• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Hunter S. Thompson: Faggot or Not Faggot?

Patrick O'Neal

Forum Clout
He was the real deal. The Rum Diary is underrated and a hilarious book based on his younger years working at a paper in Puerto Rico in the late 50s. Johnny Depp removed the most interesting character (Yeamon) and made an average film out of it but then again he was the one who got the novel published in the first place. If you haven't read that book yet, do. It's laugh out loud funny and answers your question with a firm "No."

The Rum Diary made me want to go abroad and be a journalist - which I did in a roundabout kind of way.

Hells Angels is ok.

I've got an anthology The New Journalism which has some gonzo stuff in it including The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved, which is pretty amazing.

Actually, you can read it online:

And I've always wanted to try his 'daily routine'. Maybe on my next birthday.

Attachments

• routine.jpg
    routine.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 40
G

The Rum Diary made me want to go abroad and be a journalist - which I did in a roundabout kind of way.

Hells Angels is ok.

I've got an anthology The New Journalism which has some gonzo stuff in it including The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved, which is pretty amazing.

Actually, you can read it online:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/[/URL]

And I've always wanted to try his 'daily routine'. Maybe on my next birthday.
The daily routine thing is hilarious but must be for comic effect. Anyone would die after a couple of months of that regimen.

Guyincognito

John D’oh!
Forum Clout
Bit of a paradox here...

I've never been against assisted suicide, or Suicide in general, at least once you hit a certain age. If life isn't for you, or you truly feel you've overstayed your welcome, who am I to judge? The world can be bloody torture for some, I get it. I don't think anyone under 20 should jump on that shit, that's too early and life can really turn around, but 67? You know by then.

What I thought was odd was how many people simped for the bloke after he toe-triggered, calling him a "hero". Entertaining author sure, I'll even call him real-ass for going out how he wanted - but you don't throw "hero" around like that. Guess that's what you'd expect from loads like Johnny Depp.

So no, he's not one at all. He stuck to his guns in the end.

That's... That's terrible, I'm sorry.
“Stuck to his guns in the end”.
He was also stuck all over his guns in the end as well

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
I would love to see his reaction to “authors” like Patrick S. Tomlinson, as well as “musicians” like Joseph “Brother Joe” Cumia and wannabe tough guys like Anthony Cumia. HST would easily drink Fat, Loser, Daughter-Abandoning Patrick under the table before beating the ever loving shit out of Joe and AntH.