Wayne’s World sucks- what are some other classic movies that don’t hold up?

G

I haven’t seen either Wayne’s World in forever so I’m curious if they hold up for me or not Tried the first Austin Powers a while ago and I barely laughed at all. It just feels like an elongated, mediocre SNL bit. I hated Space Balls even as s kid so I agree there. Caddyshack stinks besides the Ted Knight character and Rodney was ok too. Chevy always bugged me and that kid with the main role was a total dud. I didn’t like Animal House either. Was before my time and just didn’t hit with me. The Jim Carrey comedy movies don’t bug me so much. Ace Ventura is a completely stupid character but I still like Dumb and Dumber and even The Cable Guy has some funny moments to me despite it being under the Apatow umbrella. Boring ass Matthew Broderick brought that movie down more than anything.

I dunno if Independence Day is a classic but I absolutely hate that movie and I always have. Every acting performance in it sucks. The stock characterizations are bothersome. The action is irrelevant. The aliens look stupid. The ending couldn’t be more dumb. Bill Pullman sucks in everything. I’m getting mad just thinking about it. Respect to Roland Emmerich for making so much money despite being a fucking terrible director. He’s made exclusively shit movies and keeps plowing ahead.

V for Vendetta seems to get a lot of praise in some circles and I might hate that movie more than Independence Day. Why hire Natalie Portman to play a Brit when she can’t do an accent to save her life? Watch the clip where she says “you cut off my hair” or whatever. Says hair like “haaaaaaahhhhh!”. Infuriating. Just hire a Brit for fuck’s sake. V is a retarded character. His “remember remember the 5th of November” or whatever date it was speech is annoying and pretentious. The plot is insipid. The critique of modern society was weak and felt like a high school lecture. Hate it.

I hate the 40 Year Old Virgin as well. That Apatow era of comedy mostly stunk. Steve Carrell isn’t funny. Seth Rogen even less so. That ugly broad they had Carrell dating in it was useless and added nothing. It’s just devoid of memorable laughs. No idea why it’s still praised.

I hate Superbad also. Seth Rogen and Fatty Goldstein or whatever his name is aren’t funny. Michael Cera is atrocious with his “gee whiz” antics in everything he does. Fuck that whole cast.

Might be blasphemy to some but I really hated An American Werewolf in London as well. It started off really well but just devolved into a total mess of who cares scenes. The end couldn’t be more abrupt and stupid. David Naughton is not a compelling actor, especially as a lead.

I know Mel is a deity in these parts, but I hate Braveheart also. It’s a mishmash of bullshit. The love story was unnecessary and overwrought. The historical accuracy was almost non-existent. It’s too long. Could have cut a ton of ancillary stuff out and made it less if a quagmire. As an aside it’s also funny to me that in period pieces, the hairstyles always give away the era in which it was made. Mel looking like a late 80s to early 90s rocker with his shitty bedraggled hair with leaves in it. Ridiculous movie.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a boring pile of shit with the quintessential annoying as shit Spielberg child actors. He doesn’t know how to cast child actors who aren’t annoying. If a kid has a prominent role in one of his movies, there’s a 90% chance I hate the movie. This movie gets a lot of praise and I get it as a slow burn in the context of it’s era, but it just annoys me.

Rocky Horror Picture Show. I can tolerate a musical but this pile of shit is just wall to wall loud, obnoxious music. There is almost no time to breath before they jump into another long musical sequence. Tim Curry does a good job as he always does but everyone else in it is forgettable and the music is largely unmemorable noise.

I went overboard with my movie hate here but I stand by it. Some movies really make me fawkin’ brood.
I'm surprised at how many of these I agree with. The only two I differ on are Rocky Horror because I've never seen it, and Superbad which I genuinely like. Jonah Hill teasing Dave Franco about pissing his pants in 5th grade and yelling "People don't forget!" as he runs away is so funny to me for some reason. I think I like it because it came out when I was in high school and parts of it really hit home (fag, I know).

The majority of comedies don't hold up. Maybe it's because I'm from a different generation or something, but Wayne's World and Caddyshack made me laugh once between the two of them. And that's at the product placement gag in WW. Austin Powers doesn't do it for me anymore either. Nothing Apatow-adjacent is funny outside of Superbad and Walk Hard. I doubt any Sandler movies hold up, and I never liked Jim Carey in the first place. The Jerk still laugh pretty good, though.

EraGodless

Jesus, I could write a essay about how most movies people like suck balls. film is such a over rated form of art when you think about it.

I don't think for the rest of my life i'll ever sit through anything Star Wars again, old or new. How Disney fuck that up is beyond me.

I like the 1st two movies, but the whole franchise foes to shit after they leave Jubba the Hutt in the 1st act of the 3rd movie.

the 2nd one "Empire" is odd too, it's a fucking sci fi space movie and I think like 85% of the film the actors are in a ship, or that cloud city and it makes it feel like a closed in feeling.
bully-boo.gif

EraGodless

I'm surprised at how many of these I agree with. The only two I differ on are Rocky Horror because I've never seen it, and Superbad which I genuinely like. Jonah Hill teasing Dave Franco about pissing his pants in 5th grade and yelling "People don't forget!" as he runs away is so funny to me for some reason. I think I like it because it came out when I was in high school and parts of it really hit home (fag, I know).

The majority of comedies don't hold up. Maybe it's because I'm from a different generation or something, but Wayne's World and Caddyshack made me laugh once between the two of them. And that's at the product placement gag in WW. Austin Powers doesn't do it for me anymore either. Nothing Apatow-adjacent is funny outside of Superbad and Walk Hard. I doubt any Sandler movies hold up, and I never liked Jim Carey in the first place. The Jerk still laugh pretty good, though.
If you legitimately only laughed twice between Wayne's World and Caddyshack, you're either autistic as fuck or a woman.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️

No Sandler movies hold up? Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are fucking hilarious. Jack and Jill is the worst movie I ever saw. 50 First Dates is pretty good, I put that in the same category as I do with Click.

G

No Sandler movies hold up? Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are fucking hilarious. Jack and Jill is the worst movie I ever saw. 50 First Dates is pretty good, I put that in the same category as I do with Click.
That's why I said I doubt it for Sandler, not definitely. It's been forever since I saw any of them, so I can't be sure. I could see Happy Gilmore still working.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
That's why I said I doubt it for Sandler, not definitely. It's been forever since I saw any of them, so I can't be sure. I could see Happy Gilmore still working.
I actually didn’t catch the nuance of your statement. I just perceive something the way I want to and sperg out. Maybe I am autistic. I just consider Sandler a hacky person to hate on. He’s done a lot of funny things. Big Daddy was pretty funny too. His company produced Grandma’s Boy which I genuinely consider the funniest movie of all time, genuinely.

G

I actually didn’t catch the nuance of your statement. I just perceive something the way I want to and sperg out. Maybe I am autistic. I just consider Sandler a hacky person to hate on. He’s done a lot of funny things. Big Daddy was pretty funny too. His company produced Grandma’s Boy which I genuinely consider the funniest movie of all time, genuinely.
I agree that hating him is hacky at this point. He's made me laugh enough that I don't have any ill will towards him. Grandma's Boy rules and holds up better than any dumb stoner comedy should.

Brooke Shields

Patrick Tomlinson hates me because I am a woman
rewatched Rush Hour recently

The entire movie is about Chris Tucker fucking up and getting many people killed, everybody knows it, and then after a retarded who-gives-a-fuck-i-have-plot-armor move at the very end - everything works out and he's offered a job at the FBI