• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Is St. Anger really that bad?

Forum Clout

I'll give it this: the live in studio version is way better because it's actually garage-y and a bit more unhinged, which is sort of the point. The concept of St. Anger should have been "we wrote an album but we wanted it as raw as possible". Or they could've done something unique like debuting the songs to say, 1000 fan club members live and then having THAT recording be the album itself. I heard of one band whose debut album was a live album, so stuff like this has been done before.

I wanna defend this album, because I broke it down one time and there were only 3 of 11 songs that actually flat out stink. The problem is, those 3 songs equate to like 21 minutes. But if you cut them out, you're left with a decent album. Even with the weird aesthetics, I prefer this over Death Magnetic easily. That album's so redundant and forgettable.

The problem with that, sweetie, is that the album is basically Metallica does Nu metal and at this point they're continuing their trend of adopting the "popular" sound rather than pioneering it. If this were some nobody garage band, you'd say it was a pretty good effort to a promising band that needs refinement.

I will say that I find St Anger more interesting than their later albums, but that's because Metallica is so bad since AJFA. Load and Reload are both garbage and you're right about Death Magnetic, but I'd extend that to their last two also.

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout
but that's because Metallica is so bad since AJFA.
But this is where you lose me. They weren't done since AJFA, they were done AFTER MOP. If you want to go that route anyway.

My thesis is that Metallica was and is so big, anything - and I mean anything - would have been shit on but would have made money.

I sympathize with Slayer's shitty albums because at least those fuckers weren't filthy rich and deserved money. But nobody in that scene was good by that point. I just fail to see how St. Anger is where they failed, because they had either done it already (Load etc.) or they would do it later (Magnetic). St. Anger just isn't the point though. Like, everybody points to that when it was everything else, and it's annoying.

Mustaine could've been the based guy in the scene, but go and listen to his sellout shit and compare it to Load and ReLoad. He's fucking worse imo, and I'm more of a fan of him than Metallica. Out of the entire scene, I think Lombardo is the only real guy.

Cptbaldopie

Forum Clout
I
He comes across like a water head (drugs are bad m'kay) but Phil Anselmo seems cool too
remember watching headbangers ball in the mid to late 2000's and Phil guest hosted and sleard his was thou a talk about flaxseed oil while hitting a heavy bag. Made no sense but made me mad pantera wernt together.

Forum Clout
FRAN
tik
tik
tik
tik
tik
tik
TAWK
Literally came to this thread solely to go TICK TICK TICK TOCK TICK TICK TICK YOU LIVE IT OR LIE IT YOU LIVE IT OR LIE IT YOU FLUSH IT OUT YOU FLUSH IT OUT and so on.

Metallica's albums are very hit and miss even in their "classic" era. Slayer's run from Show No Mercy to Seasons in the Abyss is just about as perfect as you can get a band. Even their later stuff is okay here and there, there's some stuff on God Hates Us All that sounds like music ECW would have used in a video package, I mean that positively.

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
The DMAN has been flip flopping on St Anger since it first came out, which is very odd. Usually The DMAN has consistent taste, but something about this album sounds totally different anytime its played.

Sometimes it sounds weak and tinny with bad production, then other times is sounds more polished than Metallica should sound. But definitely have nostalgia for the title track due to the Elimination Chamber.