• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

The Founder is one of the defining movies about America

Forum Clout
D76380C6-CD12-49CA-8918-7F2F56268184.jpeg

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
Fair enough. I was kind of saying it tongue-in-cheek and had had a few cocktails

Honestly it's probably closer to all of Europe. US has 328 million people, Europe has 447 million.

Countries/States that are close tend to be similar: Finland/Sweden, Washington/Oregon, Spain/Portugal, Mississippi/Alabama. But Oregon and Mississippi are about as culturally different as Sweden and Portugal, it's just we all speak English and there's probably a Starbucks you can drive to in 10 minutes.

Jenna

Forum Clout
This game is kinda fun, figuring out what State corresponds to European countries.

New York is England - one impressive city makes them think they're the top dog. California would be Spain because good weather and HIspanics. Germany is Texas because they're historically problematic. Florida is Italy because they're both shaped like penises and that's where the crazy people live. Scandinavia is Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Jenna

Forum Clout
If England is New York that means Ireland has to be New Jersey. Which means Portugal has to be Arizona. Netherlands has kind of an Oregon vibe, let's go with that. Russia is Canada. France is a tough one, maybe Massachusetts? There's like a French vibe to Louisiana but Louisiana isn't a big name state. Illinois is another tough one, is there any European country that's basically one HUGE city and then nobody cares about anything else?

not that Jack Horner

If you saw me IRL you very likely wouldn't look me
Forum Clout
As a relative outsider, I have a better grasp of this. More objectivity.

Citizen Kane, The Searchers, The Godfather, Badlands, Unforgiven, There Will Be Blood, The Founder.

What are some of them other American movies that speak uniquely to the American experience/story?

as an outsider i can objectively tell you what movies represent britain

a muppets christmas, and Bridgette jones diary

if you are from another shitty country let me know so i can marginalize your opinion properly

G

as an outsider i can objectively tell you what movies represent britain

a muppets christmas, and Bridgette jones diary

if you are from another shitty country let me know so i can marginalize your opinion properly
Bridget Jones's Diary actually captures that time, place and social class quite accurately.

Jenna

Forum Clout
Do Canada

Nothing feels authentically Canadian because we already have whatever you have here. Orphan Black could take place in Chicago, Letterkenny could take place in Nebraska, Trailer Park Boys could take place in anywhere south of Pennsylvania.

Quebec is the only interesting province and there's no authentic Quebec movie.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
Nothing feels authentically Canadian because we already have whatever you have here. Orphan Black could take place in Chicago, Letterkenny could take place in Nebraska, Trailer Park Boys could take place in anywhere south of Pennsylvania.

Quebec is the only interesting province and there's no authentic Quebec movie.
Quebec is fucking gay.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
You guys hate Quebec like Bam hates other pretty women. They're different and exotic with the whole French thing so outsiders find them interesting while Manitoba cries in the bathroom wondering why the boys don't give her attention.
I've never been to Manitoba so it can fuck off too. And French Canadians aren't exotic, they just speak a gay language and you can't turn right on a red light there.

Jenna

Forum Clout
What do you mean "other?"

Bam's entire personality is centered around being just pretty enough to qualify for "pretty". She can attract the guy but eventually the "crazy/hot" scale comes into play and guys don't want to handle her at her worst. But hey some old lonely white guy will pay her a couple hundred dollars to "hang out".

I've never been to Manitoba so it can fuck off too. And French Canadians aren't exotic, they just speak a gay language and you can't turn right on a red light there.

It feels like Wakanda. How come there's only one famous French-Canadian, Celine Dion? I could name 50 famous celebrities from Canada but ask for another from Quebec and I got hockey players and Maryse.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
Bam's entire personality is centered around being just pretty enough to qualify for "pretty". She can attract the guy but eventually the "crazy/hot" scale comes into play and guys don't want to handle her at her worst. But hey some old lonely white guy will pay her a couple hundred dollars to "hang out".

It feels like Wakanda. How come there's only one famous French-Canadian, Celine Dion? I could name 50 famous celebrities from Canada but ask for another from Quebec and I got hockey players and Maryse.
I've never thought about that before. I really can't think of another one.