• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Is St. Anger really that bad?

Cuphead

Formerly know as Fat Abbot
Forum Clout
It's not a good album by any means, but I always find myself going to revisit it at least once a year and find at least a couple areas I don't mind.

1706551008701.png

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Yeah it fucking sucks. Compared to Metallicas earlier albums its shit. Even on its own its not good. My biggest problem is two things

1. The album is slated as “We’re stripped back and want it to be like a band starting in their garage” but the processing and quantization kills this. You’re never not aware you’re listening to an album made in a million dollar studio.

2. The general songwriting is uncreative. They didn’t come into the studio with ideas. They came into the studio wanting to make an album and the ideas came later. Because of that EVERY song follows the same structure with no variation between the verses and such. Sections are just copy and pasted over and over again to pad out the runtime of a song and make it feel complete.

Dusty Dan

Forum Clout
I liked it at the time. I'm not a fan of Metallica though, so maybe that's why. I like a few tracks of course, but never really got into their albums or understood the hype around them. A bit like a metal U2 in that I get that they're good, but I think they've been surpassed by the bands they influenced. I'm a child of late 80s early 90s maaan. I was into death and black metal before I'd ever even heard a Metallica song all the way through.

Cuphead

Formerly know as Fat Abbot
Forum Clout
There's a lot of excellent musical stuff in there but the awful sound and unrefined songwriting puts a damper on it.

Came across this recently where the guy does some songwriting edits and sound improvements, it's an interesting alternative.

Listened to the first two tracks and the mixing is significantly better.

victor_sanchez

buck breaker supreme
Forum Clout
There's a lot of excellent musical stuff in there but the awful sound and unrefined songwriting puts a damper on it.

Came across this recently where the guy does some songwriting edits and sound improvements, it's an interesting alternative.

Fuuuck I can't get st anger out of my head now.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout

You know how I know this album is objectively bad? It might be the most remixed work i’ve ever heard. And every attempt to remix it is with the stated goal of trying to fix it. Like even the fans know how lacking it is.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
The thing with st anger - which lead to metallica leaving Elektra records - was they were booked for a huge summer tour and needed an album to promote and they pretty much made them release what they had which was an album of demos. They had to give it the “oh it’s stripped down, it’s really this, it sounds like shit for a reason etc” because they needed it out in time for a summer tour. You can even see Kirk in a deleted scene getting pissed off about it not having guitar solos as to “match the music of the time” because the songs weren’t even finished - which explains no solos.

They pretty much forced them to smile and release an album that was only about 50% finished.

If they had more time to properly make it would it be better? I think so - the band was breaking apart at the time and trying to fix internal issues. But the album “Lulu”? I can’t explain that one - that just sucks.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
You know how I know this album is objectively bad? It might be the most remixed work i’ve ever heard. And every attempt to remix it is with the stated goal of trying to fix it. Like even the fans know how lacking it is.
It really shouldn’t have been released as is - it was a work in progress but they were booked on a summer tour by their label and were told “we’re putting out whatever you have so far” and lead to them leaving their label. It was an album of in-progress demo songs.

Sue Lightning

Forum Clout
It really shouldn’t have been released as is - it was a work in progress but they were booked on a summer tour by their label and were told “we’re putting out whatever you have so far” and lead to them leaving their label. It was an album of in-progress demo songs.
They could have been given 3-4 years and it would have came out bad I believe. Watching Some Kind of Monster and seeing how they were writing the songs lyrically and musically just showed an utter lack of creativity. You can’t force any band to make music. The music has to come first if that makes sense.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
WRONG. So wrong. That is an extremely divisive album but i LOVE it. Theres something about the mix of Metallicas terrible stock rock instrumentals with Lou Reed rambling on top that makes it hit for me.
I wonder if that will be one that will make sense years later. I remember the last song on the album was kinda cool and was like close to 20 minutes long. At least Lou Reed was a real dick to the band while making it - yelling at Kirk Hammett for his playing and telling him “no flamenco shit!”

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
They could have been given 3-4 years and it would have came out bad I believe. Watching Some Kind of Monster and seeing how they were writing the songs lyrically and musically just showed an utter lack of creativity. You can’t force any band to make music. The music has to come first if that makes sense.
That’s part of it too - it really should have been shelved or flat out rejected by the label (I think there’s a Dave Matthews Band Album in their vault that was rejected and they had to start over and make another one, I know they did it to Kelly Clarkson - just a “we don’t hear any singles, try again”)

It’s kinda like The Beach Boys smile album that was finally finished decades later - the band was in all different places and Brian Wilson had gone crazy