• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

I'm currently rewatching "Rome". It's still awesome!

G

Disagreements?

ebc84520b87eab934d04aa066062dd36.jpg

Monk

Forum Clout

STANDATFUCKINGATTENTIONWHENIMTALKINGTOYOU

Rome was fucking great. Really wish it would have got the full run Heller planned with more Egypt in the third and fourth season then the start of Christianity in Palestine in the final season. A spin-off with Ciaran Hinds covering Caesar's earlier years would be great too.

G

A spin-off with Ciaran Hinds covering Caesar's earlier years would be great too.
He was great in it. The second season was weaker from not having him in it.

Caesar's murder in the Senate was so well done; the chaos and panic of it. A bunch of aristocratic nerds turned killers for a minute, no clue what they were doing, screaming like girls, blindly stabbing at him, slipping over in his blood.

I remember the first time I saw it thinking "Jesus, this is so realistic-seeming, if he says "Et tu, Brute?" now it's going to seem corny and out of place." Then Tobias Menzies, great as Brutus, stepped up, tears in his eyes, and Hinds looks at him and says it with his eyes. Great acting.

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Forum Clout
I remember the first time I saw it thinking "Jesus, this is so realistic-seeming, if he says "Et tu, Brute?" now it's going to seem corny and out of place." Then Tobias Menzies, great as Brutus, stepped up, tears in his eyes, and Hinds looks at him and says it with his eyes. Great acting.

You're making me want to see it now. Would love to see a well made show about Seneca and Nero. Imagine being able to command someone to kill themselves, and they actually do it. Now that's felony cyberstalking.

G

You're making me want to see it now. Would love to see a well made show about Seneca and Nero. Imagine being able to command someone to kill themselves, and they actually do it. Now that's felony cyberstalking.
Do you mean you haven't seen Rome before or you want to see it again?

G

I've never seen the show. I remember thinking it looked cheap.
It's great, especially the first season. If you're into history and that period, you'll love it.

Here's the scene I was talking about. Not exactly a spoiler alert. Everyone knows what happened. But still has an effect even though I've seen it a few times. "Et tu, Brute?" @ 2:03

[MEDIA=youtube]JH3dea5bnyw[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

I've never seen the show. I remember thinking it looked cheap.
It definitely doesn't have a "Cheap" feel to it. It's the 9th most expensive per episode show ever made. Most of the shows higher up on the list are only so due to actor salaries like friends.

They had to condense A LOT, so it's far from completely accurate, but does a good job considering the subject matter and limited episodes given.

IMHO, it's definitely the best swords and sandals TV show ever made. Spartacus was fun, but definitely had that cheap feel to it.

G

Fantastic show, Polly Walker's performance was eclipsed only by her luscious beefers.
It's funny that she played one of the most blue blood characters on the show when any Englishman would take one look at her and mark her as a game slag from up North. Was no surprise to learn she was a Lancashire lass. Yeah, nice tits though.

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Forum Clout
It definitely doesn't have a "Cheap" feel to it. It's the 9th most expensive per episode show ever made. Most of the shows higher up on the list are only so due to actor salaries like friends.

They had to condense A LOT, so it's far from completely accurate, but does a good job considering the subject matter and limited episodes given.

IMHO, it's definitely the best swords and sandals TV show ever made. Spartacus was fun, but definitely had that cheap feel to it.

I might be mixing those two shows up. There are also seems to be 2 or three shows about Vikings at the moment, and I don't know which one of them is good.

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
Bumping this thread because I am in the midst of a rewatch. Love how they depict Octavian as an autistic robot. Has sex with his sister, but says it's alright because the phase of the Moon means she won't get pregnant, then asks what favor she was seeking by seducing him.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
Forum Clout
I was dissapointed how they portrayed Cato the Younger as a old man while he was younger than Julius Caesar, also hated how they portrayed Cicero as some sort of snivelling coward, while he was anything of the sort.

Loved how they portrayed Pompey and especially Caesar though, Hinds is the quintessential Caesar for me.

A lot of wasted potential, I Claudius still remains my favorite show about Ancient Rome by a long shot.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Bumping this thread because I am in the midst of a rewatch. Love how they depict Octavian as an autistic robot. Has sex with his sister, but says it's alright because the phase of the Moon means she won't get pregnant, then asks what favor she was seeking by seducing him.
That's canny, I just got done listening to Caesar and Augustus biographies back to back. It's funny how wrong the show characterized some of the individuals. Octavian wasn't a sperg, Atia and Octavia weren't hoes, Cato as an old geezer and so on. I mean, I get why they added that shit, but it's still amusing.

I'd say what seperates Rome from most other shows and films set in the period is how much it tries to make the setting feel real. They really took an effort to add a lot of detail and atmosphere to make it all look so interesting and believable. Little touches like all the little rituals and shrines and gods they worship. It might not be 100% historically accurate, but it is one of the most historically authentic shows I've watched. It feels like a real, lived-in world instead of a sterile set with some fag actors in it. You've got later shows like Spartacus which thought that peppering tits and swearing in every scene was what makes a show feel 'gritty' and real but that didn't work. That doesn't mean that they're bad or anything, just that I'm always acutely aware that I'm watching actors, instead of getting drawn into a historical setting in the same way Rome did.