• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Do Diners serve Beer?

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Forum Clout
I am asking this cause there are no diners where i live, and i was rewatching this opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Eddie is drinking beer. Just was very weird. Or are they just at a restaurant? What's the difference b/w a restaurant and diner?

1682031834426.png

These are important questions that need to be answered folks.

:fighter_md:

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
Yeah most diners I've been in haven't served alcohol, but I guess one could if they had their liquor license.

The major difference between diner/restaurant is most diners have the same things. Pancakes, cheeseburgers: stuff that isn't terribly difficult to make but still are American comfort foods.

Restaurants are generally more expensive and take themselves more seriously, usually with some sort of theme based on the chef and/or owner's background.

The thing is most diner establishments that would get a liquor license turn into Hooligans type deals, a bar that serves diner-esque food. While most fancy restaurants do serve alcohol but the focus is primarily on the food.

Jenna

The Mix 94.9 $3000 Fugitive
Forum Clout
Another way of looking at it is like this:

Restaurants serve alcohol, but if you get shitfaced at a restaurant you come across as a trash person. You can get a good buzz going with a few drinks, but if you're stumbling to the bathroom and apologizing to strangers, you get asked to leave.

Bar/Eateries like Hooligans, you're there to get drunk. Bottoms up.

Diner is where you go at 2am when you're shitfaced and want a goddamn bowl of onion rings. As long as you're not violent and destructive, you can sit there like a drunken mess and sober up a bit before you head home. Nobody judges you because they know what kind of customers they get that time of night.

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Forum Clout
Bar/Eateries like Hooligans, you're there to get drunk. Bottoms up.
Idk Maan, the bar I go to let's me plug in my laptop, I sit at the counter, not a separate table, and "write" my always work in progress manuscripts.
I chug large amounts of beer in between though.

Is that odd? I thought that was Bars were for.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
I lived across the street from one of the largest diners in NY when I went to school. They served alcohol and had a pretty strong crowd most nights grabbing dinner with beers. They would serve most Italian food with wine as well. I honestly cannot think of a diner or restaurant near me that does not serve alcohol. Even most of our takeout restaurants here allow you to take home alcohol and a few will even deliver.

Like during the holocough lockdowns I had a restaurant deliver my father a burger and two beers.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
I am asking this cause there are no diners where i live, and i was rewatching this opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where Eddie is drinking beer. Just was very weird. Or are they just at a restaurant? What's the difference b/w a restaurant and diner?

View attachment 112384

These are important questions that need to be answered folks.

:fighter_md:
I'm Greek and Greeks own diners, yes some diners have a liquor license. The difference between a diner and a restaurant is a diner has a counter and you can get breakfast anytime