• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Were any of you in sped classes growing up?

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
My handwriting is really bad so for exams I was allowed to go on a laptop. It was in a little room with the thick lads. I would get an exam done in half the time as it's far quicker to type than write for me. Would waltz out as they were struggling chewing on a pencil and be home in time for neighbours lunchtime episode.

One of those thick lads got sent down for leaving a crowbar at a kidnapping/ jewelry robbery. 13 years. Whoops.

EraGodless

Forum Clout
Statistically speaking, someone here has to have some sort of special education growing up.
Yes. I was a constant/habitual truant. They put me in "The Rubber Room." Most of the kids were okay, they just didn't give a fuck. However, there were a few legit retards (like room temperature IQ's) in the classes. I wound up going to boarding school where there were no SPED classes and I took honors classes. I wound up attending college on an academic scholarship. 🙃

I taught special ed for awhile and it has completely changed from the 80's/90's. They mainstream damn near all of them except for math and language arts-- so you have sped kids taking history and science classes that might as well be taught in Mandarin. It would make literally zero difference in their comprehension of the subject(s).

Carl Winslow

I'm not a Fed
Forum Clout
I had to repeat a grade in elementary, and had to go to "special" classes in elementary and middle school. Never full blown special education.

Looking back, my parents were lazy as fuck and had this idea that teachers were great. My one teacher would scream at me at the top of her lungs in front of the whole class if I read a word wrong. Boy, that made me want to learn.

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
Yeah, sort of, I'm going to guess my parents volunteered me for it, but yeah, I was always in the retard class with the gurglers. I don't know why, I guess they thought I'd be a good influence on them. Then after school, starting about second grade, my parents had me volunteer at a foster home or something for those types, delinquents and retards. Again, I guess they expected me to set an example, I have no idea why else I would be there, and even then, I still kind of don't understand why I couldn't at least go home to sleep and had to sleep there instead. After about 3 years I forgot my parents faces, couldn't really remember what their voices sounded like, then when I was about 16 it all came together, and I finally memorized my multiplication tables.