• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What was the Civil War really about?

HomeRunCumia

‎
‎
Forum Clout
The main issue was slavery, it wasn't the only issue, but it was the one that caused secession. If you don't believe me then ask the Vice President of the Confederate States...

"Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth." - Alexander Stephens

LiberalPussy

‎
‎
Forum Clout
The main issue was slavery, it wasn't the only issue, but it was the one that caused secession. If you don't believe me then ask the Vice President of the Confederate States...

"Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth." - Alexander Stephens
Such wise words.

Monk

‎
‎
Forum Clout
There's a difference between what caused the war and what the war was about to the individual. Slavery was the most central cause of the war but there were also a lot of other issues tied into that which had broader implications with regard to states' rights, economics, the expansion of the country, etc. What the war was "about" depended on the individual.

TheUserRedditBanned

‎
‎
Forum Clout
Whether Industrialism caused the war or not (certainly a factor) the North won because of their industry. Specifically the railroads. It is always more effective to ship your cannon fodder to the action than march them there. Plus the army that gets into position faster chooses the battlefield.

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
‎
‎
Forum Clout
Tariffs.

As far as the slave issues... I'm too lazy to look it up (still have flu), but....

One of the only, if not the only slave issue that was brought up was that Lincoln didn't want slaves in western states in the 1860 election.

The South was cool too with defending the South, but when Lee started moving North, the army members were getting pissed.

The north treated blacks even worse, and the natives had negro slaves; and they got to have slaves after the war.

WhereWeAt

‎
‎
Forum Clout
Those Southerners must have been real fags to lose a war where they were 80% of the economy, basically made all the food, and had an army of slaves to fight for them.

You've got that economy figure upside down and then some, brotherman.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
‎
‎
Forum Clout
iT wAs AboUT STatEs rIGHts!!

Yeah to have slaves you fucking retards
This is genuinely my opinion as well. I’d tell you if it wasn’t but it’s not like that was only happening in America. The southern states wanting to keep slaves and count them as voters was pretty fucking ballsy.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
‎
‎
Forum Clout
It was about the role of government.

Captain America didn't want superheroes to have to register and be placed under government oversight. Ironman did. They couldn't resolve the issue peacefully so they had a big fight. No joke, this is how Reddit understands it.
Pleas explain this to me in terms of the Spider Man universe.

HomeRunCumia

‎
‎
Forum Clout
Those Southerners must have been real fags to lose a war where they were 80% of the economy, basically made all the food, and had an army of slaves to fight for them.
They were only big on agricultural, they didn't have the industry of the North, and the Union still had farming and the ability to import food. As well, they immediately blockaded the Southern ports. They also couldn't arm the slaves to fight for them because they couldn't trust them, and why would they trust guns in the hands of their slaves?

HomeRunCumia

‎
‎
Forum Clout
Another point on the Civil War that doesn't get brought up is that the French had troops in Mexico, and the British in Canada. Had the CSA won their independence, there is no doubt the European powers would have attempted to squeeze a newly divided and broken Republic. I used to be a huge Confederate supporter, studied the Civil War like a religion, and I've finally come to the conclusion that it was better for the Union to win...

Dougie's Hapa Daughter

Look Daddy! I'm on TV!
‎
‎
Forum Clout
OK:

-South and North exist.

-North can't compete economically in agriculture with south because North has cold real winters, limiting growing periods.

-North invests heavily into factories and the manufacturing of processed goods to create their economic powerhouse as they can operate year-round, like southern agriculture.

-South is invested into agriculture, and use slavery to augment and sustain economic power of agricultural production.

-Haitian slave rebellion occurs, where France is BTFO, loses so much money in trying to retake the country that Napoleon sells the Louisiana Purchase. After the slave rebellion, Haitian slaves carry out massive genocide on any white French men, women, and children that remained, and the news of such was reported widely.

-Other European Caribbean colonies experience slave revolts and rebellions, and Europe generally abandons them, and begins to take abolitionist stances on matters now that they have no more need for slaves since they gave up on the Caribbean.

-North, which has no need for slavery because of their reliance on factories and not agriculture, begin to foster the abolitionist sentiments emanating from Europe because abolishing slavery would do no harm to their way of life.

-South, which has the reports of the massive genocides and horrors that occurred in Haiti to the whites after the slaves were freed, and still being totally economically reliant on slavery to support their agriculture, is obviously completely opposed to the idea of abolishing slavery.

Then basically over the course of a decade or two, the abolitionist sentiment in the north grew stronger and stronger, leading the north to make more and more impositions on the south in their attempts to get them to abolish slavery, until the south said fuck it and splintered off into their own country, and the war began.

To say "it was just over slavery" is usually a reductionist horseshit take that wants to condense the north into the 'good guys' and the south into the 'evil racists'. It was the core issue at stake, but it doesn't cover the whys and wherefores of why things were the way they were.

TL;DR we should have just picked our own fuckin cotton

G

All wars have "official" (usually noble) claims but hidden, more ignoble reasons.

Jefferson Davis was really just an American Volodomir Zelensky (he had British Empire advice and aid). The British Empire was funding the Confederate states because their Textile industry depended on Southern Cotton. So they had an economic motive to side with the South. The British were building and supplying all the Ships and shit for the Confederates. [URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_diplomacy[/URL]

If the British weren't already occupied with the Crimean war a few years earlier, they would have even done more...if they knew they could rely on France, they wouldn't worry about an American invasion of Canada as retaliation (only thing preventing the British navy from blockading American ships from entering Europe).