• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

The Sopranos (Full Series)

EraGodless

Forum Clout
I guess this place is as good as any for my confession, so here goes. I started watching the show yesterday, I've never watched a single episode before. I know the basics through clips and memes. I'm only a couple episodes in, and I can't believe nobody told me that it's the best parody ever. This is amazing, might be the funniest show I've ever seen.
At some point, the tone shifts (around season 4). 9/11 and a few other things happening completely changed the trajectory of the show.

And it's even funnier on rewatches.

G

The cultural context as the show was on is evident in the series. Pre 9/11 the show is borderline campy at times with a lot of fun episodes. Post 9/11 the series gets darker and darker in tone and coloration. I’m sure it would have got darker anyway with the way Tony’s life was going but it’s always been kind of nostalgic for me to watch the first three seasons before the death spiral of post 9/11 media.
S1 is definitely pure camp with Chase and HBO disagreeing over the overall tone. The DVD box cover says it all with Carmella throwing her hands up in mock frustration.

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
while I enjoy a good Mafia story I don't feel the same draw to them as some people.

Believe you me, certain Italians don't get that the show is poking fun at their macho "family is everything, respect is earned" attitudes and think it glamorizes unhappy criminals hanging out in the back room of a strip club. The fact you already see it as the comedy it is makes me think you'll have a very pleasant first watch of the series.

Just you wait until you get to the character that sounds EXACTLY like Boomia. Just you wait.

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
Every gangster in the series is an evil scumbag sociopath. Bobby and mayyyyyyybe Johnny Sack are the only ones you can argue are "good" people.