• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Mel's Comeback Continues

Cuphead

Formerly know as Fat Abbot
Forum Clout
Glad to see Mel back in stuff again, but I really hope he isn't going to take the Bruce Willis route and just start doing these cheap straight-to-DVD movies for money regardless of the script and quality. Only difference is that Mel doesn't sham in his performances no matter how bad the movie is. Force of Nature was fucking terrible, but Mel was still awesome in it.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
Not really. It was around the early days of Wenger. I didn't jump in with two feet and only took part in a couple of scraps at home games with spurs and Chelsea. There were a couple of guys in their 40s who were some of the "higher ups." This one guy Liam had a wife and kids and was some kind of salesman. Drove a nice car, always had rolls of cash on him. I remember he came to the pub one time after being locked up for a month for bashing someone up and laughing about how he lost his job. It was the moment I really realised what a bunch of utter losers they all were. I was 17. Stopped going to the football around the same time.
How does the shit actually go down? I get that it's the UK so you're not expecting someone to pull out a pistol, but how do people have massive fights without someone pulling out a knife?

I'm an American so I'm not used to living in a high-trust society, but from what I've read about British crime recently, I wouldn't be willing to step into a brawl expecting everyone to dutifully obey whatever the Queensbury Rules of "the Firm" are

I'm assuming everything is shittier and more dangerous now than it was circa 2002.

G

How does the shit actually go down? I get that it's the UK so you're not expecting someone to pull out a pistol, but how do people have massive fights without someone pulling out a knife?

I'm an American so I'm not used to living in a high-trust society, but from what I've read about British crime recently, I wouldn't be willing to step into a brawl expecting everyone to dutifully obey whatever the Queensbury Rules of "the Firm" are

I'm assuming everything is shittier and more dangerous now than it was circa 2002.
I guess you can't really be sure. Like I said I never got heavily involved but I believe some firms would have "meets" with others and it was agreed on beforehand if it would be with or without "tools." The thing that's hard to get your head around is that having a straightforward punch up is considered good fun for a lot of these dickheads. They don't want to kill each other. They just want to beat someone up. I suspect quite a lot of them want to get beaten up as well. It's a weird world.

RobertMewler

Forum Clout
He is cranking out movies due to the divorces and child payments. If you listened to the infamous Mel Gibson Tapes Saga on O&A you will know that Mel had quite the expensive lifestyle.
That must be why because my first reaction to the trailer was, 'Oh nooooo. He can't need the money.' The movie looks awful (those supporting actors all stink) and I'm going to pass but it doesn't mean I don't still love him.

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer were flawless, good call. Michael McKean very good but you can occasionally hear him slip.
Weirdly when I hear English accents alongside American ones they sound fake even if the person is English. Maybe because most actors are posh types perhaps.

G

Maybe because most actors are posh types perhaps.
Except a lot of the ones who get success in America. For every Hugh Grant you get Jason Statham, Gary Oldman etc. Even a lot of the ones you'd think are "posh" are from humbler backgrounds but got the RP accent from drama school. The odd one out there is Christian Bale, who's from an upper middle class background but decided at some point to go mockney in every interview.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Geek Squad Technician
Forum Clout
The sons of anarchy guy is a horrible actor and this looks formulaic as hell but I'll probably see it. First impressions?

Why not just go with an aussie accent? At least he can pull that one off. Mel's English accent blows

G

Looks like it might be so bad it'll be good.

If you want to see His Holiness in a more serious role I'd recommend The Professor and the Madman, where he pairs off against Sean Penn. I'd love to hear how those two interacted behind the scene.
What a great fucking movie!