Anyone Remember the Interview with Al Jourgensen?

Al Jourgensen was on Opie and Anthony a couple times, and told some great stories, but seemed to be completely and utterly full of shit.

Always amazed me that they gave him a pass while shitting on Tucker Max endlessly.

It's been 15+ years, but IIC, Jourgensen told O&A that the doctors wanted to amputate a toe because he's got the diabeetus, but he wouldn't let them.

Well, it looks like the doctors took it off. But instead of admitting that it's because he's diabetic, now he's claiming that he "stepped on a syringe."

C'mon Al...

0713_music_680x382.jpg

circa 2013

15d6956d3c2021c40d33403d9b6f9b37_465_826_int.jpg

Circa 1985

I fucking hate this leftist faggot cunt. Made entire albums opposing war but clammed right up when it was wars started by the right people. Fucking die already.

THANK YOU

Literally one of the my favorite shows I've ever been to in my life was Ministry, but Al Jourgensen might be one of the greatest living examples of why musicians should just make music and STFU

It's a safe bet that a lot of my favorite musicians don't agree with me politically, but I don't know one way or another because THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT POLITICS 24X7

He really and truly put out some of my favorite music in the 1990s, but by the time this wetbrain heroin addict was pushing sixty, he was cranking out videos where he practically said "if you don't pledge your allegiance to Antifa, don't listen to our music."

Meanwhile, I used to live in Portland, where Antifa basically trashed all of downtown because Muh George Floyd, and Jourgensen lives in the middle of nowhere in Texas. He's never had to deal with Antifa for a single moment of his entire drunken life.

Al has a weird relationship with the truth at times. He claims that "Voices Carry" was about him, and in his autobiography he downplayed Paul Barker's contributions almost entirely. As if those weren't the only good years for Ministry. On the bright side, it sounds like they patched things up, so maybe Ministry will stop being shitty metal band and go back to being, well, good.

Ministry had their moments, but Al always seemed like kind of a dick. He sometimes just tries too hard to be edgy, and it's more annoying than anything else.

FatPatsBaps

Charming, funny, and witty, atalker.
Al has a weird relationship with the truth at times. He claims that "Voices Carry" was about him, and in his autobiography he downplayed Paul Barker's contributions almost entirely. As if those weren't the only good years for Ministry. On the bright side, it sounds like they patched things up, so maybe Ministry will stop being shitty metal band and go back to being, well, good.
Hot take: Ministry wouldn't be where they are without Paul Barker.

Not downplaying Al's vision, but it was clouded by a drug haze and identity crisis - nice 80s new romantic image, stupid / nice 90s/2000s rawkstar druggie image, stupid.

Al Jourgensen had a ton of charisma and music talent, but he needed a Paul Barker, a "bookclub" guy, someone most likely sober (even in the 80s/90s), who understood his train of thought and could direct that energy into something that was musically cutting edge for the time.

Not downplaying Al's vision, but it was clouded by a drug haze and identity crisis - nice 80s new romantic image, stupid / nice 90s/2000s rawkstar druggie image, stupid.

Al Jourgensen had a ton of charisma and music talent, but he needed a Paul Barker, a "bookclub" guy, someone most likely sober (even in the 80s/90s), who understood his train of thought and could direct that energy into something that was musically cutting edge for the time.
Yup. There's a reason that pretty much everyone's favorite stuff is from the Luxa/Pan days. Al clearly needed a straight man to level things out, and it shows in the product. There's a great scene in "Fix" where a deranged Al is handing out protection amulets backstage before a show (to protect them from assassination attempts, IIRC) and the "I guess this is what I am dealing with today" look on Paul's face was priceless.

I haven't heard a note of anything after Animositosimina. Heck, when current-day Ministry opened for Primus and Slayer a couple of years back, I was totally cool showing up late. And, as someone above also said, the one time I saw Ministry was one of my favorite shows. It was the tour for Filth Pig, with Foetus opening.

They had an insanely huge influence in the early 90s, then basically became semi-irrelevant really fast. I haven't read much about the back story of Wax Trax, but I'm guessing that a lot of those albums were basically the outcome of all of these guys having one or two degrees of separation from each other. Almost like what happened in Motown, but decades later.

There was a few years there when Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry were all touring together, partying together, or both.

FatPatsBaps

Charming, funny, and witty, atalker.
They had an insanely huge influence in the early 90s, then basically became semi-irrelevant really fast. I haven't read much about the back story of Wax Trax, but I'm guessing that a lot of those albums were basically the outcome of all of these guys having one or two degrees of separation from each other. Almost like what happened in Motown, but decades later.

There was a few years there when Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry were all touring together, partying together, or both.
I think so - Wax Trax was the label that allowed Jourgensen / Barker to develop the Industrial sound later heard on LORAH and TMIATTTT (Nice acroynms, stupid). A lot of Revolting Cocks is that but sillier, and with Chris Connelly on vocals. I think Nivek Ogre even did the vocal for No Devotion.

There's a ton of collabs with these groups that seemingly go under the radar. Granted, they're nothing remarkable compared to 90s NIN and Ministry, but not bad either. Trent Reznor covered Supernaut with Al Jourgensen.

But yeah, a lot of partying, at least from Al (although I'm unconvinced how much of the stories are true).

Dusty Dan

Yup. There's a reason that pretty much everyone's favorite stuff is from the Luxa/Pan days. Al clearly needed a straight man to level things out, and it shows in the product. There's a great scene in "Fix" where a deranged Al is handing out protection amulets backstage before a show (to protect them from assassination attempts, IIRC) and the "I guess this is what I am dealing with today" look on Paul's face was priceless.

I haven't heard a note of anything after Animositosimina. Heck, when current-day Ministry opened for Primus and Slayer a couple of years back, I was totally cool showing up late. And, as someone above also said, the one time I saw Ministry was one of my favorite shows. It was the tour for Filth Pig, with Foetus opening.
I wish I could've seen Foetus live. Any good?

With Ministry I always assumed the political takes were part of the appeal. It's funny how all these staunchly anti-authoritarian bands pin their flags to the most authoritarian streak of radical leftism going. I haven't checked in on KMFDM lately but I'd imagine they're the same.

I wish I could've seen Foetus live. Any good?

With Ministry I always assumed the political takes were part of the appeal. It's funny how all these staunchly anti-authoritarian bands pin their flags to the most authoritarian streak of radical leftism going. I haven't checked in on KMFDM lately but I'd imagine they're the same.
Foetus was excellent. Never got to see them again (missed a chance in NYC for Flow, in 2001) and it seems that Jim moved on to all kinda weird art projects, despite a couple more albums. There’s a marginal-sounding live album from the era (I think a year before, in Europe) - forget the name, but shouldnt be too hard to find - that summed it up pretty good.

Ministry’s politics back then weren’t much different, you’re right. But they were much more abstract anti-authoritarian. Like Megadeth.

Stealthygeekfan

SHE'S A NIGGER!!
Meanwhile, I used to live in Portland, where Antifa basically trashed all of downtown because Muh George Floyd, and Jourgensen lives in the middle of nowhere in Texas. He's never had to deal with Antifa for a single moment of his entire drunken life.

I lived in Portland around that time too. Their angry at cops, pro black lives matter shit is especially funny and disingenuous as hell considering Portland is 99% white and they all shit themselves at the rare gathering of 3 or more niggers on the max.