• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAWD Squirrels?

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
Javier.png

- Meet Javier - Fox Squirrel (Sciurus Niger) - Wikipedia

Last summer I noticed this lil guy move into the oak tree next to my house. I don't know what made me want to befriend it but after thinking about such for sometime I went out and bought a variety of nuts both shelled and whole to start placing around the tree. At first he wasn't having any of it .. ended up attracting ants, cats, a deer once and who knows what else that didn't get captured on the trail camera but no darn squirrel. This went on for several weeks until he finally started to take a few nuts before scampering back up the tree. This is where I set my plan into action - every week I would move the feeding area closer and closer to my back porch with the ultimate goal of being able to maybe hand feed / pet him or if that isn't a good idea because of the rabies risk at least be able to chill there with him while he is eating.

So all of this went on throughout the winter, slowly making headway to the porch when last month he finally got the courage to leave the grass and venture up the stairs. He started grabbing the walnuts and running off with em at first but after awhile he would sit still and eat the whole pile before departing. So far I been doing all my watching from the window as I am afraid of spooking him via the door opening but maybe after a few more weeks of this I will attempt to refill his platter and see how he reacts.

Does anyone here have any experience with squirrels or any pets that are not the standard cat / dog ? Thank you for reading my story and in return I would love to hear yours.

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
They eat pretty good.

I never hunted but this year I passed my hunters ed and am ready to get my basic license along with tags. One of the first animals I was gonna go for was a squirrel as I figured they would be easy and I wanted something small to attempt cleaning the hide to get something usable out of it but after interacting with Javier here ... well .. I don't think I could bring myself to kill a squirrel. I never tasted such but if it was on the menu I would def try but as far as harming poor lil Javier or his kin.. I done gone soft.

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
Squirrels can definitely bond with people. They're relatively harmless creatures so I wouldn't worry about rabies or any of that. The only problem is this dude is gonna be bugging you every day for nuts now so hope you don't mind him on your porch daily.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep us posted.

Thank you for the kind words. From the bit I read about squirrels, they really can bond with people. Some report how a squirrel will pick one member of the family over another to attach to and will shun if not out right hate the rest.

I would welcome ole Javier stopping by to visit but there is one thing I am not fond of .. and that is thieves .. I put out some walnuts just a bit ago in an attempt to get a more recent photo of Javier for the forum and this is what I saw ..

alvin.png

Damn chipmunk is crossing over the 17th Parallel and stealing supplies to take back into his tunnel.. fucker is such a greedy tomlinson he stuffed every last walnut into his cheeks so he wouldn't have to leave one morsel for Javier. .

PorqueDealer

Portly Pepperoni Purveyor
Forum Clout
Some of them in the parks around here are pretty tame and can be hand fed.
Filthy mutt grey squirrels are reducing the population of red squirrel here
We also have pretty rare black squirrels

Last year there was one with a skin/fur issue so it was pretty much bald. Seemed to go about it's business ok but looked like a rat which was freaky seeing it run up and down trees

Feehan's Fart Box

DEAD HEAT! You die, you come back to rife!
Forum Clout
They're pretty smart and fun to watch. I've been feeding the ones in my backyard for a few years. I was able to regularly hand feed one a few years ago until she stopped coming by (I'm guessing she past... sniff). It took a few months of patience and feeding the squirrel for a while I was in close proximity. At first I would leave food at the edge of the deck and kept moving it closer over time so you're on the right track. The key is to not make sudden movements or loud noises and try to be still. I've noticed some are a lot more bold/friendly than others. If you notice one that seems to be willing to eat around you there is a good chance they will warm up to you more.

I also am careful not to overfeed them. I usually give them a handful of sunflower seeds a day and some water and they just use it as another spot to check for food. They aren't too demanding. There is one that has been coming around for a long time and while I don't hand feed her, she is comfortable with coming up and eating within a few feet of me. I still get a kick out of watching them up close.

Forum Clout
I never hunted but this year I passed my hunters ed and am ready to get my basic license along with tags. One of the first animals I was gonna go for was a squirrel as I figured they would be easy and I wanted something small to attempt cleaning the hide to get something usable out of it but after interacting with Javier here ... well .. I don't think I could bring myself to kill a squirrel. I never tasted such but if it was on the menu I would def try but as far as harming poor lil Javier or his kin.. I done gone soft.
I go hunting every year. Mostly deer with a little black bear and some turkey during spring gobbler season. The guys I hunt with are pretty hard core hunters and they go squirrel hunting alot. They always say that it's a pain to get enough killed and cleaned to get a good meal from. They usually make a stew out of them but I never eat any of it.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
Forum Clout
It tastes “gamey.” It’s a broad descriptor but it’s true.

Mr-Wrinkle-Paws

My name's Henry. And you're here with me now
Forum Clout
Fuck squirrels, shoot on sight they are like niggers damaging everything, bastards chewed up my bird feeder to get the sunflower seeds out, so hooked a stun gun to the bitch, when they stick their mush between those wires and make contact trying to grab some seeds they jump having no idea what hit them three feet away, flying squirrels are another pile of of shit

Forum Clout
Another memory is of my old dog who would always bolt out the backdoor if he saw a squirrel in the yard. He'd chase them to a tree and they'd run up it and get away, but he would always stand at the tree and stare at them for a bit. One day he finally caught one, but he didn't kill it. I remeber seeing him in the backyard standing there with the squirrel in his mouth and looking confused; he let it go and the squirrel ran away as fast as it could. I like to think that he was so focused on catching one of those fuckers that he never thought about what he'd do if he actually caught one.

After that, I'd sporadically find pieces of food in the yard. At first I thought it was my scumbag neighbor but it was actually squirrels doing it. I like to think that they did it as a show of thanks to my dog for letting their squirrel bro live.

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
I like it when going for a run and they randomly start barking at me while up in a tree. I pretend they are cheering me on. Grays aren't native species here but have sent the smaller reds to the one set of mountains we have in England. Lovely little fellas.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
I bought a quality slingshot (not some wrist rocket piece of shit) and got accurate as all fuck with it for the purpose of killing squirrels and rabbits and I haven't brought myself to get one yet. I do hunt because I like meat but I really fucking hate killing things lol.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
My friend in elementary school had a black squirrel named Rocky as a pet. He'd talk about it and nobody would believe him until they saw it. It was always just chilling on his mom's shoulder or in her robe pocket while she watched TV.

My grandfather had a chipmunk that would hang out with us in the back yard and take peanuts from our hands and stuff them into his big stupid cheeks. One day I saw the girl next door and her friend giving my chipmunk peanuts and I got so jealous I wanted to spaz the fuck out. YOU DON'T FEED MY CHIPMUNK! YOU DON'T FEED MY FUCKING CHIPMUNK, YOU WHORES!

Last edited: