• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What was your allowance?

DiarrheaDick

Get up here and shut up!
Forum Clout
Is anyone else perplexed someone was still getting an allowance as a teenager? I got paid doing various things around the house since there was always something to do with how lazy my parents were. Even during that time I'd still shovel sidewalks, mow lawns, rake leaves, paint, do catering, etc. Maybe I just had a shit childhood. I definitely became awfully Jewish with money at a young age though.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
I didn't get an allowance but I worked for my family so if I ever needed money for something my mom would give me a 20.

In high school if I ever needed money for weed I'd tell my dad that I was taking a girl to the movies and he'd always give me $20.

I remember $20 being a big deal. It'd get you a gram of weed and a bunch of candy. I can't get fuck all at the grocery store now for under $60.

EraGodless

Forum Clout
Is anyone else perplexed someone was still getting an allowance as a teenager? I got paid doing various things around the house since there was always something to do with how lazy my parents were. Even during that time I'd still shovel sidewalks, mow lawns, rake leaves, paint, do catering, etc. Maybe I just had a shit childhood. I definitely became awfully Jewish with money at a young age though.
I did all of those things (except the catering) and I worked Summers (best job was working for the city water district in the Summer before my senior year of HS)- my dad still gave me around $20 a week when I was home from school. I'm unfortunately the opposite of Jewish with money- even when I work my ass off for it, I'm pretty generous with it. It's a curse.

TheRevAlJolson

Blackface Killah
Forum Clout
My broke ass family wasn't handing out free money. My allowance was whatever cash I could find around the house to steal when I needed some shit until I got old enough to sling weed

Jesse Ventura

Access to the debates
Forum Clout
I didn’t get an allowance but I remember a kid who lived down the street from me had some hilarious allowance stipulations. He’d get like $2 a week but he’d have to divvy it up between a “savings” jar, a “spending” jar, and a “gift” jar so he could buy his fat sister shit for her bday or Christmas. His parents siphoning his allowance to subsidize gifts for their lardo daughter always killed me.

I remember one time he and I wanted to go buy some useless crap at the mall and his dad looked at him and dead seriously said “all this money is burning a hole in your pocket!” and the kid had like $4 to spend. That’s stuck with me for 25 years.

Last edited:
G

This was like 8th-9th grade until I could get a job in 10th. I got $5 a day for breakfast/lunch at school. Breakfast I never got so I could save the money but I’d eat whatever the gross lunch of the day was for $2 (I think lunch was $1.80 and like an extra drink carton made it $2, idr for sure) so I’d have like 15 bucks leftover after the school week. My parents usually gave me like 10 bucks to have for the weekend. So I’d have like 25 dollars for beer or whatever that weekend unbeknownst to them. Occasionally I’d be able to squeeze another 20 on a Saturday if I said I was going to the movies or to something along those lines which would cost more than $10.

That stopped for the most part in 10th grade, I got a job bussing tables at bar/restaurants which I absolutely hated doing but it was really good money for a 15 year old. When I got my license in 11th grade my sister gave me her old shitty Saturn when she bought a new one after she graduated college. I started delivering food and then after awhile me and my older brother started a delivery company that was like Uber eats before Uber eats. We had like 15 restaurants and I got all my friends with cars to work for me for $5 bucks an hour +tips (off the books, bc there were no books) The restaurants would call a cell phone we got that was the “company number” and we would just dispatch a driver. No overhead, no taxes, it ruled. All the restaurants paid us cash under the table and I was making far too much money for a 18 year old soooo all that money just went up my nose lol it lasted a few years but I crashed and burned eventually.

*this essay of my life was brought to you by adderall*