• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Can you get out of jury duty by saying you hate niggers and native Americans?

SensibleKeks

Forum Clout
Out of curiosity I looked up if you could get in dutch for admitting to being a racist to a judge. Ran into this fella:

Does pretending to be a bigot (racist, etc.) work to get out of jury duty?

Would you like to know what happens when you say racist things to me on the record during voir dire which is done at side bar in PA when I practiced criminal law?

First, I make you document your long history of racist beliefs and I put your name and neighborhood on the record as well as where you work or go to school if I can.

When you walk away, the judge asks if there are any motions and I ask that you by juror number be dismissed like so “Your Honor, I move that juror 9 be stricken as a juror as he (or she) holds despicable racist views that have no place in the United States or any decent country in the world that believes in Justice and the right to a fair trial.” I get a “that's enough” look but you get stricken.

Third, I ask for a moment to speak with my client before the next prospective juror is brought up. I tell my client to watch if you smirk or laugh or act as though you pulled fast one and to signal me if that happens

Fourth, if I find out you did anything like the above paragraph I will make a motion to have you held in contempt and as punishment be forced to sit in the courtroom for the duration of trial.

On one occasion, I had a member of the jury pool who was wearing a rather offensive t-shirt while in a jury pool for my African-American client.

We had selected the jury and he had not been brought up but I asked the judge to call his juror number and said to the judge.

“Judge, I believe this potential juror wore this shirt to avoid jury service which is a crime in Pennsylvania, I suggest the Court find him in criminal contempt.”

The judge looked at the man who stupidly rolled his eyes and said “How do you want to plead?”

The judge made him sit through a two-day rape trial as punishment.

Look, the Courts are pretty cool about economic circumstances.

Faking stuff to get out of jury duty is just stupid.

Anyways he ended up getting suspended since 2017 for being a terrible lawyer to his clients. A just love happy endings.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
I did the question thing, but they didn't ask?
Just go to the damn thing and see if you get called.

Options

1. Ignore the summons and they'll send a summons for you to appear and possibly waste your time even more.

2. Show up. Chances of you even being selected aren't even high and if you do get selected just deal with it. If it's a murder case like I got, just let the judge know that you have family members who have been victims of murder. They don't investigate your background. They'll let you go guaranteed. You can even do what I did and let the judge know that not only do you have family members who have been victims, but also family members who have also committed similar crimes.

But

Chances are you'll get some shitty case that can be solved within that day.

The ONLY thing that I didn't like about the whole ordeal is having to show up so early. If it were noon time, I would have stayed on that case and let it ride out for a couple of weeks and get time off work. But no, you gotta be there at 8:00. Fuck that z

Phish

I told them to back off bcuz it wasnt their show
Forum Clout
Just go to the damn thing and see if you get called.

Options

1. Ignore the summons and they'll send a summons for you to appear and possibly waste your time even more.

2. Show up. Chances of you even being selected aren't even high and if you do get selected just deal with it. If it's a murder case like I got, just let the judge know that you have family members who have been victims of murder. They don't investigate your background. They'll let you go guaranteed. You can even do what I did and let the judge know that not only do you have family members who have been victims, but also family members who have also committed similar crimes.

But

Chances are you'll get some shitty case that can be solved within that day.

The ONLY thing that I didn't like about the whole ordeal is having to show up so early. If it were noon time, I would have stayed on that case and let it ride out for a couple of weeks and get time off work. But no, you gotta be there at 8:00. Fuck that z
Ya my court case was for crashing my car and using my brothers social and then he got sued for like 80k so I had to admit fault. Case was over in like 4 hours because the insurance covered the car not the driver and statue of limitations on any criminal charges hd passed. I barely bumped the bitch. She just wanted a payday. She ended staying out of work and doing physical therapy and shit and my insurance paid her medical bills and thats it. Not even her “lost wages” (she probably didnt even work).

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
I was able to get out of selection after having to go for the first day... if you have a sympathetic doctor or dentist you can get them to write an excuse or try to get ahold of the county clerk* and explain to them for reasons you won't make a good juror.

*or whomever is the correct person.

ps - i would have stayed if it was an exciting trial but instead it was a medical malpractice case.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
You can get out of jury duty by saying you dont agree with the legal system and would make an awful juror. Instantly get out of jury duty.
Yeah, I was going to ask what would happen if you were just like "I don't want to be here, I'm going to be bored and I'm not going to take this seriously. I'll probably laugh out loud at some point." I guess that falls under being an awful juror. I don't give a shit if they think I'm an immature loser.

Forum Clout
I was able to skip it by saying I had a young child at home I take care of. While it was true and I could prove it they never asked for any proof and took my word for it. That was 6 years ago and I have never been called again. I do know a guy at work who got out of it 6 months ago by calling the court clerk the day before and saying he had tested positive for Covid which they accepted without any proof also. I've also heard of people saying they don't have a reliable mode of transportation and getting out of it. While I think the Nazi and racist shit would be hilarious it seems like the people who work in the courts take themselves way to seriously to find the humor in it. Plus they're mostly kikes

Phish

I told them to back off bcuz it wasnt their show
Forum Clout
Yeah, I was going to ask what would happen if you were just like "I don't want to be here, I'm going to be bored and I'm not going to take this seriously. I'll probably laugh out loud at some point." I guess that falls under being an awful juror. I don't give a shit if they think I'm an immature loser.
The judge can pretty much call anything he wants “contempt” once youre in his courtroom. Id bet theres a fine line in the way you need to address certain judges. Other judges might be like “ya i get it. Gtfo here”. Ive had some many diff types. One who thought a 2 of hash made me a kingpin and another who laughed at the Game Warden when he busted a buncha 20 yr olds drinking on an island ona shallow river (w a DD) and all our trash ina trash bag, which ended up making a huge difference in how the judge treated us. He dropped the charges and said he had more serious business than to mess with this nonsense. BasedJudge.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
The judge can pretty much call anything he wants “contempt” once youre in his courtroom. Id bet theres a fine line in the way you need to address certain judges. Other judges might be like “ya i get it. Gtfo here”. Ive had some many diff types. One who thought a 2 of hash made me a kingpin and another who laughed at the Game Warden when he busted a buncha 20 yr olds drinking on an island ona shallow river (w a DD) and all our trash ina trash bag, which ended up making a huge difference in how the judge treated us. He dropped the charges and said he had more serious business than to mess with this nonsense. BasedJudge.
Not to minimize everything you said or anything, the game wardens have always been merciful to me, but I'm not gonna pay to catch a fucking animal and I don't know how I'd react if they tried to fuck me.