• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Is it worth following someone with less than 100k followers on Twitter?

Patrick O'Neal

Forum Clout
Some small local businesses and niche academics have only 20k - 40k. Fair enough.

But even an unpublished author like this has 180k followers.

If someone is a writer, or wants to have a voice at a national level, is it even worth bothering following them if they have less than 100k? (Say, I don't know... somewhere around the 50k mark.)

G

Someone like you're describing probably only has around 50k followers because they don't spend much of their time on twitter. They're probably too busy writing in their study at home, networking in the real world and almost certainly have a family and children to take care of. Any aspiring political firebrand or author who spent even "as little as" an hour a day on Twitter would have followers in the hundreds of thousands. Unless they were really, really shit at it and extremely hateable.

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Forum Clout
Any aspiring political firebrand or author who spent even "as little as" an hour a day on Twitter would have followers in the hundreds of thousands. Unless they were really, really shit at it and extremely hateable.

I can confirm this to be accurate. Take for example, known grifter, John Pavlovitz. He spends all day tweeting self-aggrandizing nonsense but he also gains hundreds of new followers each day, which I'm sure equates to financial benefit.

Only a person who was extraordinarily mentally ill would put so much effort into tweeting if say, they were losing followers every day and getting no financial benefit from it. Such a person would also likely be fat.

Patrick O'Neal

Forum Clout
Right. I guess most writers and other experts Tweet what, once a week? When they have something worth saying.

So, 100 new followers a day or 100 new followers per Tweet would be a normal metric to expect – rather than total number of followers.

If someone in the creative industry had Tweeted 500 times and racked up 50k followers they might not be a complete piece of shit.

JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS

DMANIAC
Forum Clout
I would say no. Having a 5 figure follower count is impressive if you're a regular person who fills their day with other stuff like working or doing family things like coaching little league.

Pat is none of those things. Pat is a born loser, even on his chosen platform.

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
Yes, but only if they have a blue checkmark. That shows that Twitter has verified the importance of this person, so you know you are getting a quality account to follow, despite the, quite honestly, pathetically low number of followers.

Don't tell me you are considering following someone on Twitter without a large following or checkmark? That would be a waste of time.