• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW people who believe vinyl is the superior way to listen to music

Jack_Horner

Forum Clout
Digital recording was atrocious from about 1980 until 2000, and was especially bad in the beginning.

Audio nerds will argue that 16bit / 44khz is all that anyone needs, but what they're saying ignores the fact that the problem isn't the playback mechanism, it's the recording chain.

Possibly my favorite example of this is "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The song begins with about five seconds of audio that's recorded very simply, and in that very brief moment you get a real sense of the space that it was recorded. On a quality system, you can "hear the room." But then the song kicks in and everything flattens out.

That "flattening" is due to all of the devices that are strung together in the studio. Basically every link in the chain is making things a little bit worse, and it's additive. The first five seconds of the song were obviously recorded in a very simple fashion, and the 'space' in that snippet reflects that.

It also makes me batshit insane that musicians don't know a damn thing about music playback or recording. It's downright criminal that the most famous "audiophile" in the entire community of musicians is Henry Fucking Rollins. Every time I see a multi million selling musician listening to their own music with their speakers placed sideways instead of vertically, I want to knock their teeth out with a microphone.

Then again, musicians might hate me because I know a thing or two about production but next to nothing about music itself.

@FeedNanaOgura is right on the money; I've generally found that it's very much possible to have "the best of both worlds" in 2023. Basically get that old vinyl, rip it carefully to a high resolution format, and play it back digitally. Again, the issue isn't the digital container, the issue is that digital recording in the 80s and 90s was shit.

DACs are pretty good these days, and I do a lot of listening over five dollar DACs, but was kind of amazed by how good a $200 DAC sounds. Which is funny, because a $200 DAC in 2023 exceeds the performance of a $16K DAC from 1993.

Coonskin

Don't thank the felon, Keith
Forum Clout
Ripped several records over the years to get into other private trackers.

What.CD had a great collage of user vinyl rips of albums over $1000 in value. I think RED has something similar

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
I own some vinyl but it's only for albums I want to enjoy from start to finish and not while doing other shit.

Example:

ab67616d00001e02392458f35a950cb40fabe960

It's more of a ritual thing so I can enjoy the music. Listen to the wooooorrrrrddddssss. I would be a douche with a more expensive system if I could justify the cost, but I don't have a pedophile brother giving me an allowance.

I've got the pedophile brother, just not the allowance.
:image_9248:: Wheeeez Oh that was quick!

RapistWithHIV

With Osteoporosis.
Forum Clout
I second that vinyl is the way to go for music that was produced in the analog era. Even digital masters pressed to vinyl seem a bit better when I a/b them against a CD derived flac. Either my cartridge or preamp is smoothing out the highs on records & it's evident when listening loud, my digital source is more shrill. I was love/hate with records when I had an Ortofon 2m red, the first chunk of an LP sounded great but inner grooves distorted until I bought a microline cart.

Telling people you listen to vinyl is embarrassing because of hipster faggots who own them but have no gear to play them or dumb cunts with some plastic nostalgia player trying to be fashionable but just ruining every record they play in the process. I've listened to a lot digitized vinyl via soulseek or YouTube & some are clearly better than the CD source, but I'd say 2/3's of digitized vinyl sound worse than CD because the gear used was shit or not setup well.

High resolution SACD's were a step forward but that was around the time everyone abandoned CD's for mp3's so they didn't take off. 5.1 surround music can be good but a lot of them are weird because the producer didn't know what to do with the extra speakers. I heard one where the drums were entirely in the rear speakers. Nice mix, stupid.

AliceWorquer

Fat bitch with faggot tits
Forum Clout
Vinyl people are mostly boring as shit, even if they have a cool collection, but the people who just have a handful of random records and talk vaguely about how warm they all sound are the worst. The only vinyl listeners I can really tolerate are the ones that have no desire to tell me that they listen to vinyl.
And any album that wasn't mixed with vinyl in mind has no real reason to be in anybodies collection.

Easily_Remembered

"And young. So young."
Forum Clout
I was a faggot who was collecting vinyl while in high school in the 90s. I even had a subscription to Goldmine magazine lol. It was actually a lot of fun back then because record stores were really hard to find, and you had to really look for vinyl back then. I even lucked out and picked up a couple of sealed 8 tracks for next to nothing.

No way would I collect vinyl now. But I did keep the shit I picked up back then.

HipTuckerCumia

hard drive full of CP media
Forum Clout
Audio nerds will argue that 16bit / 44khz is all that anyone needs, but what they're saying ignores the fact that the problem isn't the playback mechanism, it's the recording chain.
This is true, but more accurately, the problem is the way music is mixed for CD's and other digital formats. Vinyl has certain psychical limitations especially when it comes dynamic range in the bass frequencies. Too much bass, too compressed dynamically and the needle will physically start to distort and may even skip. Radio stations used to (and still do) add their own processing to music to make their channels 'louder' and more 'punchy' than their competitors. With the CD format it became possible to mix albums like that. This coincided with all kinds of new digital tools becoming widely available.

The problem is when you try to make music louder and louder at some point even heavy rock will start to sound thin, dimensionless and just outright nasty. Especially when the music is listened loud with good equipment. Metallica's Death Magnetic (extremely fatiguing to listen to) is probably the most famous example of this, but ALL POPULAR MUSIC was affected to some degree.

In recent years Spotify, Apple Music and Youtube have put in artificial limitations on how compressed music on their platforms can be and still be played at full volume. If it's too loud and compressed, they will turn it down. This allows music mixed with more dynamic range to shine. This has in some ways ended the so called 'loudness war' and is rapidly changing how music is being mixed. However, the limits they set arguably didn't go far enough.

1073waaf

The ONLY station that REALLY ROCKS!
Forum Clout
I don’t think vinyl is necessarily superior, but it does have a distinct timbral quality that many people enjoy. Same thing goes for cassettes or any other physical media. A lot of music producers will run digitally recorded audio through tape machines for post processing because of the natural richness and dynamic compression it adds. I think the same principle applies to vinyl.