Where we at with mnemonics?

I fucking hate them!

I've been learning stuff so I'm actually useful post-apocalypse, & asshoe's trying to teach with mnemonics keep popping-up.

I'd rather learn a couple of levels deeper to understand causation rather than a stupid non-sequitur which makes no logical sense to me. Also my spelling lags way behind my knowledge.

mnemonics are for people with small brains, change my mind.

Last edited:

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Mnemonics are just taught badly. They're mostly taught as a cheat to get you through a test.

They're supposed to be used like a scaffolding until you learn through other methods. Like if you learn music you're taught a little rhyme to remember what note goes on what line. This is enough to keep you going until you just remember it through repetition.

The same goes for the order of the planets from the sun. It might get you through a junior high class, but if you're even mildly interested in space then the order of the planets just becomes naturally ingrained. If you don't remember then it wasn't important enough and you were just wasting your time to begin with.

Mnemonics are just taught badly. They're mostly taught as a cheat to get you through a test.

They're supposed to be used like a scaffolding until you learn through other methods. Like if you learn music you're taught a little rhyme to remember what note goes on what line. This is enough to keep you going until you just remember it through repetition.

The same goes for the order of the planets from the sun. It might get you through a junior high class, but if you're even mildly interested in space then the order of the planets just becomes naturally ingrained. If you don't remember then it wasn't important enough and you were just wasting your time to begin with.
I kinda get ya, but it was medical stuff I was learning, where I think it'd be beneficial to learn one step deeper, maybe mnemonics just don't work with my brain & seems to me like the antithesis of logical thinking... it's just memory tricks over actual understanding, & I can't subscribe to that.

I'm self-taught on the guitar, & recognising which scales are which came later - no rhymes required.

I guess I like to understand things down to a molecular (if not atomic) level, & the greatest names in STEM fields didn't teach/get-taught in mnemonics. I guess it might give some people an 'in', but should we? Maybe if people don't understand difficult stuff we should filter them out, rather than teaching them with the equivalent of nursery rhymes... this is the first time I've agreed that cops shouldn't let people sing the alphabet at a DUI.

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
I guess I like to understand things down to a molecular (if not atomic) level, & the greatest names in STEM fields didn't teach/get-taught in mnemonics. I guess it might give some people an 'in', but should we? Maybe if people don't understand difficult stuff we should filter them out, rather than teaching them with the equivalent of nursery rhymes... this is the first time I've agreed that cops shouldn't let people sing the alphabet at a DUI.

I don't know who you mean by the "greatest names" but it's standard practice in STEM fields to use mnemonics. ABCDE is a common one in medicine for Airway Breathing Circulation Disability Exposure, the order of life threatening problems to check for. You might say what kind of stupid doctor would need a mnemonic to remember that, but then it wouldn't just be doctors, but paramedics, nurses, first aiders. They also have to remember thousands of things, and a mnemonic can serve as a mental checklist just in case you miss anything.

Airline pilots have a few too
"White over white, check your height
Red over white, you're alright
Red over Red, you're dead"

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
I don't know who you mean by the "greatest names" but it's standard practice in STEM fields to use mnemonics. ABCDE is a common one in medicine for Airway Breathing Circulation Disability Exposure, the order of life threatening problems to check for. You might say what kind of stupid doctor would need a mnemonic to remember that, but then it wouldn't just be doctors, but paramedics, nurses, first aiders. They also have to remember thousands of things, and a mnemonic can serve as a mental checklist just in case you miss anything.

Seems like there's potential for confusion with having two lines rhyme with "white"

actually ABC I'm aware-of & yeah, but what was being taught was way more retarded (to my mind anyway), maybe it was just this guy's teaching... I can't give a quick example 'cus I had to ignore it for my own learning. If you're flying; just keep the blue-side up my dude.

also, 'ABC fit an alphabet we all know already, this wasn't that... & good luck teaching that in another language

Last edited:

'THE NIGGER MAN'

Shane Noakes' rabbi raped his 9 year old dick off.
Seems like there's potential for confusion with having two lines rhyme with "white"
194BAC74-B43B-454D-99A8-F229028777DD.png