• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Opie is streaming to tens of people after being on one of the biggest radio shows ever

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
Pat Benatar
Cameron Diaz
Gene Hackman

But In fairness to these people, they walked away from the spotlight. All three of them chose to retire and were A-listers. They weren't D-list radio celebrities who got fired for spying on the doo-doo and getting beat up by a female chimp.
Dat Phan
Demetri Martin

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
He was the leader of the Italians in Fargo season 4. Half the plot revolves around him. He's also on all those faggy Wes Anderson movies.

He's not in an obscurity he just does artsy gay shit that nobody watches. That is Jason Schwartzman, right?

He's one of those choosy actors, is all. Takes avant garde shit for the resume, then every once in a while takes a mainstream picture that's still borderline niche (Scott Pilgrim) to keep his indie credibility.

He's pretty good though, I can't hate on him. He's not like Leto at least.

G

He's one of those choosy actors, is all. Takes avant garde shit for the resume, then every once in a while takes a mainstream picture that's still borderline niche (Scott Pilgrim) to keep his indie credibility.

He's pretty good though, I can't hate on him. He's not like Leto at least.
I disagree. He may have been in some bad movies, but at least Leto isn't one of Wes Anderson's fuck bois.

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
I disagree. He may have been in some bad movies, but at least Leto isn't one of Wes Anderson's fuck bois.

Ok, about that. I have a theory.

You say he's an Anderson Fuck boi, and you may be right. But, Orson Welles had The Mercury Theater group that he used with every early film (including Joseph Cotton, who he respectfully let out if his contract to go work under David O. Selznick, which made him an even BIGGER star), John Huston had Bogart, John Ford had John Wayne, Roger Corman had his longtime crew...

I'm just saying I kinda get it. You're a director with a vision and a ton of pressure, you want reliability and you use what you know. I will say it's different now than it was then, as now it almost seems... Insidious somehow? Like cultish? And I don't get that vibe with the older crews.

G

Ok, about that. I have a theory.

You say he's an Anderson Fuck boi, and you may be right. But, Orson Welles had The Mercury Theater group that he used with every early film (including Joseph Cotton, who he respectfully let out if his contract to go work under David O. Selznick, which made him an even BIGGER star), John Huston had Bogart, John Ford had John Wayne, Roger Corman had his longtime crew...

I'm just saying I kinda get it. You're a director with a vision and a ton of pressure, you want reliability and you use what you know. I will say it's different now than it was then, as now it almost seems... Insidious somehow? Like cultish? And I don't get that vibe with the older crews.
No I mean for me it's just I have no respect for directors that won't take chances. And when they use the same people over and over and over again in movies it just gets annoying. Back in the day it was different because directors and actors were signed exclusively to particular studios. Like Hepburn was in her heyday when she was signed to Paramount. But it's dumb now that directors have unlimited access but use the same people.

We get it, Tim Burton. You're gay for Johnny Depp.
We get it, Quentin Tarantino. You're gay for Sam Jackson.
We get it, Martin Scorsese. You're gay for Robert De Niro.
We get it, Coen Brothers. You're gay for Frances McDormand.
We get it, Judd Apatow. You're gay for a bunch of untalented, unfunny people that shouldn't be famous.

...and so forth.

UnPRePared

Forum Clout
No I mean for me it's just I have no respect for directors that won't take chances. And when they use the same people over and over and over again in movies it just gets annoying. Back in the day it was different because directors and actors were signed exclusively to particular studios. Like Hepburn was in her heyday when she was signed to Paramount. But it's dumb now that directors have unlimited access but use the same people.

We get it, Tim Burton. You're gay for Johnny Depp.
We get it, Quentin Tarantino. You're gay for Sam Jackson.
We get it, Martin Scorsese. You're gay for Robert De Niro.
We get it, Coen Brothers. You're gay for Frances McDormand.
We get it, Judd Apatow. You're gay for a bunch of untalented, unfunny people that shouldn't be famous.

...and so forth.

Theory about that too. I think, for the modern directors, it's a throwback to the Golden Age idea of "contract players".

That's not to say the idea isn't limiting - since the 70's, there's directors that rarely reused the same stars, except for supporting players (which I argue actually makes more sense than reusing the same star actors).

Difference is (and I know this applied back then to Huston/Bogart and Ford/Wayne), nowadays it's just about working with friends, and when you're not celluloid god's like the stars of old - Johnny Depp couldn't even lick Clark Gable's taint - the limits become more obvious. Burton and Depp are the prime example, as I think neither challenge each other to be better after Ed Wood. Apatow uses his weed buddies. PTA has his circle. Scorsese gets his hard on for a guy and uses him for a decade. Even Nolan is guilty of using Cillian Murphy like a good luck charm.

I'm not sure where I was going with that, except that you're right about it making more sense in the early days. Now it's just lazy.