• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Holigans is your fish fry headquarters.

RedGlareRecipient

Rocketeer
Forum Clout
One dish we Limeys know it's fish and chips. You can get shitty fish and chips all over the UK as well as truly great ones. I've never seen anything as bad as this. The batter should be crisp and light not soaking in grease like that. The chips should be thick cut. Fries belong with a burger, not with a cod. Is that a potato pancake? Wtf. And bread...not enough carbs already?
So are English chips like… a steak fries? Or like a wedges? Don’t you dinks put vinegar on them?

TomFromNawlins

Forum Clout
One dish we Limeys know it's fish and chips. You can get shitty fish and chips all over the UK as well as truly great ones. I've never seen anything as bad as this. The batter should be crisp and light not soaking in grease like that. The chips should be thick cut. Fries belong with a burger, not with a cod. Is that a potato pancake? Wtf. And bread...not enough carbs already?
Not that Hooligans food ever looks good, but I don’t think they are going for fish and chips here.

As they say it is a fish fry, which is usually a communal event popular in many regions of the US, especially on Fridays during Lent. Churches will often host them. I don’t even think the fish is usually battered. It may just be breaded.

G

So are English chips like… a steak fries? Or like a wedges? Don’t you dinks put vinegar on them?
Kind of. They look like this
5d98339a5991cc1b56bd63d806b6d805.jpg

Traditionally they're deep fried in beef dripping (fat) instead of oil and so have a slightly meaty taste. Yep. Salt and malt vinegar go best with them. Ketchup or curry sauce also acceptable. The Scots like to mix HP (brown sauce) and malt vinegar to make a "chippy sauce" I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
This is a proper fish supper, lad. And what you'll look like if you enjoy them more than once in a while

• Cold enough to see your breath and require a winter jacket, but not cold enough for an aesthetic blanket of snow to add charm to the town-- just pissing rain.
  • A meal consisting of fried food and literally zero vegetables.
  • A gent with an unintellegable accent.
This pretty much sums up my brief experiences outside of London (which just felt like modern-day Manhattan to me with more mosques).

I need to drop some cash and try again and explore some of the richer countryside areas, because my first two trips to England left a bit to be desired.

G

• Cold enough to see your breath and require a winter jacket, but not cold enough for an aesthetic blanket of snow to add charm to the town-- just pissing rain.
  • A meal consisting of fried food and literally zero vegetables.
  • A gent with an unintellegable accent.
This pretty much sums up my brief experiences outside of London (which just felt like modern-day Manhattan to me with more mosques).

I need to drop some cash and try again and explore some of the richer countryside areas, because my first two trips to England left a bit to be desired.
You want to go mostly South of London for pleasant English countryside. The Yorkshire dales, Lake District and parts of Shropshire are nice and obviously the Scottish Highlands are incredibly beautiful but a lot of country north of London is a bit grim. Cornwall, Dorset, Devon, Hampshire (especially the New Forest) are all lovely bits of England. It also rains less down there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick_Mickerson

Forum Clout
You want to go mostly South of London for pleasant English countryside. The Yorkshire dales, Lake District and parts of Shropshire are nice and obviously the Scottish Highlands are incredibly beautiful but a lot of country north of London is a bit grim. Cornwall, Suffolk, Dorset, Devon, Hampshire (especially the New Forest) are all lovely bits of England. It also rains less down there.
Yeah, I understand it's all about where you visit. Yorkshire Dales (big James Herriot fan as a kid) and the Highlands are at the top of my list right now, but that's good to know about the countryside south of London.

My concern with Yorkshire Dales is a lot of the farming communities here in the US were nicer when the Herriot books took place than they are now. Patrick's hometown, for example, I would bet was nicer in 1965 with a little Main Street area that has since decayed and been replaced by a Walmart or Dollar General and drugs.

A number of family farms where a lot of people had affluence have now just consolidated into one or two wealthy families and the rest of the town moves away or rots.

G

Yeah, I understand it's all about where you visit. Yorkshire Dales (big James Herriot fan as a kid) and the Highlands are at the top of my list right now, but that's good to know about the countryside south of London.

My concern with Yorkshire Dales is a lot of the farming communities here in the US were nicer when the Herriot books took place than they are now. Patrick's hometown, for example, I would bet was nicer in 1965 with a little Main Street area that has since decayed and been replaced by a Walmart or Dollar General and drugs.

A number of family farms where a lot of people had affluence have now just consolidated into one or two wealthy families and the rest of the town moves away or rots.
Yeah, I haven't been to the Dales since I was a young kid so not really the person to ask. Maybe we've got a Yorkie brotherman on here.

Mick_Mickerson

Forum Clout
Cornwall, Suffolk, Dorset, Devon, Hampshire (especially the New Forest) are all lovely bits of England. It also rains less down there.
These are the areas where rich Londoners fled to that got them in trouble during quarantine, right? If so, that's where I want to go.

I'd like to stay at an Air BNB owned by a rich finance guy who comes every two months and plays dress up in Wellies and Shooting Jacket.

G

These are the areas where rich Londoners fled to that got them in trouble during quarantine, right? If so, that's where I want to go.

I'd like to stay at an Air BNB owned by a rich finance guy who comes every two months and plays dress up in Wellies and Shooting Jacket.
Cornwall is full of big rich pricks, Gordon Ramsay has a big place there and did a runner to there during lockdown. A lot of people got annoyed but fuck em, it's his property. Ditto the Cotswolds (mostly in Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire - see Clarkson's Farm.) Money in the NF too. The South is generally richer than the rest of the country but cities like Nottingham, Manchester and Leeds have come up a long way from before.

G

Kind of. They look like this
View attachment 28473
Traditionally they're deep fried in beef dripping (fat) instead of oil and so have a slightly meaty taste. Yep. Salt and malt vinegar go best with them. Ketchup or curry sauce also acceptable. The Scots like to mix HP (brown sauce) and malt vinegar to make a "chippy sauce" I think.
Nice french fries served in newspaper, stupid.

Disease covered from the paki who delivers the papers and the ink running into the grease.