• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Where we at with Svengoolie?

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
I bet the new MST3K will be all about punching up and remembering not to be too hard on these movies. After all, people worked really hard on them, guys!

I've seen the old KTMA episodes online, when they were legit improvising their riffs. They had Kevin Weinstein as Servo, a then 16 year old cynical prick. Trace was a wannabe standup. Joel was a legit standup who got jaded by LA and left to return to the safety of Minnesota. And Jim Mallon was a wannabe director with some experience. They didn't pre-screen the films then, never rehearsed, had long periods with no comments at all... But they could be fucking brutal on those movies, because they were in the network library - they never got permission to do what they did.

It softened with the Comedy Central move, and you make a joke - but that was really Joel's viewpoint. Most of the harsh jokes were delivered by Trace and Kevin (and written by head writer, Mike Nelson), Joel would always scold the bots for those. The only times I remember him being harsh himself was Manos, Monster-A-Go-Go, and his last episode, Mitchell - which I chalked up to him not caring anymore after being forced out.

I loved the show. It's a crazy humor that feels so universal, but I don't feel that same down home humor in those Netflix seasons. If that vibe continues, I'll just ignore the damn thing.

Will Tate

Oven March
Forum Clout
I've seen the old KTMA episodes online, when they were legit improvising their riffs. They had Kevin Weinstein as Servo, a then 16 year old cynical prick. Trace was a wannabe standup. Joel was a legit standup who got jaded by LA and left to return to the safety of Minnesota. And Jim Mallon was a wannabe director with some experience. They didn't pre-screen the films then, never rehearsed, had long periods with no comments at all... But they could be fucking brutal on those movies, because they were in the network library - they never got permission to do what they did.

It softened with the Comedy Central move, and you make a joke - but that was really Joel's viewpoint. Most of the harsh jokes were delivered by Trace and Kevin (and written by head writer, Mike Nelson), Joel would always scold the bots for those. The only times I remember him being harsh himself was Manos, Monster-A-Go-Go, and his last episode, Mitchell - which I chalked up to him not caring anymore after being forced out.

I loved the show. It's a crazy humor that feels so universal, but I don't feel that same down home humor in those Netflix seasons. If that vibe continues, I'll just ignore the damn thing.
The Netflix reboot just felt like a try-hard circle jerk--I'll admit to liking some of the riffs, but the fact that original was working with what appeared to be a shoestring budget was a huge part of its charm. Now they have a celebrity cast, such as they are, and a fucking band for Christ's sake. I'll take the MST3K Twitch channel over the Netflix shit any day of the week.

And yes, Felicia Day really does look like Joe Camel. I don't know how it is I can hate a redhead with such nice gams, but here were are.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
The Netflix reboot just felt like a try-hard circle jerk--I'll admit to liking some of the riffs, but the fact that original was working with what appeared to be a shoestring budget was a huge part of its charm. Now they have a celebrity cast, such as they are, and a fucking band for Christ's sake. I'll take the MST3K Twitch channel over the Netflix shit any day of the week.

And yes, Felicia Day really does look like Joe Camel. I don't know how it is I can hate a redhead with such nice gams, but here were are.

... I'd still give Felicia Day a smooch. I think she's a little cutie in an odd way. Gosia even agrees.

BUT the perpetuation of the nerds culture glorifying I don't get. Patton Oswalt is guilty of this too. It just feels like they really, really don't want to grow up.

You don't have to lose your bloody whimsy when you get older, stupid. But when I see people spend several hundred on a sealed box of 1989 Batman cereal, I want to beat them with a coconut Roddy Piper-style. It reeks of a petulant, stunted state of adolescence.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
Not sure if it's well-known and I'm just a @JohnnyComeLately, but old MST3K and Rifftraxs are on Pluto TV.