Norm on Bill Hicks

Rutherford_b_Blaze

Massachusetts State Senator
jeynzeuifb781.jpg

CruisinColin

Norm said Bill Hicks wasn't brave or edgy because he got on stage and complained about big corporations. But no one likes big corporations, so he wasn't telling the audience anything new. Whereas Kinison would make fun of woman, in front of couples out on dates.
I think the mistake here is talking about that stuff as if it was 2023. Making fun of women wasn't exactly edgy forty years ago, it was old hat.

Take my wife, please!
But no one likes big corporations
Most people go through life without having a single care about how corporations affect their life. Especially back then. And I guarantee after reading that somebody is already typing "maaaan" as a response.

For the record, I don't like the comedy of either Hicks or Kinison.

Rutherford_b_Blaze

He was never married, right?
He was married once but he had been divorced many years by the time he did that bit. He got separated around the time he was rumored to be fucking Elle McPherson. There's a Stern interview out there where Howard makes him confess to being separated. He's dressed as Bob Dole so that was mid-late 90s.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
Hicks is gateway comedy that people are embarrassed to admit they enjoyed after their tastes develop. A bit like how no death metal fans will admit they started out with Slipknot and Lamb of God.

I'm not too proud to admit I found some of his stuff funny in my late teens and early 20s.
“I go threw two lighters per day” and “so you think Jesus wants to see a cross when he comes back” are pretty funny.

Rutherford_b_Blaze

Hicks is gateway comedy that people are embarrassed to admit they enjoyed after their tastes develop. A bit like how no death metal fans will admit they started out with Slipknot and Lamb of God.

I'm not too proud to admit I found some of his stuff funny in my late teens and early 20s.
I loved Bill Hicks in my early teens. I don't think I ever actually laughed at his comedy though.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Carlin and Hicks do not hold up well at all. Even their apolitical stuff is not really funny nor amusing. And neither of them were ever edgy because they only ever mocked Whites or Christians. And even then their mockery was in the faggiest ways possible. When Kinison mocked going to church it came from a unique place because he was a former evangelical preacher who toured all of America.

I would argue that even someone like Artie Lange is funnier than Carlin and Hicks. His stories of drugs and alcohol are mostly true. Stuff like him getting arrested for robbing a bank as a teenager. His stories of his father being crippled and likely being suffocated and mercy killed by one of his friends are extremely dark.

Queefer Sutherland

Fix me, Josh!
Carlin and Hicks do not hold up well at all. Even their apolitical stuff is not really funny nor amusing. And neither of them were ever edgy because they only ever mocked Whites or Christians. And even then their mockery was in the faggiest ways possible. When Kinison mocked going to church it came from a unique place because he was a former evangelical preacher who toured all of America.

I would argue that even someone like Artie Lange is funnier than Carlin and Hicks. His stories of drugs and alcohol are mostly true. Stuff like him getting arrested for robbing a bank as a teenager. His stories of his father being crippled and likely being suffocated and mercy killed by one of his friends are extremely dark.

Imager

Making fun of women is my bit
Jackie's ass. Officer Nigger Beater. God put you here to test my faith. Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever.

Unfortunately many of the popular, martyred stand ups don't age well because popular comedic tastes change a bit with the times. If you listen to early Steve Martin or George Carlin they're absolutely not good at all and the audience is HOWLING.

Bill Hicks was a product of his time. And a liberal Texan who hated Republicans definitely had an audience. Before he died he saw that Clinton was no different.

What makes Hicks different is that there wasn't much mainstream attention on him until Letterman canceled him and then he died. And even then he was underground so it was like you were discovering something.

But yeah his stuff doesn't hold up. Very few comedians will be as timeless as this:

aiZwaWQ9QXBp

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
What makes Hicks different is that there wasn't much mainstream attention on him until Letterman canceled him and then he died. And even then he was underground so it was like you were discovering something.
Were you even around for Hicks? Because I remember things differently. Hicks was seen as a poor comedian in America. His tours were small and no one found him funny even outside of the political ranting. Everyone I know hated his act and he would bomb and walk off stage often in US shows. His whole being censored from Letterman was him knowing he would be censored and doing his jokes on a family friendly show and then whining like a bitch as if his eating pussy and cancer jokes were ever going to air. Going on a family friendly show and doing adult humor and then not getting your act aired is not censorship it is just a bitch move.

Hicks gained a massive audience in the UK and Europe because his entire act was basically "America is shit!! White people are SHIT!!! CHRISTIANITY IS SHIT!!!". He was so popular in the UK he recorded most of his specials there and had signed a TV gig to be a talk show host in England. He would do jokes like "Blacks have bigger penises than Whites!!!" that didn't even have a punchline or thought to them. Only liberal fags in modern American ever liked Hicks. But Hicks had tons of mainstream attention in Europe because his entire act was built around European audiences.

Imager

Making fun of women is my bit
Were you even around for Hicks? Because I remember things differently. Hicks was seen as a poor comedian in America. His tours were small and no one found him funny even outside of the political ranting. Everyone I know hated his act and he would bomb and walk off stage often in US shows. His whole being censored from Letterman was him knowing he would be censored and doing his jokes on a family friendly show and then whining like a bitch as if his eating pussy and cancer jokes were ever going to air. Going on a family friendly show and doing adult humor and then not getting your act aired is not censorship it is just a bitch move.

Hicks gained a massive audience in the UK and Europe because his entire act was basically "America is shit!! White people are SHIT!!! CHRISTIANITY IS SHIT!!!". He was so popular in the UK he recorded most of his specials there and had signed a TV gig to be a talk show host in England. He would do jokes like "Blacks have bigger penises than Whites!!!" that didn't even have a punchline or thought to them. Only liberal fags in modern American ever liked Hicks. But Hicks had tons of mainstream attention in Europe because his entire act was built around European audiences.
I was but a wee lad when Hicks was touring the US. I 'discovered' him after he died. And I had just entered college so I thought I was listening to someone smart and cool. I do still like the 'Rant in E-Minor' as a title.

After only knowing Denis Leary and seeing a more real version of that, yeah, I liked him.

But a few years ago I went back and listened and was like, there's a lot of dead air and long period of no laughing.

I want to like him but anything I like him for isn't related to his comedy. Him going on Texas public access and calling out the US Government for firing on the Waco compound with tanks (while showing the footage) was also ballsy. But then he had to go and die.

As always, thanks for the history lesson.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
He was married once but he had been divorced many years by the time he did that bit. He got separated around the time he was rumored to be fucking Elle McPherson. There's a Stern interview out there where Howard makes him confess to being separated. He's dressed as Bob Dole so that was mid-late 90s.
That’s why I liked Norm, he kept his life a complete mystery - even to the point he was dying for 10 years and barely told anyone. I was a huge fan of his since the 90s and all I knew about his personal life was he was Canadian, had a son, was once married, had a brother who was a tv news reporter in Canada, and he loved to gamble.