• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Was David Foster Wallace just a high IQ Patrick?

Heyfellas

Where we at with the where we at?
Forum Clout
Do you feel like arguing why Infinite Jest is worth the time it takes to read? I get it if you don't want to do it. There always might be eye-rolling faggots around on the internet.
Read “A supposedly fun thing I’ll never do again.” For my money, DFW’s nonfiction is way more approachable than infinite jest.

IJ is good, it’s just not where you start. “Consider the lobster” is really good too.

ETA: I’m a DFW fag.

I forget which book “e unibus pluram” is but that essay is really really good.

TorquieTwoBeers

Forum Clout
ETA: I’m a DFW fag.
Same here. I generally try to avoid anything written about him, both good or bad, because he's one of those people where the fans and the haters are equally obnoxious and dumb.

I love his writing and I've read everything he's ever put out, but reading things that praise him or things that rip him annoys me in equal measure.

To bring it back to this place, I do know for a fact that Norm Macdonald did not like DFW. In like 2010 or so, Norm had a "book club" on Twitter and people would pepper him with questions about literary works or authors. He would always give a negative opinion about DFW, generally chiding him for being too satirical. As an aside, Norm was very, very well read and it was rare that he ever hadn't read at least something by an author, no matter how obscure. Just another way that he was better than Pat.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
He tries way too hard
He pushed himself, like, crazy hard at being this critically acclaimed postmodern author -- beneath his aw-shucks lawnmower mechanic vibe there was a guy who got off on flaunting his smarts -- and I think he succeeded. It's hard to deny that he knows knew tons about words and grammar and writing (insofar as I know those things). Plus, I like when writers fuck with structure and language in stories* from time to time (i.e., House of Leaves, ), so he's up my alley. But I also read Cuntfucker posts, so take that for what it's worth.

Harry Powell

Bruce is more helpful to Defendants than Plaintiff
Forum Clout
I can't argue it's worth the time. The story is weird (tennis kids in a private school, overcoming addiction, Canadian separatism) and there are tons of moments that are slogs (not to mention the fucking endnotes), but I enjoyed it. It's very funny but at times feels like it's intentionally hard to grasp.

Wouldn't say it's in my top 20 favorite novels, but sometimes I'll pick it up and read a random passage. I don't do that with many other books.

Give some of his essays a chance, especially the county fair and cruise ship ones.

I’ve never been able to make an honest attempt at IJ (I will one day) but this nigga one of the best essayists of all time

CuntFucker .

Block and report the imposter
Forum Clout
beneath his aw-shucks lawnmower mechanic vibe there was a guy who got off on flaunting his smarts
That's very bothersome too. His mathematical pretensions are embarrassing. He was a humanities guy who used shallow math for self-presentation. And he didn't seem to give a fuck about the actual thing. There were even errors in high school-level math in Infinite Jest. (I admittedly only read half of that novel.) I still won't deny that he was a very smart guy and easily my better by far in that regard. I still see him as a fraud. Not just when it comes to math. I enjoyed The Pale King. But I read it sort of negatively. As lessons from a spiritual failure. The guy's writing was always openly concerned with authenticity and sincerity. And he conned - in my opinion - people into believing him to be authentic and sincere and kind and generous. The guy was full of shit... He also stole a joke from Lost Highway in Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. I noticed other instances of joke thievery but that one stuck with me. And, maybe less importantly, it's said that he used to stalk and beat up a woman. Nice male feminism, you dead faggot... He was a talented writer and I get that you enjoy his style. But his writing seems deeply inauthentic to me.
And fuck the footnotes. Might have been a charming novelty 20 years ago. It just puts a burden on the reader for the appearance of smartness. Quirky fuck shit... I guess overall I'm glad that he's dead.