Does anyone use proper stereo anymore?

Is everything normalised across the channels now to allow for 'devices'?

I've got a big room & some quality classic speakers, etc. Old music sounds fucking awesome & was engineered/recorded to hear the position of the various instruments.

I was working on some DJing with Fatrick stuff (ye-ye-ye-ye-yes chiild... n'n'n'n'no chiild) & it sounded funny to completely pan the duelling Fatricks across left & right... then I realised it's probably worthless cus of modern devices.

Thoughts...

2Shirts1Egg2

Shoulda kept his mouth shut. LIKE A MUTE!!!
it sounded funny to completely pan the duelling Fatricks across left & right... then I realised it's probably worthless cus of modern devices.
nah it's not, think about how many people use earbuds/headphones, it's still used on that for movies and music. Panning on singular bluetooth speakers has been a thing for years.

edit (for posterity, mods are fags) am I being trolled here or has the concept and function of surround sound not been almost standard across home sound systems in 30 years? You hear someone on your left speaker if that's where the dialogue is coming from.

'THE NIGGER MAN'

Shane Noakes' rabbi raped his 9 year old dick off.
1713824633538.jpeg

RoxburyRick

Notice how manic Boq is
Agree I bought a Marantz preamp so I could do 13.2 which with a splitter on the sub I made 13.4. It's retarded.
That's pretty awesome. I had my old garage wired purdy good. 2 powered 10s and I basically mirrored 5.1 into 10.2 it had this weird concert Hall effect I liked. Now i pretty much just keep the living room setup nice. I'm in the process of switching over from Polk Audio components into nicer stuff

FranksWirecutters

Glow nigger. Got any of those IPs for me?
That's pretty awesome. I had my old garage wired purdy good. 2 powered 10s and I basically mirrored 5.1 into 10.2 it had this weird concert Hall effect I liked. Now i pretty much just keep the living room setup nice. I'm in the process of switching over from Polk Audio components into nicer stuff
Nice, you haven't lived until the neighbors have heard Johnny rebel at 130w per channel on 13 channels.

1073waaf

The ONLY station that REALLY ROCKS!
Hard panning things in music generally sounds weird. Well mixed music will have each instrument placed in its own section of the soundstage, but it’s usually never completely to either side. Try panning them like 10-20 percent.

TheRevAlJolson

Blackface Killah
I still use my reference monitor set up from my old studio days to listen to music. I've listened to so much garbage through them that nothing else holds up for me.

2Shirts1Egg2

Shoulda kept his mouth shut. LIKE A MUTE!!!
Hard panning things in music generally sounds weird. Well mixed music will have each instrument placed in its own section of the soundstage, but it’s usually never completely to either side. Try panning them like 10-20 percent.
Music producers hard pan things all the time. If you're recording or setting up a soundsystem for an orchestra or a band then yeah 10-20 makes sense because it won't blend together at a high level and thus sound all seperate and wonky. In the context of what he's talking about (making Patrick's voice going from L to R on a set of speakers) it's as common as creating a doppler effect on one sound (automating the pan from left to right with a tiny pitch drop in the middle) which you hear in electronic music a fair bit (edit, and in movies when the Polis go by). Lot's of house tunes will bounce a delay of a sound from left to right 100%.