everyone talk about him, especially his sister. Ron telling how Fez's sister introduced herself as Lez Whatley was great.

They mentioned how lucky they are to still be able to hear his voice and that after six years off the air he's still so well loved and remembered by the fans. I've been going through listening to a random month of R&F shows for a while now and it's still better than anything else.

UnPRePared

So I just saw this, and I went back and forth, but I felt you guys would appreciate it like I did...

Fez's nephew. Shared very kind words and pictures, really sweet. Seeing this makes me feel happy that The Big Cat really did find a second life in retirement. As much as I hate Gail, I did enjoy hearing the memories about her and her brother growing up and how much fun Fez was as an unofficial Uncle.

But then I remember what his sister shared from his journal about hoping to and never finding true love, and that I think most of all is what killed me from that show. A human being I never knew, only from radio and long after he retired, and yet I felt that deep down. Just wild. That's the impact that guy had on people like us, just through radio.

Anyway, if you're a fan, check them out. Always heartwarming seeing Whatley genuinely smiling.

ElectricLightKazooII

I love that garlic buttah saw...
Ron doing a trust and will live-read during the Whatley memorial show made me laugh. I liked hearing everyone talk about him, especially his sister. Ron telling how Fez's sister introduced herself as Lez Whatley was great.

They mentioned how lucky they are to still be able to hear his voice and that after six years off the air he's still so well loved and remembered by the fans. I've been going through listening to a random month of R&F shows for a while now and it's still better than anything else.
A Mrs. Field's read would have been incredible.

G

I've been listening to R&F 01/2008. When Heath Ledger dropped dead it affected Fez and is a good listen (ESD warning for those who can't stand him) for anyone still pondering life's mysteries after the passing of Whatley. Fez makes it about himself, naturally.

I still don't know why Ron thought Heath's wife Michelle Williams was so good looking. She has a kinda blocky head like Ron's daughter. Maybe it's something genetic.

Mc.Faggot

crumbum
I've been listening to R&F 01/2008. When Heath Ledger dropped dead it affected Fez and is a good listen (ESD warning for those who can't stand him) for anyone still pondering life's mysteries after the passing of Whatley. Fez makes it about himself, naturally.

I still don't know why Ron thought Heath's wife Michelle Williams was so good looking. She has a kinda blocky head like Ron's daughter. Maybe it's something genetic.
Ron has a thing for manic pixie dream girls

Cptbaldopie

And I probably didn't think about it because I'd have to look at Ronnie in a less positive light. Yet, what you say has validity.

Showing Mal what you wrote, even she questioned her long-held opinion. Her response was "If it was the opposite all along, that makes this even sadder, because it wasn't himself he was trying to make happy - it was Ron."

Was listening to this as I saw this post and about 45 min to an hour in they dive into who's Todd and who's fez. After a while they Olay clips of drunk fez and you hear Todd screaming at people. I love fez to death but he was a sadly closed person. Took him till his 40s to embrace his sexual identity. I'm just sad he was never able to find happiness. I think Todd hated fez bit fez is who he was at heart.

Fez's twitter profile photo is of him on a ventilator. I suspect from his March heart attack.

The thought of some clickbait chaser doing a news article on him finding his twitter and seeing that photo really makes me laugh

G

So I just saw this, and I went back and forth, but I felt you guys would appreciate it like I did...

[URL unfurl="true"]https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewAlderman/status/1426592034098491392[/URL]

Fez's nephew. Shared very kind words and pictures, really sweet. Seeing this makes me feel happy that The Big Cat really did find a second life in retirement. As much as I hate Gail, I did enjoy hearing the memories about her and her brother growing up and how much fun Fez was as an unofficial Uncle.

But then I remember what his sister shared from his journal about hoping to and never finding true love, and that I think most of all is what killed me from that show. A human being I never knew, only from radio and long after he retired, and yet I felt that deep down. Just wild. That's the impact that guy had on people like us, just through radio.

Anyway, if you're a fan, check them out. Always heartwarming seeing Whatley genuinely smiling.
wow those are some weird looking kids. nice genes, stupid