• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Listening to Bill Burr defending this awful George Carlin special from 2005 is annoying.

FingerofGod

Forum Clout

Nana was 100% right here. Weird to listen to an o&a clip where opie and anthony seem to actually have a rapport. Burr has been a hollywood phony since day 1. The clips they listened to were indefensibly bad. I don’t care that Carlin is the “best”. He’s not even telling jokes. “The government doesn’t want us to be smart, maaaaaaaaan!” Dead faggot

not that Jack Horner

If you saw me IRL you very likely wouldn't look me
Forum Clout
Carlin being the default 1a/1b best comedian of all time is puzzling for a civilian like myself.
you have to listen to his first stuff, it all makes sense then

it also still holds up

i didnt “grow” with carlin, so i never got it, but looking back as an adult a few years back i really saw how funny he was. like listening to old fez episodes

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Forum Clout
you have to listen to his first stuff, it all makes sense then

it also still holds up

i didnt “grow” with carlin, so i never got it, but looking back as an adult a few years back i really saw how funny he was. like listening to old fez episodes
I’ve listened to a lot of Carlin. Just like a lot of funny guys on the radio, standup is fucking terrible in general. Carlin would have probably been great on radio or podcasting. But listening to some idiot pontificate on stage is arguably the worst form of entertainment.

TomFromNawlins

Forum Clout
I’ve listened to a lot of Carlin. Just like a lot of funny guys on the radio, standup is fucking terrible in general. Carlin would have probably been great on radio or podcasting. But listening to some idiot pontificate on stage is arguably the worst form of entertainment.
Especially when the idiot has a gray ponytail and thinks he’s smarter than the audience. Fuck your social commentary. Make me laugh, clown.

Voscabulary

the lord chief constable knows I'm owen
Forum Clout
Carlin being the default 1a/1b best comedian of all time is puzzling for a civilian like myself.
I similarly have never enjoyed carlin. his standup, to me, always felt like his political pontifications came first and the comedy was secondary, which simply doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I can assuredly say carlin has only made me laugh one time, and it was on an episode of tough crowd.

that being said, he influenced quite literally every single comedian I admire dearly, so I still have an undeniable amount of respect for him and his talent. I've just personally never seen the appeal

TomFromNawlins

Forum Clout
I similarly have never enjoyed carlin. his standup, to me, always felt like his political pontifications came first and the comedy was secondary, which simply doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I can assuredly say carlin has only made me laugh one time, and it was on an episode of tough crowd.

that being said, he influenced quite literally every single comedian I admire dearly, so I still have an undeniable amount of respect for him and his talent. I've just personally never seen the appeal
I wonder how much influence he really had. A lot of comedians say they love Carlin probably because they think they have to. Even our Piggy tritely claimed Carlin as an influence when he pretended he was a stand-up.
And if he did have influence, it was to produce a couple generations of truth-to-power comics that aren’t funny either.

ShockJockRobot

Forum Clout
Saw Burr's set in Vegas this weekend and it was surprisingly good- far better than his first post-Covid tour last year.

And its pretty damn impressive that he sold out Dolby Live for 2 nights. That is a huge venue for a comic even to do one show. (Gabriel 'Fuffly' Iglesias who sold out Dodger Stadium only plays the Chelsea in Vegas. Chris Rock played the Colosseum)

His act was less 'Woke' than I was expecting- though he's clearly far left of center. He called the Proud Boys the Klan for Millennials, which I thought was a good line :)

FingerofGod

Forum Clout
Saw Burr's set in Vegas this weekend and it was surprisingly good- far better than his first post-Covid tour last year.

And its pretty damn impressive that he sold out Dolby Live for 2 nights. That is a huge venue for a comic even to do one show. (Gabriel 'Fuffly' Iglesias who sold out Dodger Stadium only plays the Chelsea in Vegas. Chris Rock played the Colosseum)

His act was less 'Woke' than I was expecting- though he's clearly far left of center. He called the Proud Boys the Klan for Millennials, which I thought was a good line :)
Wow sounds hilarious. The proud boys are just like the klan, all those white guys with names like Enrique Tarrio. Fuck Bill Burr

Voscabulary

the lord chief constable knows I'm owen
Forum Clout

any jokes about antifa? or the blm supporters who burned down america for an entire summer?

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Carlin, in his day, was fucking hilarious. Watching those old HBO specials now just seems kind of cliche and dated- he's been copied so many times that you forget who people were imitating. I feel the same way about Pryor.
Carlin himself just ripped off Kinison and Hicks. Before Hicks he was doing "hippie" and "dad" jokes like a dope. Pot humor basically. Only after Hicks started doing his ranting screaming left wing propaganda style humor did Carlin magically find it okay to do that. And Kinison was the one before both of them who did the loud screaming ranting style. The only difference was that Hicks was friends with Kinison and they wrote stuff for each other and were influences on each other.

Carlin just saw what they were doing and copied it. He's no better than Worm Norton who built an entire persona around Colin Quinn and the Jerky Boys and pretended like it was his own original voice. Carlin would have been doing jokes about the weather and what type of umbrella to use had Hicks and Kinison not been in standup comedy.