• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Why did the English had beef with Irish?

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
My grandfather, a Catholic, ran a business in northern Ireland with a full on orangeman in the height of the troubles. His stories are amazing .

The actual root cause of any issue will likely be lost in time. We have so much history that I've never really been taught or looked into the ancient history of it all. Know about the troubles and Irish independence movements but before that? Nothing outside of the famine but even that is in the context of the independence movement

G

LMAO Ireland was literally the laboratory for the Brits to learn how to be Imperial jerks...There was a time in the 18th century where every piece of valuable land in Ireland was owned by absentee English Landlords.

90% of Irish Americans are descendants of ppl evicted from their lands by these English absentee lords, and who had no where to go. (something tells me the evictions were not organic and were done so the Micks could be used to settle and work lands in the New World.

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Forum Clout
But why the english treated them differently? Just because they were from a different region.

The english ruled over them for some time so they should have just come to a conclusion like "yeah man these irish are just like us, why treat them worse, pretty cool people".

Ireland was for a long time ruled by Gaelic clans. England was run by a feudal system. An Irish or English identity didn't exist for most of history. These are modern concepts. When James I (nephew of Elizabeth I) became King, he was also simultaneously the King of Scotland, England and Ireland. He consolidated his power by fighting or bribing the Gaelic clans for fielty. Some never gave in and were beaten, but most took the land and title and converted to the English feudal system.

When Irish play the victim about the English they are usually referring to the following

* Norman Invasion. This wasn't the English - it was the Irish who invited them, but the Pope saw an opportunity to regain control in Ireland and supported the Norman conquest. Think of it like when Cersei invited the Faith into Kings Landing and it backfired. Similar situation. The Normans basically brought castles to Ireland so they should honestly be fucking grateful because there's nothing else to see there.

* Ulster Plantation. This is a reasonable gripe, but it happened a lot throughout Europe. It's a bit like the Israeli's occupied territories. Not much the Irish could do about it.

* Cromwell Invasion. This is a weird one to blame on the English. Cromwell was a republican dictator who overthrew the monarchy and executed the King. The Irish government sided with the surviving heir and declared war on Cromwell. He then dealt with the threat in the most medieval way possible.

* Potato Famine. At this point the Irish had become mostly poor and uneducated due to English rule, so it was a self fulfilling prophecy. They were also having far too many children, which the food supply couldn't sustain. There were 8 million people in Ireland at the time. They talked and acted stupid so they were treated as such. You're an island nation with rivers and lakes, catch a fish or two you dumb mick.

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Forum Clout
Ireland was for a long time ruled by Gaelic clans. England was run by a feudal system. An Irish or English identity didn't exist for most of history. These are modern concepts. When James I (nephew of Elizabeth I) became King, he was also simultaneously the King of Scotland, England and Ireland. He consolidated his power by fighting or bribing the Gaelic clans for fielty. Some never gave in and were beaten, but most took the land and title and converted to the English feudal system.

When Irish play the victim about the English they are usually referring to the following

* Norman Invasion. This wasn't the English - it was the Irish who invited them, but the Pope saw an opportunity to regain control in Ireland and supported the Norman conquest. Think of it like when Cersei invited the Faith into Kings Landing and it backfired. Similar situation. The Normans basically brought castles to Ireland so they should honestly be fucking grateful because there's nothing else to see there.

* Ulster Plantation. This is a reasonable gripe, but it happened a lot throughout Europe. It's a bit like the Israeli's occupied territories. Not much the Irish could do about it.

* Cromwell Invasion. This is a weird one to blame on the English. Cromwell was a republican dictator who overthrew the monarchy and executed the King. The Irish government sided with the surviving heir and declared war on Cromwell. He then dealt with the threat in the most medieval way possible.

* Potato Famine. At this point the Irish had become mostly poor and uneducated due to English rule, so it was a self fulfilling prophecy. They were also having far too many children, which the food supply couldn't sustain. There were 8 million people in Ireland at the time. They talked and acted stupid so they were treated as such. You're an island nation with rivers and lakes, catch a fish or two you dumb mick.
Thanks so much brotherman. Finally i get the whole picture. You summarized it really well.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
Forum Clout

Well during the potato famine, Ireland was still a net food exporter. Just that all the valuable commodities like wheat were sold and used elsewhere. I read a paper on the subject a while back that I wish I had the link to still. Broke down reasons it was circumstance and ways it seemed deliberate.

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
The English saw the Irish as savages because that's what they were.

Even when the Romans got to Ireland, they essentially looked around and said, No way Jose, and never went back.

Too bad they didn't stay. The Romans exterminated the Celts in mainland Europe and could have done us a huge favor.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
Irish people are blue eyed, white as snow and behave pretty much the same as the english. Why didn't the english see irish as their own? I get italians and greeks are pretty different from the english but irish doesn't make sense.

Is it because of some gay christian shit?
The English hated everyone and loved conquering other nations. Also, everyone else looks different than the English, those pasty ass goons that explode in the sunlight.

G

Well during the potato famine, Ireland was still a net food exporter. Just that all the valuable commodities like wheat were sold and used elsewhere. I read a paper on the subject a while back that I wish I had the link to still. Broke down reasons it was circumstance and ways it seemed deliberate.
Maybe from here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.irishholocaust.org/[/URL]

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, but found the guy's telling of the events at least plausible.