• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

2000's nostalgia thread

Forum Clout
93e298727e1b3db9badf51a86f4bbf662009-05-28_100515.png

Going on DC and downloading people’s passwords for diablo 2 and rips of Not Another Teen Movie. Games like Everquest where you could grief by feigning death and make people waste hours of their lives and there was nothing they could do about it. You can’t even ruin games like in the good old days.
maxresdefault.jpg

Forum Clout
I still remember the shape and contours of my first Maxtor 500GB IDE drive. Had an early HTPC with a modded xbox with XBMC linked to the home network through ethernet. 700mb divx/xvid DVD rips saw me through a lot of the cinema classics. Hell back then you could get a somewhat decent amount of classics or harder to find stuff from DVD mail order from netflix. This was the end of the era where you were limited to local rental stores or friends circulating weird shit like VHS tapes of Faces of Death, where you could finally get it online if it didn't exist physically near you

more late 90s, but rotten.com was shocking because it lifted that media restricting veil and allowed the curious to see the worst
I got my first CD burner in 1999, from Circuit City. It was a 4x and it cost me something like $350. You had to install it in the tower, no USB. And blank discs were more expensive at first and prone to failures. But I thought being able to copy CDs was just incredible. And in a few short years it was woefully obsolete.

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
Forum Clout
I got my first CD burner in 1999, from Circuit City. It was a 4x and it cost me something like $350. You had to install it in the tower, no USB. And blank discs were more expensive at first and prone to failures. But I thought being able to copy CDs was just incredible. And in a few short years it was woefully obsolete.
Same but Best Buy. Shit felt like magic, too good to be true. I was looking for the CD burning software to include a screenshot of its UI but I forgot the name, it was some blocky thing that looked like early winamp, used to use it to make bin/cue copies of PSX 1 games. Played Resident Evil Nemesis PSX and Hitman 1 on PC from copies from friends

I definitely got some mileage out of DVDR burner throughout the 2000s. For a while it was the only way to 'transfer' media to the livingroom TV, back when the livingroom still meant something (gay clip, the whole ep was better, but makes the point)

CuckQueen

On the Joe Cumia retirement plan.
Forum Clout
There were two great periods for most people in the last 100 years. Without nostalgia filtering it, we can say from 1945-1963 and 1991-2001. The highest levels of income and wealth for most people and big changes in technology for the masses when the US was unquestionably not just the dominant, but almost sole military and economic force in the world. Those times are gone.

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
Forum Clout
Games like Everquest where you could grief by feigning death and make people waste hours of their lives and there was nothing they could do about it. You can’t even ruin games like in the good old days.

I'm not sure why this conjured this memory cause it's not fully related, but it did. Great essay about internet community behavior that made some still applicable predictions. Much of it focuses a lot on early era BBS 80s era internet none of us knew first hand, but only to use that info as a source of evidence for broader points and as written in 2003 so definitely 2000s nostalgia. Hefty but worth the read

PC game griefing online in the early 2000s...

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout
There were two great periods for most people in the last 100 years. Without nostalgia filtering it, we can say from 1945-1963 and 1991-2001. The highest levels of income and wealth for most people and big changes in technology for the masses when the US was unquestionably not just the dominant, but almost sole military and economic force in the world. Those times are gone.
Aren't the 80s considered sweet? A huge bulk of my favourite music is from that period. When I turned sixteen and I discovered 80s metal I was like, "fuck, when did everything get gay?" I think 9/11 flushed the psyches of Westerners right down the toilet; we've been fucked since.

Anyway, I still consider the PS2 to be one of the most sophisticated electronics products. It took consoles from being a toy to being a machine. You didn't need to buy a DVD player if you had one (although the fast-forwarding and rewinding sucked, but you can't have it all). They didn't change the controller just because. It could process ginormous games like San Andreas. Remastered, the Metal Gear games' graphics still hold up, as do some of the Smackdown games. You could play your old PS1 games on it.

It also had one of the best racing games ever in Burnout 3. I felt like my eyes were going to bleed from playing it too long.

CuckQueen

On the Joe Cumia retirement plan.
Forum Clout
Aren't the 80s considered sweet? A huge bulk of my favourite music is from that period. When I turned sixteen and I discovered 80s metal I was like, "fuck, when did everything get gay?" I think 9/11 flushed the psyches of Westerners right down the toilet; we've been fucked since.

Anyway, I still consider the PS2 to be one of the most sophisticated electronics products. It took consoles from being a toy to being a machine. You didn't need to buy a DVD player if you had one (although the fast-forwarding and rewinding sucked, but you can't have it all). They didn't change the controller just because. It could process ginormous games like San Andreas. Remastered, the Metal Gear games' graphics still hold up, as do some of the Smackdown games. You could play your old PS1 games on it.

It also had one of the best racing games ever in Burnout 3. I felt like my eyes were going to bleed from playing it too long.
The 80s had some good music, but it was the dying of American industry, unions, the hollowing out of the middle class.

Last edited:
G

2001, 2002, I liked playing Grand Theft Auto 3 at my friend's house and being amazed it was a video game set in an actual city like the real world, and you could run around and do anything. I remember going home and playing the city level of Goldeneye 64 to recapture that but it was obviously nowhere near that level lol.

Forum Clout
The 80s had some good music, but it was the dying of American industry, unions, the hollowing out of the middle class. 80s were definitely better than the 70s, but the service economy hadn't really caught on.
You had Gen X kids coming of age at a time when opportunities were already more limited than the ones that existed for their parents, who came of age at a time when anyone willing to work a 40 hour week could make a reasonable living. The disillusionment, anger and decay was reflected in the rock, metal, punk and hardcore scenes of the time. The threat of nuclear war, the hypocrisy of institutions like religion and the media, Reagan, all reflected in the music of the time.

My hometown was pretty much supported by three major industrial businesses, all of which either went belly-up or shrank considerably by the very early 1980s. These companies employed a huge percentage of the town's population and the town was gutted when those people lost their jobs. From a kid's perspective, everyone's mom went back to work during that time, which was way less commonplace before, and just like that the first latchkey generation was born. Towns like mine boosted property taxes to make up for the lost revenue and suddenly a lot of blue-collar people were priced out. It really didn't start to balance back out until home values started skyrocketing in the 90s, thus beginning the equity/credit era.

Forum Clout

When the factories in American cities shut down, the initial decay that occurred in inner city neighborhoods throughout the 70s and 80s was really fucking dark, before cities started reinventing themselves *sniff* in the 90s.

Working class neighborhoods in 1963 were completely unrecognizable shitholes by the 80s and after all the hope and progress of the post-war years Im sure it seemed really bleak and depressing. Of course, nowadays everyone has fully accepted that we’re fucked, but at least we’ve already been through the 7 stages of grief and can just laugh about the world as it burns.

Edit: Also, Vietnam psychologically stained the nation in an incredibly profound way. The general comfort of thinking the government and leaders were always gonna do the right thing was suddenly gone. Over 50,000 young men were sent to die for reasons people werent quite sure about and shit was never the same.

Last edited:

Udders

Great food
Forum Clout
lol

free-download-bearshare-full-version1.jpg

emule-0-48a.png

reminder: Napster is basically still real. It's called SoulSeek (no association with original napster programmer). Shit is still pretty great, especially after What.CD died off way back

late 2000s nostalgia: music blogs with links to zips/rars of albums hosted by mediafire/Megaupload
I was thinking of posting a SS of emule too but I figured that was too deep. Everyone used Kazaa, only hardcores used emule. Remember downloading from Hotline? Or finding FTP servers off oth.net?

JoshFromMichigan

I miss Norm
Forum Clout
93e298727e1b3db9badf51a86f4bbf662009-05-28_100515.png

Going on DC and downloading people’s passwords for diablo 2 and rips of Not Another Teen Movie. Games like Everquest where you could grief by feigning death and make people waste hours of their lives and there was nothing they could do about it. You can’t even ruin games like in the good old days.
maxresdefault.jpg
God damn, I used to love DC++. You could find literally anything if you got on the right hub.

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
Forum Clout
I was thinking of posting a SS of emule too but I figured that was too deep. Everyone used Kazaa, only hardcores used emule. Remember downloading from Hotline? Or finding FTP servers off oth.net?
i loved emule always had it running in the background 24/7 in 2000s. i only half understand how it works, basically themore you upload the easier to download. shit doesnt download at all when you first started