• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Best British comedy show?

Say “Cookie”

ShutYourCakehorn/gassers Alt
Forum Clout
You ever watch The Comic Strip Presents. I love Rik Mayall.

That one I have not. I was obsessed with The Young Ones and Bottom as a kid. I haven’t watched either in years despite the box sets sitting in my closet on a shelf.

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
I always find it interesting when I see US focused best UK comedies nobody brings up only fools and horses which was our biggest comedy of all time by a long way. Its interesting some of our biggest hits make zero impact yet cult shows do translate.

For me peep show, dark place, the office, this country, the Inbetweeners, Alan partridge ( including the newer stuff that I prefer especially the audiobooks)

G

I always find it interesting when I see US focused best UK comedies nobody brings up only fools and horses which was our biggest comedy of all time by a long way. Its interesting some of our biggest hits make zero impact yet cult shows do translate.

For me peep show, dark place, the office, this country, the Inbetweeners, Alan partridge ( including the newer stuff that I prefer especially the audiobooks)
I've honestly never heard of that.

Dennyislife

Forum Clout
I've honestly never heard of that.
It's 80s/90s so a bit dated and cheap now but at it's best it had some great moments. Over 20 million would watch. Something like Peep show got about a million. Same with stuff like one foot in the grave. I think keeping up appearances was weirdly a success in the US so it's not like the styles just didn't cross.

Patrick O'Neal

Forum Clout
If you want a real who's who of British comedians, check out The Day Today.

Created by Armando Iannucci and Chris Morris. First TV appearance of Alan Partridge.

Also written contributions from Stewart Lee and Richard Herring. VERY little chance that Americans have watched Lee and Herring shows.

The used to do good bits mocking comedy and journlist cliches.

20 years later, people are still doing this shit!

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Inbetweeners and Peep Show are two of the best comedy shows ever made.

Alan Partridge is up there with the best comedic characters ever and his entire canon is worth checking out.

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
Forum Clout
WWAWD Waiting for God?
I remember that one on PBS, kinda like Sanford & Son.