• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

NCAAF 2024 Thread

Confused White Kid

Influencer
Forum Clout
Yeah I’m not saying it’s not a big game, I just will miss the days where these were defacto playoff games rather than just a warmup for the playoffs. I think the 4 team playoff was perfect for college.

Oh dude you're talkin my language. I miss the old pre-BCS "Bowl Computer" days where the AP essentially picked who would play in the title game. I still remember when I was kid some years you would have two or even three "title games" over the New Years bowls and then have to sort through who won to come up with a champion. I love the quirkiness and inexact science of CFB.

But it is quite literally the second biggest sport in America (if not the first) after the NFL. There's too much money to not have a playoff. I'm trying to change with the times myself. But I get it, I miss the traditions - those are what make it so fun.

Forum Clout
You also now have a landscape where the handful of powerhouse programs can't stash talent like they used to. An Alabama used to be able to play a guy til he graduated, then plug in the next guy who'd been warming the bench for two or three years. But now they can transfer far easier, and go somewhere and play right away. So the playing field does level out somewhat. And the playoff will allow for the occasional fluke outcome, where some ridiculous school goes on a run, like in basketball sometimes. Imagine some retarded team like Navy squeaking into the playoff, then edging someone like Georgia in a driving rainstorm or something.
The new transfer rules have given us the same landscape as the last 50 years of college football. NIL is what will truly ruin the sport.

And while I'm excited to watch Georgia/Bama and a bunch of other matchups in the SEC this year I know the outcome will mainly only change seeding for the playoffs. That's a lot less interesting than 'one of these teams will not be in the 4 team playoff'.

Forum Clout
The new transfer rules have given us the same landscape as the last 50 years of college football. NIL is what will truly ruin the sport.

And while I'm excited to watch Georgia/Bama and a bunch of other matchups in the SEC this year I know the outcome will mainly only change seeding for the playoffs. That's a lot less interesting than 'one of these teams will not be in the 4 team playoff'.
I agree, I think 12 is way too many teams. 4 was ok. I kind of preferred it when there was no playoff, and you pretty much had to go unbeaten. Everything was always on the line.

Confused White Kid

Influencer
Forum Clout
You also now have a landscape where the handful of powerhouse programs can't stash talent like they used to. An Alabama used to be able to play a guy til he graduated, then plug in the next guy who'd been warming the bench for two or three years. But now they can transfer far easier, and go somewhere and play right away. So the playing field does level out somewhat.
This is true for the most part, and why Saban-haters say he was against the NIL deal.

However, the truth is a little more nuanced.

The fact is, the schools with the most money aren't necessarily the ones you'd think of first. For example, teams like Bama, Georgia and Ohio State don't have the most money. It's Texas and Texas A&M.
UT is as much a political body as it is a school or football program - they have more money than literally any university system on earth, including Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Kings College, etc. The Bush family are Texas donors. They could buy the rest of the Big12 and sell it like real estate, which they essentially did over the last 20 years.

I think transferring is good - if coaches can leave whenever they want, players should be able to, too. It complicates things, but fair is fair.

Now money will always be a big factor, as players will go to the school who offers them a bag; however, I think we're already starting to see examples of kids staying at their respective teams instead of transferring or going pro because they've already been paid. Some of these dirt poor black kids from the South are getting $1.5M AND a car to sign, so there isn't as much pressure to go pro and buy their mothers a house. They can now afford to hang around another year and wait their turn. This is something Saban never predicted. Saban might have actually done better under NIL than he did before, if he'd only had the patience to put up with zoomer faggot recruits.

And the playoff will allow for the occasional fluke outcome, where some ridiculous school goes on a run, like in basketball sometimes. Imagine some retarded team like Navy squeaking into the playoff, then edging someone like Georgia in a driving rainstorm or something.

Agreed. We'll finally get a Boise or a Cincinnati or UCF beating an Oklahoma or a Michigan in the Elite 8 and it will be legendary. Betting is going to go through the roof.

The bowl season was already dead. Anyone with a 6-6 record made a bowl game, and pro-prospects were sitting them out. Now we have something to really look forward to.

I will always miss the BCS era and the times before that, but things aren't all bad. It's a weird time to follow this sport, but there are things worth enjoying about it as it is now.

Last edited:
Forum Clout
You also now have a landscape where the handful of powerhouse programs can't stash talent like they used to. An Alabama used to be able to play a guy til he graduated, then plug in the next guy who'd been warming the bench for two or three years. But now they can transfer far easier, and go somewhere and play right away.
I’m surprised how true this has been proven to be.

I thought NIL would make the inequality much worse, but so fsr this season has more upsets and lots of top programs have struggled against smaller teams

Forum Clout
I dunno what shocked me more, Alabama players having a podcast while on the active roster, or that two black football players born in Alabama could sound and act so much like white girls on TikTok.
Fucking zoomers, dude. A lot of NFL players now care more about their celebration dances than their W/L record.

Look at this dude’s thighs and body. He probably squats 400+ while being a cringy buttslave. Wtf

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Forum Clout
Just noticed the Ducks dont play until 11pm tonight. Those late night west coast games can be exciting.

Forum Clout
Like you said, the defense is real good (held Tennessee to 25) but the offense...

Maybe the change in QB will help out by adding another threat.
I went to OU and I want it to work out for Venny so fuckin badly. So much history there. But he needs to fire most of the offensive staff. And he probably won’t bc they are OU guys and he coached half of them as our DC.

That said I hope Heupel wins it all

goo gobbler

UAlbany women's basketball fan
Forum Clout
i'm so out of the loop. i knew usc and ucla were leaving pac 12, not literally everyone. fucking lol.

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Forum Clout
i'm so out of the loop. i knew usc and ucla were leaving pac 12, not literally everyone. fucking lol.
Its the Pac2 this year. Lots of talk of trying to merge mountain with Pac. Seems like the Pac will most likely have a new group of schools in another year or two if they can work out the money.

Confused White Kid

Influencer
Forum Clout
Where we at wit da Georgia and Bama tonight?

Bama is my favorite sports team. I've followed them since they won in 1992 when I was a little kid. This particular team under Milroe is infuriating to watch in real time but when you look back the games have all been exciting. It's just incredibly hard to watch a full season of their all-or-nothing offense. They can win a game 35-21 while only getting two first downs, turning the ball over 4 times, and racking up 150 yards in pre-snap penalties.

If they play a clean game they can win. But if they extend Georgia drives with PI and unnecessary roughness calls on third down over and over it's going to be a long night.

Forum Clout
Its the Pac2 this year. Lots of talk of trying to merge mountain with Pac. Seems like the Pac will most likely have a new group of schools in another year or two if they can work out the money.
It’s all so stupid. Fucking Stanford in the ACC and Washington losing (lmfao) a Big Ten game against Rutgers.

The alignment was so good in 2007