• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Pat just received his semi-annual royalty check

FurBurger

What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Forum Clout
I believe his Angry Robot books have earned out, because his advances were only something like $4k each.

To quote Charles Stross, a sci fi author who's had maybe fifteen books published by Tor:
Royalties on mass market paperback editions are set at 8% on the first 150,000 copies of each book, and 10% thereafter, or 5% on copies sold at a discount of more than 55% off SRP.

I can't find any books by Patrick S. Tomilson on Amazon, but looking at similar authors I'd say his books go for maybe $7 new. Assuming 200 books sold - which seems waaay high - Pat might be looking at as much as $112 in royalties.... which he'll need to hand over to Quasi in short order.

EDIT: Here's Pat lying about royalties. I think he's counting his margin on selling the books in with his royalties.

BudDickman

Forum Clout
At best he makes 10%. So 999 books at $10 each to be ultra generous and he's made less than $1000 . . . which would be true if he paid off his entire advance. Which he hasn't, so he's not making jack shit actually.
I fucked up the math, but yeah, he would have made between $1k and $10k even if this is true. Over a 6-month period. Even if true, that is pathetic.

NoBacon

An honourable man.
Forum Clout
Even if he was selling a lot of books and even if he was making a lot of money, it’s such a low class ghetto move to brag about it. What a fat dickhead.

I mean obviously he’s not selling anything and would have made 10x as much working at target the last 5 years, but still.

FurBurger

What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Forum Clout
I just found some author who looks like Janice Soprano if she was transgender, who writes:
When I do the math on, say, a $20-25k advance (and yes, some now come with like 1% royalties or something, which on a bestseller is great, but is fraction of a real royalty rate), I subtract the 15% for agent, the 20% for taxes, and come up w/$13,000 for 4-6 months of work.
She(?) has done a bunch of writing for Star Wars, Marvel etc.; and has one of her own books at Amazon rank #84,297 (as opposed to In The Black's #1,313,323). She's published by Angry Robot, so if she's not making any money writing books - what hope has Pat?

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Forum Clout
1544185819841_3545.gif