• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW the Donner Party?

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
Ken Burns’ BROTHER ( :image_9247_lg: ) made a pretty good documentary for PBS about it. That Lansford Hastings nigga was funny, he just told these people to go across the salt desert in Utah with their wagons and shit.

I wonder if he was Pat like: “No, child, the winTer is noT coming yeT. There is plenTy of TrailheaD on the CuToff. Those stories you hear of diD noT occur.”

G

Ken Burns’ BROTHER ( :image_9247_lg: ) made a pretty good documentary for PBS about it. That Lansford Hastings nigga was funny, he just told these people to go across the salt desert in Utah with their wagons and shit.

I wonder if he was Pat like: “No, child, the winTer is noT coming yeT. There is plenTy of TrailheaD on the CuToff. Those stories you hear of diD noT occur.”
Fawk I love a good Ken Burns documentree, gonna have to give it a little peek.

I’m an asshole, you said his brother, I’ll still watch it.

JamieConway

Still Serchin' 4 Da Truf
Forum Clout

I watched that doc about 15 years ago and was shocked more people haven't watched it. It's only an hour but it's fantastic.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
How bout the crew of the HMS Terror? The show was okay until the CGI ManPolarbearPig showed up, but it got me interested in the historical story.

They just recently found perfectly mummified bodies buried in the permafrost for 150 years or whatever it was. The rest resorted to cannibalism and lost their minds. The Innuit up there still tell stories of the mad white men wandering across the tundra. Nutty shit.

Edit: forgot all about this part: the Terror was innovative for it's time for having an onboard water filtration system, except that it was made out of lead. Scientists now speculate that the entire crew was mad from lead poisoning well before they froze or starved to death. This actually paints the show in a different light: there was no yeti or polar bear monster - they'd just gone mad and were killing each other after being stuck in the ice for almost a year.
I took it as the man bear pig was a mass delusion on account of the bad canned food and tainted water

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
How bout the crew of the HMS Terror? The show was okay until the CGI ManPolarbearPig showed up, but it got me interested in the historical story.

They just recently found perfectly mummified bodies buried in the permafrost for 150 years or whatever it was. The rest resorted to cannibalism and lost their minds. The Innuit up there still tell stories of the mad white men wandering across the tundra. Nutty shit.

Edit: forgot all about this part: the Terror was innovative for it's time for having an onboard water filtration system, except that it was made out of lead. Scientists now speculate that the entire crew was mad from lead poisoning well before they froze or starved to death. This actually paints the show in a different light: there was no yeti or polar bear monster - they'd just gone mad and were killing each other after being stuck in the ice for almost a year.
Fawkin’ fascinated with this sort of stuff. The story of Essex always was very interesting to me. Can’t imagine just floating in some boat for months at sea, the mental break would have to be intense to witness.