• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

So I think I'm about to watch Akira...

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
I'm not an anime fan. I don't hide that. I've come around to Miyazaki's films, because there's a simple sweetness to them - I blame the neighbours kids for this - but anything else makes me want to choke on haggis.

But it's late, the woman is in bed, it's too late for any more rehearsing, and I am far from tired. I can't think of anything to watch and what do I see but Akira as a viable option.

Am I going to kill myself halfway through or is this actually going to be good?

bombvest

Forum Clout
even 'good' anime is still only at the early adolescent level. when you're just starting to pick up on deeper subtext and what not. try to put yourself in a middle school shooter's frame of mind and you'll get something out of it. maybe. I guess. impotent rage, dystopian power fantasies. whatever.

LiberalPussy

Forum Clout
even 'good' anime is still only at the early adolescent level. when you're just starting to pick up on deeper subtext and what not. try to put yourself in a middle school shooter's frame of mind and you'll get something out of it. maybe. I guess. impotent rage, dystopian power fantasies. whatever.
“Power fantasies”? This shit is faggot feminist speak. The only power fantasies that are shit are the ones involving niggers and women.

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
Forum Clout
Akira is the 2001 of anime: kind of up its own ass and overrated by those who hold it dear, but it's a masterfully crafted piece. I think it holds up. You'll definitely appreciate the craft that went into the backgrounds and cels. The story is easy to follow once you can tell Kaneda and Tetsuo apart. Ninja Scroll is another classic OVA, but it's a lot more slam-bam, not as thinky as Akira.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
Alright, so... Yes I watched it.

I'm not sure if I have much of an opinion here. Self-flagellating? Trying too hard to be epic? Interesting yes, visually it was very fluid and imaginative. I think it was the good dub (if such things exist), so the acting wasn't terrible, but it felt like they were tossing off to the 'message'. But all being said... Yeah, it's ok.

I think I'm going to turn on "What's Opera Doc?" and try to fall asleep again.