Jim & Sam (Plus Rest of SiriusXM) Lose 94K Satellite Radio Subscribers

Heres why I think SXM still exists:

Early on in it’s existence it’s focus was on ad free music. Uncensored talk existed but it wasn’t pulling big advertisers. It’s main revenue source was subscribers.

They quickly realized that wasn’t profitable. It’s hard to justify charging people for audio when the radio or shit on your phone is free. So knowing their subscriber base is going to continue to dwindle they pivot to advertisers being their main revenue source

Since they can’t get rid of their main selling point, ad free music, they have to hire a bunch of wholesome celebrities everyone knows. This makes the advertisers come because these are big names with (what they presume are) large audiences. This means they not only have more advertisers but can charge more for spots.

And I wouldn’t doubt that their advertiser increase has brought in more revenue for them than any jump in subscribers. Now its just about walking a fine line to make sure people don’t unsub too much and scare off the advertisers.

Theres a difference between a promotional subscriber and a paid promotional subscriber. A promotional subscriber is one of those “Get your first month off free!” things where it truly is no cost to the consumer. The second, and what you are referencing, is a “free subscription”…only because the car company you’re buying from paid for the subscription for you.

1. Even if there are more promotional subscribers than paid, this inflated number can be used to draw advertisers in and have them pay more for spots on perceived listeners
2. The Compound Media trick where you don’t let your subs cancel. SXM just got hit with a huge lawsuit by the NYAG for this exact practice.
Could you imagine actually needing to launder money SiriusXM and modern Art is a huge scam , did you know Eminem and Oprah do like one show a year mabey if they feel like it 😍

Sue Lightning

Balconyster
How? Spotify is global, Sirius is USA and Canada
Spotify doesn’t pull the same amount of ad revenue and doesn’t charge nearly as much for subscriptions. Hell you don’t even need a subscription to use Spotify.

Also the royalties for streaming services are much more costly. Even though the amount per stream is so low, multiply that by every song and artist on the entirety of Spotify. Now consider every user who uses Spotify for free is basically draining money from the company, forcing them to pay royalties at literally no cost to the consumer.

Then consider Spotify is offering the exact same ridiculous 9 figure deals to host Podcasts that don’t pull in as much advertisers as the ones on SXM do.

Josef Kuminski

кормить бабушку
Spotify doesn’t pull the same amount of ad revenue and doesn’t charge nearly as much for subscriptions. Hell you don’t even need a subscription to use Spotify.

Also the royalties for streaming services are much more costly. Even though the amount per stream is so low, multiply that by every song and artist on the entirety of Spotify. Now consider every user who uses Spotify for free is basically draining money from the company, forcing them to pay royalties at literally no cost to the consumer.

Then consider Spotify is offering the exact same ridiculous 9 figure deals to host Podcasts that don’t pull in as much advertisers as the ones on SXM do.
The only incentive to subscribe to SXM is living in rube country where cell service might be shitty. Their content is stale and their model is outdated. They threw 150 million at Conan post prime. More multi-million dollar deal to Your Moms house and no real view of future, post Stern. They are legit 5-10 years behind the curve.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
Could you imagine actually needing to launder money SiriusXM and modern Art is a huge scam , did you know Eminem and Oprah do like one show a year mabey if they feel like it 😍
I think it’s more that they just have channels named after them. I wonder what they’re going to do with Kevin Hart.

Queefer Sutherland

Fix me, Josh!
For those who said money laundering, you're on the right track. Liberty Media owns SXM and Ticketmaster/Live Nation. They also sought a majority stake in iHeartMedia (formerly Clear Channel), the largest terrestrial radio company, but eventually sold everything off...

SpitballSparky

"Can we come over & discuss your daughter's tits?"
I finally dropped my sub at the beginning of the year after being a subscriber since the early XM days.

It had gotten absurdly expensive and there's just far better/cheaper options for podcasts and music now.

Genuinely impressive that you made it around 20 years.

Did you have to do that fucking asinine "cancellation dance" where you have to have a four-hour phone call with a Filipino in order to drop the service? I've heard horror stories about how they make it so damn hard to get rid of the thing since they know that if they made it easy to opt out, a lot more people would head for the fucking doors...

G

Jim is married to a man
Do you think Jim's wife (this part of the sentence illustrates that I will be talking about Jim's wife)

Already got a severance (severance is a synonym for something being cut off)

On his package (the pronoun "he" is establishing that Jim Norton's wife is really a man and the word package can be a double entender for a penis)

Instead of saying LOL do you think Jim's husband got his pee pee cut off, I chose to go the more subtle route and bring up the severance package that the previous user had posted to make my joke.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
I’d love to know how much they wasted on building Stern his own private entrance only to have him barely leave his house for the past 4 years. I really think he’s only been in the studio maybe 3 times since Covid started and that was because he had a big guest who refused to get up early and go into the studio only to talk to him through a computer screen.

Bruce Springsteen is a douche but it was funny after so many tries to get him on the show over the years he finally agrees but only if Stern comes in. Also - after all that he promoted a dopey covers album that everyone quickly forgot. I’m guessing that was a bad week for the wig man.

Did you have to do that fucking asinine "cancellation dance" where you have to have a four-hour phone call with a Filipino in order to drop the service? I've heard horror stories about how they make it so damn hard to get rid of the thing since they know that if they made it easy to opt out, a lot more people would head for the fucking doors...
It can't be as bad as trying to unsubscribe from compound media though.

I kept it for the live news and sports programming for when I'm driving out of cell internet range, but the costs just got ridiculous

They surprisingly didn't give me any trouble cancelling- other than having to call and sit on hold with the operator.