• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Watching Succession - Question

Stent

jewery duty
Forum Clout
I liked the Tom and Greg dynamic but finding out that reddit was gay for them kinda spoiled it a bit. I assume the whole show was an excuse to film in expensive locations with lots of rich people toys.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
I liked the Tom and Greg dynamic but finding out that reddit was gay for them kinda spoiled it a bit. I assume the whole show was an excuse to film in expensive locations with lots of rich people toys.
The best part of the show was that everything was at least real. Real Rolex and Patek watches, actual NYC penthouses, giant yachts, tons of helicopter rides where they actually show them flying and taking off and landing. You watch almost any other show about wealthy families and businessmen and there is no immersion at all.

Watch any other show about 'corporate' power and it looks pathetic in terms of the scale.

HR@PaneraBread

Pretty soon we won't even need to come to work
Forum Clout
The best part of the show was that everything was at least real. Real Rolex and Patek watches, actual NYC penthouses, giant yachts, tons of helicopter rides where they actually show them flying and taking off and landing. You watch almost any other show about wealthy families and businessmen and there is no immersion at all.

Watch any other show about 'corporate' power and it looks pathetic in terms of the scale.
The way it's shot is pretty unique too and contributes to the immersion. The cameras feel like uninvited guests when there's lots of people around. There are extras passing by in the shot during conversations at parties and the strange far away angles are done specifically to make you feel like you're watching something you shouldn't be. It kinda taps into your sense of voyeurism. You rarely ever see a straight up over the shoulder shot. It's also one of the best acted shows in a long time, the peripheral reactions from people make it seem real and you catch a glimpse of it which in most cases is enough to add a lot of nuance to a scene.

This also relates to OPs question. No one in this show is likeable but for everything that happens someone is getting the shitty end of it and you find out before they do most of the time. Whether you like the characters or not you have a reason to watch them because they all choose to be there and get some measure of punishment over the course of the whole story