• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Is St. Anger really that bad?

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
There’s a deleted scene I remember from the doc where you can Kirk is visibly upset with having to go with the “there’s no solo’s because that’s what’s popular right now” when it was because the songs were all a work in-progress and not done. That was why they didn’t have solos, songs weren’t even finished which explains a lot of the shitty lyrics.

Hudson Margera-Hughes

Heyyyy, HELLHOLE ADLsters...
Forum Clout
It's not a good album by any means, but I always find myself going to revisit it at least once a year and find at least a couple areas I don't mind.

View attachment 179680
Just my two filthy zio-cents: One thing I will honestly give this album is that the guitar sound is heavy and muddy as fuck in a good way! Love Papa Het! Not a Metallica album I go to for listening pleasure myself, but I dig the guitar production. Snare is an abomination, but everyone knows that.

I do enjoy the 72 Seasons album though.
🤘💀🤘

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
There’s a deleted scene I remember from the doc where you can Kirk is visibly upset with having to go with the “there’s no solo’s because that’s what’s popular right now” when it was because the songs were all a work in-progress and not done. That was why they didn’t have solos, songs weren’t even finished which explains a lot of the shitty lyrics.
He literally cries, if I recall. Or at least got teary eyes and a shakey voice.

Udders

Great food
Forum Clout
It really shouldn’t have been released as is - it was a work in progress but they were booked on a summer tour by their label and were told “we’re putting out whatever you have so far” and lead to them leaving their label. It was an album of in-progress demo songs.
I don't know, even by the early 2000s, Metallica was huge beyond huge and wouldn't be bullied into putting out dogshit by Elektra. I'm sure they saw the financial benefits of forming their own label by then. (Reddit mode) You got any kinda source on that? I'd like to read more about it.

lowend73

Forum Clout
You guys don't like hearing a snare drum above all other instruments?

To be honest, Black Album is really a well produced album. The appeal of the albums before is how raw it is, and was not done intentionally. They should have let Fleming Rasmussen produce Black Album (he did Masters of Puppets)

In regard to the mixing of Metallica albums, I think Lars and James are hovering over the engineers the whole time during mix down

Dog Eater

Paint Tin ASMR Enjoyer
Forum Clout
Then the unnamed feeling
It comes alive
Then the unnamed feeling
Takes me away
Been here before
Been here before
Been here before
Been here before
Been here before
Been here before

You see the feeling is unnamed so it’s very deep you see. SHIT

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
I don't know, even by the early 2000s, Metallica was huge beyond huge and wouldn't be bullied into putting out dogshit by Elektra. I'm sure they saw the financial benefits of forming their own label by then. (Reddit mode) You got any kinda source on that? I'd like to read more about it.
I’m going off a scene in the doc where they are told they’ve been booked on a huge summer tour (first in years) and they need an album to promote it. So it’s decided whatever they have so far is going out - then they had to come up with all the reasons why it sounds like shit and how it’s “unique” and all. You could tell from their body language they weren’t happy with this decision as it wasn’t ready and the band itself was just about to implode and all. I think the only time in the doc Kirk actually gets upset is how they were going to explain why it doesn’t have any guitar solos with a lame “we didn’t do solos because other groups aren’t doing that!” Which makes zero sense.

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout

I'll give it this: the live in studio version is way better because it's actually garage-y and a bit more unhinged, which is sort of the point. The concept of St. Anger should have been "we wrote an album but we wanted it as raw as possible". Or they could've done something unique like debuting the songs to say, 1000 fan club members live and then having THAT recording be the album itself. I heard of one band whose debut album was a live album, so stuff like this has been done before.

I wanna defend this album, because I broke it down one time and there were only 3 of 11 songs that actually flat out stink. The problem is, those 3 songs equate to like 21 minutes. But if you cut them out, you're left with a decent album. Even with the weird aesthetics, I prefer this over Death Magnetic easily. That album's so redundant and forgettable.