I love cheese dick 90s disaster movies.

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Unlimited re-watchability, way better than any capeshit put out today.

sub-buzz-25642-1530208676-1.jpg

Deep-Impact-Featured.jpg

gettyimages-51096997-e1499178987833.jpg

Uncle Floyd

“Too many goddamn scuddleheads.”
I forgot the great Robert Duvall was in Deep Impact. Might have to give that one another viewing. I can watch that man fold laundry he’s so damn good. In fact I would rather watch him play a laundry attendant than a spaceman who “pew pew” saves the world from a meteor. What am I five?
But could you watch him pick blueberries?

stealthygeek

Reminder: Vincent D'Onofrio blocked Patrick
I was actually thinking about Twister the other day in one of those "wow, I'm old" moments. When I was a kid that was such a massive movie but I doubt anyone under 25 has even heard of it. John C. Reilly is the only actor in that movie that's still culturally relevant at this point.

Trivia: Bill Paxton's cunty wife in this movie is now a part owner of the Atlanta Hawks.

analeggsalad

the Gentleman's sissy hypno
Movies are done, brotherman. In the era before they died VHS, Cable TV, magazines and radio were the rate limit on media consumption. The attention span was formed by that.

It's too fast now. It's not that people are genetically suddenly ADHD. It's that the rate limit on access/choice/consumption went from a steady, decades long 25 to 400 MPH. Movies as we know of them were born of and can only exist in that smooth 25 zone. The format and its ability impact the broader culture is a relic. It can't be reproduced. New movies are cringe not just because of woke ideology or ticket sale calculation pandering, but because they present themselves as having the capacity to influence as the format used to. They can't, it's a legacy format.

You're looking at something that can only exist in that media context, limited by technology of its time. The 90s were the last decade in that smooth 25mph zone. It's done brah, it's over, we can't go back. But it's def nice to pretend now and then. Personally, I don't watch any movie made after say about 2009

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
I might be wearing rose tinted glasses, but I think at this point I would take the cheesy cape shit of the 90's over the current "too serious but too quippy" cape shit anyday.

Schinkle bout it: Billy Zane in "The Phantom". Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow". Val Kilmer in"Batman Forever". Warren Beatty's "Dick Tracy". Joe Johnston's "The Rocketeer". The unreleased Corman-produced "Fantastic Four". Christ, Shaq in "Steel". They're fucking awful! But they had something the current films don't have: character. In a manufactured system of being fed the same horseshit with each movie by Marvel, even a film from the 90's that failed is still a far better watch because of their individuality. It was a group of people making a film with no established guidelines, going by a directors and stars vision - "The Shadow" especially, which I admit I'm fond of.

I dunno. Simpler time, I guess.

Riccardo Bosi

welcomes our new overlords
It's too fast now. It's not that people are genetically suddenly ADHD. It's that the rate limit on access/choice/consumption went from a steady, decades long 25 to 400 MPH. Movies as we know of them were born of and can only exist in that smooth 25 zone. The format and its ability impact the broader culture is a relic. It can't be reproduced. New movies are cringe not just because of woke ideology or ticket sale calculation pandering, but because they present themselves as having the capacity to influence as the format used to. They can't, it's a legacy format.
You're onto something here.

As a kid (or as an adult, but I'm a child of the 90s), you'd go into a video rental (Blockbuster or any alternative you remember) and spend a good 30 mins delicately picking out films you wanted to watch. And then you'd watch those movies with NO DISTRACTIONS. No phone, no laptop. You sat there and watched the thing; even if you're chatting to someone, eating pizza, whatever: the focus was the movie.

Schinkle bout it: Billy Zane in "The Phantom". Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow". Val Kilmer in"Batman Forever". Warren Beatty's "Dick Tracy". Joe Johnston's "The Rocketeer". The unreleased Corman-produced "Fantastic Four". Christ, Shaq in "Steel". They're fucking awful! But they had something the current films don't have: character.
You ever watch The Crow? It's a total piece of shit (although the cinematography hold up, I guess) but it holds up because it's a mainstream, "hey, this is a goth superhero movie". It's in its own weird category. Its flaws don't matter because there's not countless ripoffs of it. It's not like that lame Spiderman movie with Venom in it or whatever.

I haven't seen Dick Tracy in forever, but at least that was "hey here's a weird niche thing that some people might be into, but we need mainstream appeal so Madonna's in it". I don't even remember if it was good, but it had an appeal in itself.

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Yo, I'll give you that 90s movies were better than the shit we've got now, but all three of those movies stink
I disagree. Many of the “great” 90s movies that everyone constantly bring up are horrible. Totally depends on the genre. True Romance and the Usual Suspects are horrible movies for example that are universally talked about as great movies from the 90s.

Watch some cape shit Marvel movie from today, they’re all the same, and they aren’t comparable to the disaster movies of the 90s.

Snake

I might be wearing rose tinted glasses, but I think at this point I would take the cheesy cape shit of the 90's over the current "too serious but too quippy" cape shit anyday.

Schinkle bout it: Billy Zane in "The Phantom". Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow". Val Kilmer in"Batman Forever". Warren Beatty's "Dick Tracy". Joe Johnston's "The Rocketeer". The unreleased Corman-produced "Fantastic Four". Christ, Shaq in "Steel". They're fucking awful! But they had something the current films don't have: character. In a manufactured system of being fed the same horseshit with each movie by Marvel, even a film from the 90's that failed is still a far better watch because of their individuality. It was a group of people making a film with no established guidelines, going by a directors and stars vision - "The Shadow" especially, which I admit I'm fond of.

I dunno. Simpler time, I guess.
It's probably due to them not being made by the same companies over and over like the current business model where it's the same shit smeared on the screen year after year.

And thankfully this capeshit hit the fucking wall as that dumb Black Widow film took a shit. Disney doesn't have the confidence to buy out entire theaters for a billion dollars like they did with rotten toenails Captain Marvel.

I didn't mind capeshit until it has to be a five film a year anxiety attack where you're fucking inundated with advertising.

I was constantly recommended to see (((Iron-Man))) and never bothered.

TheRevAlJolson

Blackface Killah
I disagree. Many of the “great” 90s movies that everyone constantly bring up are horrible. Totally depends on the genre. True Romance and the Usual Suspects are horrible movies for example that are universally talked about as great movies from the 90s.

Watch some cape shit Marvel movie from today, they’re all the same, and they aren’t comparable to the disaster movies of the 90s.
Those Marvel movies are horrible, but they look amazing. Most movies these day look great and they've got pacing down to a science (for the most part) but the stories all tend to lack causality and the characters are barely human.

JoeBrotheChildSpitGuzzler

I Am Racist Man Leader of the Digital Ku Klux Klan
I forgot the great Robert Duvall was in Deep Impact. Might have to give that one another viewing. I can watch that man fold laundry he’s so damn good. In fact I would rather watch him play a laundry attendant than a spaceman who “pew pew” saves the world from a meteor. What am I five?
Deep impact is basically armageddon, just more depressing. Not bad when I watched it recently. though I had not seen it since it came out, if at all. But yea robert duvall can play anyone and make it interesting. He even made you like a lawyer in Godfather.

90s actioners are great like that because they are just action, nothing to follow that's too complicated but suspenseful, funny quips and violence. I rewatch The Last Boyscout every so often for that reason. Honestly I treat that as sort of the prototype for the 90s action movies that came after