• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Too pretty for SciFi: The Jeffe Kennedy story

captain_kamala

Calling all simps
Forum Clout
Jeffe got her start in romance, and since her books included themes like a father raping his 12 year old daughter, she was able to cross over into the sci fi community. She found herself an outcast in the community because of the way she dresses. If they can accept homo freaks, why can't they accept her?

All of this is to say that I found my footing as a writer first in the romance community. Then, as my publishing credentials allowed me to join SFWA—and as readers recognized my books to be fantasy as much as romance—I began attending SFF conventions also. And I wore my big hats, my high heels, red lipstick and flowing dresses.

What surprised me were the women in SFF who told me I shouldn’t be so performatively female. These conversations happened repeatedly at various events, with a few women earnestly advising me that I didn’t “have” to dress that way, and others suggesting that I’d never be taken seriously if I continued in my girly-girl ways.

In the field of SFF, more authors who are trans, non-binary, ace, bisexual and homosexual are being read and welcomed for the diverse perspectives they bring. So why are we still treating heteronormative femininity as somehow less than?

captain_kamala

Calling all simps
Forum Clout
666efa8c6940edf36ff70d3454733910.jpg

db4c07815b625826c8f70702bd4e1ffd.jpg

Clint Ruin

I'm sorry, who are you?
Forum Clout
Jeffe got her start in romance, and since her books included themes like a father raping his 12 year old daughter, she was able to cross over into the sci fi community. She found herself an outcast in the community because of the way she dresses. If they can accept homo freaks, why can't they accept her?

All of this is to say that I found my footing as a writer first in the romance community. Then, as my publishing credentials allowed me to join SFWA—and as readers recognized my books to be fantasy as much as romance—I began attending SFF conventions also. And I wore my big hats, my high heels, red lipstick and flowing dresses.

What surprised me were the women in SFF who told me I shouldn’t be so performatively female. These conversations happened repeatedly at various events, with a few women earnestly advising me that I didn’t “have” to dress that way, and others suggesting that I’d never be taken seriously if I continued in my girly-girl ways.

In the field of SFF, more authors who are trans, non-binary, ace, bisexual and homosexual are being read and welcomed for the diverse perspectives they bring. So why are we still treating heteronormative femininity as somehow less than?
Has no one explained to her that being feminine isn't the problem here?