• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Best horror movies to watch?

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
Even though I prefer the Gabriel era of Genesis, I think you and I have similar taste in early cinema.

Much appreciated. That era was actually the one I pushed to try and get to sing the most - it was a longshot, but they compromised with me on a few things: the first part of Suppers Ready, for example, I was able to sing on the CAS tour. Mike and Tony's edict was "no long plays"; they felt the audience would tune it out. Thankfully, blokes like Steve Hackett, and even my own concerts, have proven that's not true.

But yeah, classic films fascinate me, and are a great reminder to the typical mass about how much cinema has regressed in effort and content. Sure, a lot of the old films are slower, but some of what they did is just incredible: "Faust" and "The Golem" from Germany had amazing visuals, all from camera tricks and handmade props that to this day are still striking - the Fox-produced "Sunrise" by F.W. Murnau built on all of that experience, in a simpler, melodramatic American film. Then there's "Wings" by Paramount, a Clara Bow vehicle about pilots, filmed with cameras attached to actual planes at a time where it had never been done before. Hell, I believe she's even bare breasted in a brief scene - this is the late 20's, mind you.

Old cinema to me is a reflection of society and where it was going... Or what it could've been. I feel like for every step we take forward in striving for equality and peace, we take three steps back and just make things worse.

Oh yeah, we were talking about horror films. I'm still waiting for my import of the Universal Monster set on 4K. I don't go back on tour for another week, so I'm hoping I get to watch all four before I'm on the road again.

Pat_Torque_Monday

on a watchlist of known perverts
Forum Clout
Deep Red (1975) is Argento's best film. The soundtrack absolutely slaps and the bizarre tone, pacing, and atmosphere is very unique and unsettling.

Tenebrae (1982) is Argento's second best film. All of the traits listed above apply to this movie. It has a wonderful chase scene with a Doberman who must've jumped 15 feet in the air multiple times without camera trickery.

Don't Look Now (1973) is unlike anything you've ever seen. At no point will you fully know what's going on but this is not because of poor storytelling, it's because this movie's world is unlike any other movie world; the causality is bizarre, the ambiguities shift at multiple turns, and the climax is the best in the history of horror.

Mute Witness (1995) is a funny and tense thriller. There's definitely some horror elements but it's not a straight genre piece. It is one of the most suspenseful films ever made.

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is a different movie every time I watch it. Still can't make heads or tales of it, but it's a masterclass in pacing and building tension.

Cure (1997) is the best serial killer movie ever made.
Don't Look Now really unnerved me when I first saw it, bit arthousey though so not going to be everyones cup of tea.

Rewatched the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night, which is another movie that isn't gory or packed with tricks to make you jump but is just unsettling and creepy all the way through.

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
Forum Clout
Melencholie der Engel (2009), ranks up there with A Serbian Film for edgy cringe kino (moives trying so hard to be shocking they become cringe and unwittingly funny) wouldnt recommend

i wish i had a cinemageddon account

G

It's already been mentioned a couple of times but I finally got round to watching Hereditary a couple of nights ago. Fucking horrifying.

RedGlareRecipient

Rocketeer
Forum Clout
Well someone's a Negative Nelly!
I think a lot of it is a reaction to the hype around it. I went in expecting “this is gonna be gross and fucked up” and, to me, they dropped the ball.

I had the same reaction to Get Out as well. It’s more a problem with the system than the art.

Joe_Cumia_Eats_HUMAN_SHIT

fuck jews
Forum Clout
Deep Red (1975) is Argento's best film. The soundtrack absolutely slaps and the bizarre tone, pacing, and atmosphere is very unique and unsettling.

Tenebrae (1982) is Argento's second best film. All of the traits listed above apply to this movie. It has a wonderful chase scene with a Doberman who must've jumped 15 feet in the air multiple times without camera trickery.

Don't Look Now (1973) is unlike anything you've ever seen. At no point will you fully know what's going on but this is not because of poor storytelling, it's because this movie's world is unlike any other movie world; the causality is bizarre, the ambiguities shift at multiple turns, and the climax is the best in the history of horror.

Mute Witness (1995) is a funny and tense thriller. There's definitely some horror elements but it's not a straight genre piece. It is one of the most suspenseful films ever made.

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is a different movie every time I watch it. Still can't make heads or tales of it, but it's a masterclass in pacing and building tension.

Cure (1997) is the best serial killer movie ever made.
Giallo is a very good genre. Eyes without a face and The Evil Eye are great. The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh and Your Vice is a Locked Room are great Martino movies

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
Forum Clout
John Carpenters The Thing
this a million fucking times. Also Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. John carpenter movies are mostly pretty good. even the crappy ones are still very watchable.

the Omen movies were good. the second was a bit soft but the third delivers.

these might not count for purists because they're horror comedies but Cabin in the Woods and Trick r Treat are good. Then I sorta like the anthology horror movies and the 80s ones that are kinda cheesy.

Last edited:

RedGlareRecipient

Rocketeer
Forum Clout
this a million fucking times. Also Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. John carpenter movies are mostly pretty good. even the crappy ones are still very watchable.

the Omen movies were good. the second was a bit soft but the third delivers.

these might not count for purists because they're horror comedies but Cabin in the Woods and Trick r Treat are good. Then I sorta like the anthology horror movies and the 80s ones that are kinda cheesy.
I will argue that Cabin in the Woods is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is, but I do agree that it’s enjoyable. It’s nice to see honest examinations of filmic tropes within a story and how our expectations as an audience inform the medium and vice versa.

Jim Norton’s Wife's Cock

Those breeches will stay open!
Forum Clout
Any of you guys seen "Apostle" with Martin Sheen?.. it's honestly not that bad, quite an interesting take on the whole cult subgenre. A pretty gnarly death scene too.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
Forum Clout
I will argue that Cabin in the Woods is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is, but I do agree that it’s enjoyable. It’s nice to see honest examinations of filmic tropes within a story and how our expectations as an audience inform the medium and vice versa.
oh definitely, I enjoyed it for just that,, not really that it was Clever. it was just fun to watch and a lot of nods to horror fans